2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

going by wheeler's recent ratings, the jackets had four guys in the top 50 and two honorable mentions, while lohrei missed the list entirely. that's not to say that lohrei isn't good (he is!) but it's interesting to me that they'd load up on another LHD prospect.

as it stands right now, he'd be something like their 7th-8th best prospect.

that said, it could mean future moves could follow (like one of svozil/mateychuk being in a chychrun trade). which, as much as i like those guys, would be hard to complain about. you don't usually see teams bring up 10-15 young players at once and be competitive – usually that gets complimented with trades for established veterans.

Reactions: majormajor

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

going by wheeler's recent ratings, the jackets had four guys in the top 50 and two honorable mentions, while lohrei missed the list entirely. that's not to say that lohrei isn't good (he is!) but it's interesting to me that they'd load up on another LHD prospect.

that said, it could mean future moves could follow (like one of svozil/mateychuk being in a chychrun trade). which, as much as i like those guys, would be hard to complain about. you don't usually see teams bring up 10-15 young players at once and be competitive – usually that gets complimented with trades for established veterans.

He’s a quality prospect and much more NHL ready than anyone they’d get with Bostons 1st

But for trades 1st is better

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
He’s a quality prospect and much more NHL ready than anyone they’d get with Bostons 1st
agreed, but i also very much doubt they'd actually use boston's pick in the draft – i think they'd trade it for immediate help no matter what.

as far as what they have now… i know he's older but i wouldn't say he's necessarily more nhl-ready than ceulemans, mateychuk or svozil. i think they all need one more year after this one before they're ready.

he's got extremely good tools but is still rough around the edges. since he is older, i think that he maybe has less margin for error in his development, too.

really like the player, just not sure what he adds to this system.
But for trades 1st is better
yup – as i was saying, i imagine they'd eventually flip the first. harder to do that with an already-drafted prospect because evaluations can largely differ.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Could the CBJ get Lohrei (and the 1st and the 3rd) by taking on Smith? Smith is a free agent after this season?

I don't like the idea of trading Peeke as much.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Not to take anything away from the guy but I think Columbus trying collect all the local and OSU players in the NHL seems a bit unhealthy.

If they can help the team, fine. If the biggest reason they are interested is because of local ties I have serious concerns on their priorities.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Not to take anything away from the guy but I think Columbus trying collect all the local and OSU players in the NHL seems a bit unhealthy.

If they can help the team, fine. If the biggest reason they are interested is because of local ties I have serious concerns on their priorities.
Its not really a bad thing. Their really isn't to many of them, plus they haven't really given up any assets yet to get one of type of players. If as someone said, if its getting Lohrei along with the picks to take Smith in a Gavi trade, I see no problem with it.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Part of me thinks they are overflowing the defensive prospect pool knowing that they will likely be moving one or two in the offseason for a NHL ready/vet.

Reactions: Viqsi and MissADD

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Part of me thinks they are overflowing the defensive prospect pool knowing that they will likely be moving one or two in the offseason for a NHL ready/vet.
mateychuk or svozil would be one heck of a centerpiece in a trade for a center, so i guess there's that.

Reactions: CBJx614

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Its not really a bad thing. Their really isn't to many of them, plus they haven't really given up any assets yet to get one of type of players. If as someone said, if its getting Lohrei along with the picks to take Smith in a Gavi trade, I see no problem with it.
And how many of them play in places other than Columbus.? It just seems like we seek them out and put too much importance on their Columbus connection. We drafted a Carson Meyer, traded for Jack Roslovic, overpaid for Sean Kuraly in free agency and gave Kole Sherwood a try.

Outside of him and Connor Murphy who is left?

Reactions: domi28

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
Yep, as long as it's just a bonus, not the main reason for obtaining an asset, I'm cool with it. And in Lohrei's case, it's not like he's not a legit candidate.

Maybe they're loading up on defensive prospects with the intention of moving one (or more) since the top end of this draft seems really forward-heavy? Perhaps there's a bit more demand for a good d-prospects right now? Or am I just over-thinking everything again?

Reactions: MissADD

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
And how many of them play in places other than Columbus.? It just seems like we seek them out and put too much importance on their Columbus connection. We drafted a Carson Meyer, traded for Jack Roslovic, overpaid for Sean Kuraly in free agency and gave Kole Sherwood a try.

Of all things to worry about with this roster

• Haha
Reactions: cbjthrowaway

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

Meyer was a 6th round pick. From my research only 8 guys from the 2017 draft that were drafted in the 6th or later have even played in the NHL, of which only 6 were even there for the Jackets to pick when they took Meyer (Sasah Chmelevski, Ben Jones, Morgan Barron, Wyatt Kalynuk, Cayden Primeau, and Samuel Walker) That pick was fine.

Roslovic was an add on in the PLD Laine trade. He is very frustrating at times, but has done good things here.

The Jacket overpaid by what? 1 million over the life of the contract for Kuraly? aHe has been good in his role, especially last season when the season wasn't off the rails completely.

Kole Sherwood was prob the worst move you listed and like you said, it was a chance. Many guys like Sherwood across the league get chances every season? This one just happened to be a local product.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Kole Sherwood was prob the worst move you listed and like you said, it was a chance. Many guys like Sherwood across the league get chances every season? This one just happened to be a local product.
the biggest problem with this front office is [checks notes] using an ahl-level player on a two-way contract as an occasional injury call-up on the fourth line!

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

I still don't get this. He's been consistent, wins faceoffs, 14g, 30 pts in 2022 (77games) and 10g, 16pts 2023 (55 games on a terrible team), is great in the locker and community and is paid $2.5M AAV. How is $2.5M AAV overpaying for him?

And this is not just directed at you but anyone that feels this way? Clearly, I do not and I'm willing to listen but I simply don't understand this sentiment. He hasn't stopped any rookie from taking his spot, nor has he prevented us from signing/trading for someone as a result of his salary. It was a 4 year deal at a time we had more than ample cap space and needed a veteran. I guess I'm just not meant to see the other side.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My initial thought was I hope that kid isn’t in the deal in place of a first.

But then I thought about it and I think he might be in the deal to incentivize us taking Craig smiths contract.

Gavrikov for Smith, Lohrei, 1st, 3rd

That seems unlikely. Smith's contract is expiring and would cost a 3rd or 4th round pick to move. Lohrei is worth a 1st or 2nd (my guess is a late 1st), I think it's either him or a 1st coming back.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
agreed, but i also very much doubt they'd actually use boston's pick in the draft – i think they'd trade it for immediate help no matter what.

as far as what they have now… i know he's older but i wouldn't say he's necessarily more nhl-ready than ceulemans, mateychuk or svozil. i think they all need one more year after this one before they're ready.

he's got extremely good tools but is still rough around the edges. since he is older, i think that he maybe has less margin for error in his development, too.

really like the player, just not sure what he adds to this system.

yup – as i was saying, i imagine they'd eventually flip the first. harder to do that with an already-drafted prospect because evaluations can largely differ.

It’s really going to depend on what Jarmos next 2-3 moves are (in his mind).

Should be entertaining 6 months

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
That seems unlikely. Smith's contract is expiring and would cost a 3rd or 4th round pick to move. Lohrei is worth a 1st or 2nd (my guess is a late 1st), I think it's either him or a 1st coming back.
If it was that easy they would have done it by now (assuming this Gavrikov deal is going down)

That price I said might be a bit too steep but I don’t think it would just be a third or fourth to get rid of that contract

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Lots of moving parts in this Gav deal. One thing that could also be a "transaction" that needs to happen is an extension. Would suck if this whole thing blows up because he won't agree to an extension.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
the biggest problem with this front office is [checks notes] using an ahl-level player on a two-way contract as an occasional injury call-up on the fourth line!
TBF I was just replying to the info in the post. I never said it was the biggest problem, just the biggest "problem" in the post. :m-tongue:

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Pagnotta says, the Sharks and Oilers are no longer in discussion on Karlsson because Edmonton can't afford his cap and SJ will only cover $2-3M. Well Duh!

Does anyone know what Edmonton was going to give up to make that deal? I have to think we'd easily be able to match any deal Edmonton could make and we could absorb his cap hit if SJ was willing to cover $2-3M. #PowerPlayFixed

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Of all things to worry about with this roster
Well if people get preference on where they are from over better talent, its a problem. We've cornered the market on local homegrown players. It smells of marketing.

How many players from Colorado are on the avalanche? How many from Pittsburgh are on the Penguins? We have 4 with Columbus ties counting Sillinger on the roster right now.

My point is I think management like having local players on the roster and seem willing to overlook if they are a good fit for the organization. Its not possibly a coincidence they are all here and we can certainly debate what exactly is a "Blue Jackets" player anymore. I'm not sure management knows.

Reactions: domi28 and thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I still don't get this. He's been consistent, wins faceoffs, 14g, 30 pts in 2022 (77games) and 10g, 16pts 2023 (55 games on a terrible team), is great in the locker and community and is paid $2.5M AAV. How is $2.5M AAV overpaying for him?

And this is not just directed at you but anyone that feels this way? Clearly, I do not and I'm willing to listen but I simply don't understand this sentiment. He hasn't stopped any rookie from taking his spot, nor has he prevented us from signing/trading for someone as a result of his salary. It was a 4 year deal at a time we had more than ample cap space and needed a veteran. I guess I'm just not meant to see the other side.
And everyone pretty much agreed his salary was a bit too high and at least a year too long when he was signed. I actually think he's a great fit for the team but that doesn't mean he wasn't given above market value for his role.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad