2024/2025 Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
DUI and trying to pass on the right side of the road resulting in 2 deaths. He's probably going to get max sentence.

That's for another debate but cars are just too big today. Cyclists and pedestrians just don't stand a chance.
The justice system in the US is one of those things that I don't think you can safely assume that.

Well, that's not nearly enough. I would like to see deaths as a result of drunk driving be treated as equivalent to murder. Zero issues throwing people like this man away for life. He killed two young men and ruined so many more lives.

Opened up laptop up at work this morning to this news and can't believe this actually happened...how does a family even pick up and get itself back together after this...? Can't imagine being the parents losing two sons...or the sister who just lost her two brothers the day before what was supposed to be one of the happiest in her life in what was apparently going to be a huge family celebration (Johnny and Matthew were going to be groomsmen and Johnny's wife was going to be a bridesmaid?)...and those poor little children who are going to grow up without a father. Really, I don't think you can recover from this as a family, not properly. So many victims. At least one generation devastated for the rest of their lives.
I agree... at a glance it seems way too low for the impact his choice will have.
Having cycled nine months around the world now, USA and especially Texas, Florida and everything between have been the places where I've been most terrified. Especially Louisiana and Florida. India, South-East Asia, Africa.. almost no issues at all. USA, some parts horrible.
My wife does triathlons, and I absolutely hate when she's bike training. I live in pretty rural areas that are not bike friendly and most people drive large SUVs and trucks. So much risk.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
The justice system in the US is one of those things that I don't think you can safely assume that.

I agree... at a glance it seems way too low for the impact his choice will have.

My wife does triathlons, and I absolutely hate when she's bike training. I live in pretty rural areas that are not bike friendly and most people drive large SUVs and trucks. So much risk.

Totally understand. Trucks don't just seem to care for whatever reason. I almost got hit by one in Baton Rouge as one truck decided to pass another. Maybe a foot between me and the truck and that's 'cause I managed to dodge to the grass next to the shoulder.

Reactions: henchman21

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Trucks don't just seem to care for whatever reason. .
Also if you're riding a bicycle they can barely see you when you're close.

It's ironic that people drive big trucks because they want a sense of safety but they put everyone else at much higher risk (other cars, bicycles, pedestrians).

75bw6Xr.png

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Totally understand. Trucks don't just seem to care for whatever reason. I almost got hit by one in Baton Rouge as one truck decided to pass another. Maybe a foot between me and the truck and that's 'cause I managed to dodge to the grass next to the shoulder.
It is a mentality thing, and it frankly sucks.

Also if you're riding a bicycle they can barely see you when you're close.

It's ironic that people drive big trucks because they want a sense of safety but they put everyone else at much higher risk (other cars, bicycles, pedestrians).

75bw6Xr.png

Trucks and bigger vehicles are not going away for a lot of reasons. As a person who owns a couple trucks, it is not at all difficult to pay attention to pedestrians and cyclists. Simple courtesy is not hard, just a lot of people seem to lack that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Incredibly awful and shocking news to wake up to this morning. All the best to the Gaudreau and extended family.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
It's not often I look at an HF thread title and can't actually take it in. What a horrible thing to happen.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I honestly started crying this morning thinking about the family. Today was supposed to be his Sisters most special day arguably for her entire life. His wife is left with two young children to raise on her own now. Parents having to bury two of their children at the same time now.

Just an absolutely devastating, crushing tragedy for them to experience. Hug your loved ones.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So much f***ing tragedy in the world both large and small scale right now.

There is no making sense of it, I just hope somehow Johnny's family is able to hold together and maybe somehow feel a little of the love being offered their way.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
CBJ will be 3M under the cap floor without Gaudreau.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
terrible news about Gaudreau

my favorite highlight from his career was this goal he sunk in a game that iirc the Flames had to win to make the playoffs

I remember watching it on TV and being so impressed how a rookie who weighs like 150 pounds had the stones to take that shot with the game on the line and sink it.

landpoke

May 21, 2020
This just sucks all around.

I cycle quite a bit and I've always got my head on a swivel, no headphones so I can hear things coming, obnoxious safety yellow jersey and never after dark. I have a friend who's been hit twice (and doesn't cycle on the road anymore) and a couple of people were killed cycling not too long ago in our fairly rural area. You just never know if someone's drunk or just doesn't see you. There's a phenomena called inattentional blindness where your senses are so overwhelmed by all the stimuli involved with driving that you simply don't see unexpected things. And frankly most drivers don't expect cyclists.

All that said, this doesn't sound like that at all. A drunk idiot trying to pass on the right is inexcusable.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
The layers upon layers to this tragedy are gut wrenching. Absolutely horrific news for the family and the hockey community at large, RIP Johnny Hockey.
As a father to to young ones myself, it just hits so hard when you think about him making a career move to be closer to family and him entering that parenthood phase of his life only for that to be ripped from him, and for him to be ripped away from his family. As you said, there's layers upon layers of tragedy, as it sounds like Matthew was in the same boat. Just such an easily avoidable tragedy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
As a father to to young ones myself, it just hits so hard when you think about him making a career move to be closer to family and him entering that parenthood phase of his life only for that to be ripped from him, and for him to be ripped away from his family. As you said, there's layers upon layers of tragedy, as it sounds like Matthew was in the same boat. Just such an easily avoidable tragedy.
Along with the family part, Matthew had recently (only a season or two IIRC) had become the coach at his old high school. Whether you love or hate your coaches, they have a huge impact on lives. So much was taken from this world by a series of senseless decisions by one person. The world was better with Johnny and Matthew in it.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Along with the family part, Matthew had recently (only a season or two IIRC) had become the coach at his old high school. Whether you love or hate your coaches, they have a huge impact on lives. So much was taken from this world by a series of senseless decisions by one person. The world was better with Johnny and Matthew in it.
As McMetal noted, there's so many layers to this tragedy. If this were a country song, or a Hollywood drama storyline I think people would say "you're laying it on a bit thick". It's one of the things that just makes it so hard to believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad