HF Habs: 2023 World U18 Men's Hockey Championship: Finals Sunday, April 30 | Canada wins Bronze, 4-3 (OT) | USA wins Gold, 3-2 (OT), Sweden Silver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
You gus would rather give up the 17th pick than Mailloux in a potential trade?

I'm excited about the 17th pick. But I'm really excited about Mailloux.

At any rate, I don't think we need to give up either.

Yeah, not Mailloux, but Mesar, Barron, Kidney definitely. I would keep Mailloux.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't know. He's a big, strong skating RD with a hell of a shooting arsenal. Impossible to get. He's pretty much No Trade for me. Too much upside.
even with his question marks, he has way too much going for him. The fact that he missed so much time just means he has even MORE room to improve. his shot's too insane.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
ALL OF THEM?!!
It's a big offer for a big player. We can't expect to get him for free. And those are all good pieces, but pieces we don't particularly need, given our depth chart at LD and what we're building at forward. Engstrom and Mesar are the best pieces, but both are very risky.

Harris is steady, but we have an abundance of LD ahead of him (Guhle, Hutson, Matheson, Xhekaj).

On the one hand I don't want to give up the 17th pick or Mailloux in the PLD trade. On the other hand would I trade Mesar, Kidney, Harris, and Engstrom for the 16th/17th pick in this year's draft? That's a tough one. It seems like too much to give up. But I'd give it up for the 16th pick if I could flip the 16th pick for another player like Dubois or Dach.

At any rate, I think Hughes will do a good job of converting surplus young players at a position of strength for either picks or players at positions of need.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So QFs are on Thursday:

U.S.A vs Czech Republic
Sweden vs Latvia
Finland vs Slovakia
Canada vs Switzerland

SF looks like it's going to be Canada vs U.S.A.

U.S.A will be ranked #1.
Sweden #2
Finland #3
Canada #4

Finland just scored a 7th goal against Norway, so that puts them ahead of Canada on goal differential.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
He usually misses the net.
Hahaha!!! He sure can rifle it.

So QFs are on Thursday:

U.S.A vs Czech Republic
Sweden vs Latvia
Finland vs Slovakia
Canada vs Switzerland

SF looks like it's going to be Canada vs U.S.A.

U.S.A will be ranked #1.
Sweden #2
Finland #3
Canada #4

Finland just scored a 7th goal against Norway, so that puts them ahead of Canada on goal differential.
The semi-final would be the perfect time to play USA. They had the easiest round robin of all time and should have their way with Czechia. The semi-final might be their first big test.

The only possible upset I could see there is Slovakia over Finland but I don't think Dvorsky has enough support.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It's a big offer for a big player. We can't expect to get him for free. And those are all good pieces, but pieces we don't particularly need, given our depth chart at LD and what we're building at forward. Engstrom and Mesar are the best pieces, but both are very risky.

Harris is steady, but we have an abundance of LD ahead of him (Guhle, Hutson, Matheson, Xhekaj).

On the one hand I don't want to give up the 17th pick or Mailloux in the PLD trade. On the other hand would I trade Mesar, Kidney, Harris, and Engstrom for the 16th/17th pick in this year's draft? That's a tough one. It seems like too much to give up. But I'd give it up for the 16th pick if I could flip the 16th pick for another player like Dubois or Dach.

At any rate, I think Hughes will do a good job of converting surplus young players at a position of strength for either picks or players at positions of need.

Winnipeg isn't going to want all prospects though. They're a "no rebuild" team. Hellebucyk has already publicly stated that if Winnipeg goes into rebuild, he's leaving. He's UFA 2024.

They also have a ton of LD themselves, and have some depth at wing. They need centers & RD.

I can see them having interest in Beck & Barron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad