2024/2025 Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Here's what I think is Johnny Hockey's last GWG (with an assist from Kylington) against the Avs. I swear he scored another OT game-winner on a breakaway in a different game because I think that's Vladar in the Flames net for this one in this highlight, and I swear the one I'm thinking of it was David Rittich, because he was being such a smug asshole the whole game and came out clapping right when Gaudreau got the puck and was gone, knowing he would score.

Dude was a phenomenal talent, can't deny that. Still in denial over what happened.

Reactions: drhiii

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Shocking news. I don’t even know what to say. It is beyond words. Brings back bad memories. My sister’s best friend was killed by a guy on drugs literally racing through our home town twenty years ago. The whole town was affected. She was passing on a pedestrian field with a green light, and the guy simply rammed into her at 90 km/h launching her and her bike more than 50 meters. She was 15. He only got 3 years, which was maximum at the time.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Shocking news. I don’t even know what to say. It is beyond words. Brings back bad memories. My sister’s best friend was killed by a guy on drugs literally racing through our home town twenty years ago. The whole town was affected. She was passing on a pedestrian field with a green light, and the guy simply rammed into her at 90 km/h launching her and her bike more than 50 meters. She was 15. He only got 3 years, which was maximum at the time.
Have no idea how long ago this was but damn, I hope your sister and her friend's family were able to recover as well as possible.

I also hope you do not mind me using your post a bit as a means a to push a couple of points...

1. There was a family yesterday that was in more pain than many have never felt and those of us that have wish like hell we hadn't. Yet, while this was unfolding, people were actually cyberstalking his childhood home online and drawing maps to the accident site and posting this shit online everywhere. This shit had to be EXTREMELY traumatic to the Gaudreau family. It struck me as completely cold and completely unnecessary considering no statement had been made yet regarding the identities. Yes, they were right, but it's still just...I mean, is this how we want society to work? Folks online digging into everything about a family going through a f***ing a tragedy instead of just giving them some space to breath?

2. This is the bigger point. This shit happens on average every 39 minutes in the United States alone. 1 death from drunken driving every 39 minutes. 37 people every single f***ing day. Yet the outrage, only appears to happen when a celebrity is involved. Seriously, drunk drivers kill more than mass shooters. MADD was big deal in the 80s, what's happened since then?

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Others have also noted it's not just the fact he was drunk, he was driving aggressively and that happens WAY too often, especially nowadays. I'd be all for more stringent laws regarding aggressive driving, problem is that's kinda tough to enforce without evidence.
With new vehicles, we have so many cameras now soon this will no longer he an issue.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Very sad news. By all accounts, both Gaudreau's had an infectious sprit that brightened up people's lives. We need more of that in the world, not less. They will be missed for sure by many.

Feel for his sister as well. Whenever they (presumably) reschedule her wedding, it's going to be nearly impossible for it not to be a sad day, instead of a happy one.

Cycling just always seems so dangerous unfortunately. You have no control over what drivers are doing, and very little awareness of whether they are paying attention behind you, so you can take evasive action.

I know he's not the victim here, and he deserves to be held accountable, but I hope social media doesn't go on a vengeance campaign against the driver. That won't help anyone.

Understandable reaction, but his stupid mistake just ruined his and his families lives too. He may have children that will be hurt by this, because he's going to prison for a while. He admitted to being drunk and that it contributed to his impatience and reckless driving. The DA will probably go for the max because they're public figures. If he has young children, they'll be losing a father when they need him the most, and that will undoubtably have a significant negative impact on their life.

Just a very sad human story that unfortunately isn't as rare as it should be. RIP.

Reactions: The Moops

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I can't wait for all vehicles on the road to have collision sensors and auto turn and break features.
Blood alcohol concentration (BAC) analyzers have been a thing since the late 60s.

Just make them mandatory as an interlock for starting a vehicle or heavy machinery. Hell, you could even use a breathalyzer in lieu of a fob for starting the car as we all have breath as unique as our fingerprints. Technology can actually trace breath to a specific individual much like a fingerprint, iris scanner or any other biometric scanner does.

Reactions: sethro109

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Blood alcohol concentration (BAC) analyzers have been a thing since the late 60s.
Are these used by police officers everywhere in the US nowadays, or do police officers somewhere still do the stupid sobriety tests along the roads? In which a person might actually be able to convince an officer that they are sober, but are in fact intoxicated?

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Guy better PRAY that he never sees freedom again.
I hate that tweet. That's less than 24 hrs after the accident and this guy is obviously still in panic/survival mode and looking for an exit. I'd not read into this reaction at all.

He didn't flee the scene, he didn't try to hide that he drank some beer. He more than likely just want to wake up like everyone else involved.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I hate that tweet. That's less than 24 hrs after the accident and this guy is obviously still in panic/survival mode. I'd not read into this reaction at all.

He didn't flee the scene, he didn't try to hide that he drank some beer. He more than likely just want to wake up like everyone else involved.

Yeah, I'm not trying to defend the guy. He made a terrible mistake that cost two people their lives, and affected countless others.

But that's a natural reaction for anyone who just made the worst mistake of their life, and presumably hasn't spent much if any time in jail, hearing they're going to spend 6 days in jail without bond, because the long weekend delays the mandatory 72 hour hold the judge referenced.

How much he is or isn't remorseful isn't on display there and remains to be seen.

Reactions: Balthazar

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Have no idea how long ago this was but damn, I hope your sister and her friend's family were able to recover as well as possible.

I also hope you do not mind me using your post a bit as a means a to push a couple of points...

1. There was a family yesterday that was in more pain than many amongst us have felt yet and those of us that have wish like hell we hadn't. Yet, while this was unfolding, people were actually cyberstalking his childhood home online and drawing maps to the accident site and posting this shit online everywhere. This shit had to be EXTREMELY traumatic to the Gaudreau family. It struck me as completely cold and completely unnecessary considering no statement had been made yet regarding the identities. Yes, they were right, but it's still just...I mean, is this how we want society to work? Folks online digging into everything about a family going through a f***ing a tragedy instead of just giving them some space to breath?

2. This is the bigger point. This shit happens on average every 39 minutes in the United States alone. 1 death from drunken driving every 39 minutes. 37 people every single f***ing day. Yet the outrage, only appears to happen when a celebrity is involved. Seriously, drunk drivers kill more than mass shooters. MADD was big deal in the 80s, what's happened since then?
Couldn’t agree more.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
MADD was big deal in the 80s, what's happened since then?
Cherry picking this part of your great post, I agree with everything you said.

MADD are still about, I know this because someone I know was prescribed some effed up medication by their doctor, and didn't realize the effect it would have on them, went for a drive, ended up completely impaired and confused and didn't know what to do, so tried to get back home in a panic. They ended up hitting a parked car and getting arrested. They ended up with a DWAI and had to go to a few MADD sessions. So they are still around, but they don't seem as vocal nowadays? It's a losing battle in all likelihood, this country has an epidemic of drunk and distracted drivers. Which is appalling given all the options available to people nowadays. Stand on any street corner for longer than a few minutes and you'll see some f***nut scrolling on their phone while driving, or some knobhead holding their phone to talk - there's not been a phone or a car built without bluetooth for over a decade, f***ing connect to the car and stop holding the phone like a neanderthal.

I have no time for these idiots who can't wait until they are home to scroll instagram. Get a f***ing grip. Is your life that empty that you cannot wait 5 minutes?

The worst part about it is that I can teach my kids when they learn to drive to not do this shit, but it doesn't matter if there's some other dipshit doing it on the road causing accident.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
One thing I'd like to see car companies and the government investigate is using phones to access vehicles and use them to start the ignition - why? Because if you have to use your phone to do that, then the mobile OS manufacturers could also disable things like handheld calling, apps etc.

If you're driving, you shouldn't be able to use your phone at all. If its connected using Android Auto or Apple Auto, then you can interact with it through the dashboard/screen but you cannot use it manually. It should be disabled, the screen off and you cannot enable it without turning off the engine, or maybe going into park.

The problem is if there's any other way of turning on the car, people will just do that instead so they can continue to go on tik tok when driving.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
One thing I'd like to see car companies and the government investigate is using phones to access vehicles and use them to start the ignition - why? Because if you have to use your phone to do that, then the mobile OS manufacturers could also disable things like handheld calling, apps etc.
It would be investigated for like 5 minutes, because even if that would be applied to new cars (which it wouldn't, because the idea of having to have a phone with an internet connection to start your car is ludicrous), good luck trying to mandate such a thing with the way cars lifecycle goes. Are you going to ban cars from everyone else who can afford to buy a new car? Here in Finland, the average age of a car is 13 years. But even that is skewed so much. The further you go to the countryside, where people actually need cars, the older the cars get.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
It would be investigated for like 5 minutes, because even if that would be applied to new cars (which it wouldn't, because the idea of having to have a phone with an internet connection to start your car is ludicrous), good luck trying to mandate such a thing with the way cars lifecycle goes. Are you going to ban cars from everyone else who can afford to buy a new car? Here in Finland, the average age of a car is 13 years. But even that is skewed so much. The further you go to the countryside, where people actually need cars, the older the cars get.
Why would you need an internet connection? It could work the same as Google Wallet or Apple Pay work, they do not require an internet connection. We already have the technology for wireless secure authentication, you could add your car key to your phone wallet and it could work similarly to contactless NFC stuff.

Also, someone smarter than me could probably figure out a way to retrofit some sort of dock to a car. The phone needs to be in the dock for the car to start, and when it is, its disabled. It doesnt seem super farfetched to me at all. You could also phase it in. Similarly to how seatbelts were phased in but mandated.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Are these used by police officers everywhere in the US nowadays, or do police officers somewhere still do the stupid sobriety tests along the roads? In which a person might actually be able to convince an officer that they are sober, but are in fact intoxicated?
They are normally administered after a field sobriety test (stupid human tricks) has been performed. Their accuracy is pretty damn good and they use them to get a darn good baseline for BAC before they actually request a court order for a blood draw. I believe most states consider the denial to blow in a BAC device to be equivalent to either a "No contest" plea or an admission of guilt when it comes to how their license are handled moving forward. However, I'd imagine that all 50 states have slightly different views on "no contest" pleas and how they are handled or allowed.

I seriously doubt cops are fooled by anyone though. They either knowingly allow someone intoxicated to continue on their way or they put them behind bars.

Reactions: drhiii and LOFIN

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Why would you need an internet connection? It could work the same as Google Wallet or Apple Pay work, they do not require an internet connection. We already have the technology for wireless secure authentication, you could add your car key to your phone wallet and it could work similarly to contactless NFC stuff.

Also, someone smarter than me could probably figure out a way to retrofit some sort of dock to a car. The phone needs to be in the dock for the car to start, and when it is, its disabled. It doesnt seem super farfetched to me at all. You could also phase it in. Similarly to how seatbelts were phased in but mandated.
Ok, no internet. How about a phone in any capacity?

I drove a car today at my work. Didn't have a phone on me. Crazy thought for you? One of my co-workers dropped though the ice when he went ice-fishing this winter. Lucky for him, he was able to get out of the water, walk to his car and get it started, warm up and go home. He would've f***ing died with your idea, with his phone dead, clothes wet, -15 degrees celcius.

A car is not something that should require a phone to be able to operate. I don't even know how you would integrate your idea to my friends '84 Corolla, but good luck.

The majority of us don't hold up a phone while driving. The solution is to police those who do.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
One of my co-workers dropped though the ice when he went ice-fishing this winter. Lucky for him, he was able to get out of the water, walk to his car and get it started, warm up and go home. He would've f***ing died with your idea, with his phone dead, clothes wet, -15 degrees celcius.
And how's that any different to losing his keys? If he had dropped his keys in the ice he'd be f***ing dead?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
They are normally administered after a field sobriety test (stupid human tricks) has been performed. Their accuracy is pretty damn good and they use them to get a darn good baseline for BAC before they actually request a court order for a blood draw. I believe most states consider the denial to blow in a BAC device to be equivalent to either a "No contest" plea or an admission of guilt when it comes to how their license are handled moving forward. However, I'd imagine that all 50 states have slightly different views on "no contest" pleas and how they are handled or allowed.

I seriously doubt cops are fooled by anyone though. They either knowingly allow someone intoxicated to continue on their way or they put them behind bars.
Most states consider it that, but that’s also the best way to fight a DUI.

There are technological ways to stop this issue from happening. You get into a number of issues and philosophical problems. We can stop speeding today, but a lot of people will bitch and moan about not being able to go 80 in a 75. Blowing into a tube for your car to drive will piss off another set. Unlikely for any of these types of things to pass, despite the valid arguments for them.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
And how's that any different to losing his keys? If he had dropped his keys in the ice he'd be f***ing dead?
True. But he didn't. His keys got wet, but they worked. His phone didn't.

A car should not be a device accessible behind a smartphone. And practically, it can't be.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Most states consider it that, but that’s also the best way to fight a DUI.

There are technological ways to stop this issue from happening. You get into a number of issues and philosophical problems. We can stop speeding today, but a lot of people will bitch and moan about not being able to go 80 in a 75. Blowing into a tube for your car to drive will piss off another set. Unlikely for any of these types of things to pass, despite the valid arguments for them.
Of course you are absolutely right. But don't think for a second that doesn't reflect negatively on our personal values.

Again, I've always said you can't legislate morality or values...only behavior. That is why it is taking an extreme amount of taxes on tabaco to make any inroads and why alcohol still has a relatively low tax rate compared to the negative consequences it poses to society. Americans would rather stay drunk, stoned or completely distracted than be inconvenienced by proving they are currently capable of operating the vehicle they are attempting to.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Of course you are absolutely right. But don't think for a second that doesn't reflect negatively on our personal values.

Again, I've always said you can't legislate morality or values...only behavior. That is why it is taking an extreme amount of taxes on tabaco to make any inroads and why alcohol still has a relatively low tax rate compared to the negative consequences it poses to society. Americans would rather stay drunk, stoned or completely distracted than be inconvenienced by proving they are currently capable of operating the vehicle they are attempting to.
Don’t disagree at all.

And yeah… I like my beer, but we should tax the shit out of it. All sin stuff should be taxed heavily. Enjoy it, but pay for what the societal impact is. Also… the sooner we get to cars driving themselves, the better. Shit will still happen, but not at the same rate we have now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad