2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
We already lost the PLD trade (have a look at our record in the last three years). Just focus on making the right moves going forward.

I'd rather have Weegar than at least four or five of those guys. He's a good #2D that pushes play at both ends. That would be a huge upgrade for us.

Orlov would also be a big upgrade for us.
Lol weird way to look at the trade. Maybe we were better with Dubois because we also had Jones, Bjorkstrand, Foligno, Atkinson and better coaching?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Trading Boone Jenner means you’re resetting the roster and basically punting on the next 2-3 seasons.

Yeah, I’m not doing that.

They don’t need to do a full fire sale, which I’m surprised some are suggesting.

They are probably already going to end up with 7 1st round picks in 3 years span.
Post draft they should have the best/top3 prospect pool in the league.

The prospect pool doesn’t need more depth, they need that one missing high end player, an issue their own pick will hopefully address.

So instead of going full fire sale they have to start taking steps to improve and have a goal of being a contender within the next 2-3 years time

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think it’s interesting that the Flames already are looking to move him.

He's not a universal fit. The Flames are a team that prioritizes minimizing mistakes.

You can tell by the type of D that Jarmo and the scouts have been picking up that they want aggressive play pushers who jump up and make things messy.

Lol weird way to look at the trade. Maybe we were better with Dubois because we also had Jones, Bjorkstrand, Foligno, Atkinson and better coaching?

It's true you can't easily quantify it, I didn't mean to imply that you could. But my sense has been that the Jackets would have a lot more wins in the last two years with Dubois than with the fancy bois.

Reactions: ECBBW

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
You’re trying to be obtuse. You called him the #1 RHD on a presidents Trophy team. If we had truly that, there is 0 percent chance he’s not playing top pair and getting 22+ mins a night.
he was, at minimum, a top two defenseman on the team that won the president's trophy literally last season. my opinion is that he's better than ekblad, i.e. he was the #1 defenseman.
He’s not even their best D.
again, just my opinion here, but i like him slightly more than rasmus andersson. they're similarly capable players. andersson is more established on that team and younger.
this is in response to me saying weegar would've gotten less term but a higher AAV on the open market than CGY provided.

he signed an 8-year, $50m deal that kicks in when he's 29.

the last UFA defenseman to sign for more than five years was dougie hamilton (7 years x $9m) two summers ago. the summer before that had pietrangelo ($8.8m aav / 7 years) and krug ($6.5m aav / 7 years).

i don't think it's a stretch at all to say that weegar would've been somewhere between the krug and pietrangelo deals on the open market. my point was more that CGY being able to tack on an 8th year kept the AAV down.
I just think if the Dubois return ends up as a 29 year old Weeger, that is terrible.
technically in this hypothetical, it would be PLD + a third round pick for:
- eight years of mackenzie weegar at a $6.25m AAV
- two good laine seasons (21-22, 22-23)
- one and a half good roslovic seasons (20-21, second half of 21-22)
- one bad laine season (pandemic shortened 2020-21)
- one and a half bad roslovic seasons (first half of 21-22, all of 22-23)
- whatever they recoup in a roslovic trade

Lol you keep doubling down.

Makar, Josi, Karlsson, Hedman, Fox, McAvoy, Ekblad, Toews, Carlson, Heiskanen, Seider, Hughes, Dahlin, Slavin, Theodore, Chabot, Werenski, Doughty, Reilly, Pietrangelo, Burns, Trouba, Hanifin, Miller, Hamilton, Pesce, Letang, Lindholm, Chychrun, Moreissey, Dobson, Pullock, Jones, Power, Byram, Spurgeon, Pionk > Weeger
weegar is a medium-term top-pairing guy (i.e. 3-4 years) and a long-term second pair guy for probably another 2-3 years after that.

on the jackets, he'd be the #2 behind werenski. when jiricek blossoms, weegar could slide to the second pair. his defensive acumen, ability to play either side and experience playing with ekblad/forsling makes him a really good potential fit for boqvist (and, eventually, mateychuk/svozil).

regarding your list, though, i think he's currently better than a few of the youngsters on there (byram, miller, seider, dobson, power) even if those guys are more talented and could surpass him as they develop. other guys on that list (karlsson, doughty, burns, letang) may be better now (i don't think letang is) but will regress a lot faster.

…which still leaves a few guys who i'd say weegar is either better than (chabot, lindholm, pionk, hanifin) or roughly equal to (spurgeon, pesce, pullock, trouba).

Last edited:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I think it’s interesting that the Flames already are looking to move him.
tbf this rumor is heavily disputed anyway. it was more of a 'they might really shake things up'

they have like 10 guys with NTC/NMC protection. of the guys who don't have that, lindholm is too valuable to move (best player on their team on a sweetheart deal) and andersson is basically a younger weegar.

that leaves mangiapane, dube and weegar, who is the oldest of the three, likely the most valuable, and plays a position where they have a ton of depth.

in other words, it's not likely that they're looking to move on from the player, more that he's the one most able to facilitate a major shakeup.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
………..

Gaudreau, Johnson, Nyquist, Voracek, Boqvist….6th best “playmaker”, at the very most.
Bus, you picked two guys likely to never play here again and a DMan with a nice offensive game but certainly not as talented playmaker 5 on 5

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
We already lost the PLD trade (have a look at our record in the last three years). Just focus on making the right moves going forward.
Bad argument for losing the trade imo.

The record would have been just about the same with or without that trade, because this team was doomed for rebuild the second Panarin didnt re-sign. Low scoring Torts hockey kept it going for a season, but the tank threads were inevitable.

Jones, Foligno, Atkinson, Bjorky, Savard and Nyquist all aged and/or left. The strong middle 6 CBJ had, has been replaced by a million rookies. The huge Jones sized hole in the defense has been filled with kids and AHLers. Savard was replaced by kids and AHLers and more recently a $4m Gudbransson.

PLD would have gone down with the sinking ship just like Laine has.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
not comical, rather tiring/exhausting.

just get it over with. be traded. wish it was that easy.

Did you see the NBA trade deadline this year?

at this point, this Chychrun/Gavrikov standstill is getting comical

Rumor is a Gavrikov deal is in place, but is waiting on another transaction to occur. My best guess here is the acquiring team needs to even out contract #s or clear cap space in another move. Then again, if Jarmo retains 50%, Gavirkov's remaining cap hit will be miniscule, so I'm not sure it's the cap space thing.

Reactions: VT

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'd rather have Weegar than at least four or five of those guys. He's a good #2D that pushes play at both ends. That would be a huge upgrade for us.

Orlov would also be a big upgrade for us.

Depends on how "close" the front office thinks this team is.

In '24-'25, reasonably the D could look something like...
Werenski-Jiricek
???? - ????
Svozil - Gudbranson (LOL)

Wherein the 2nd pair is made up of some combination of Mateychuk, Ceulemans, Boqvist, Peeke, Berni, Bean, or Blankenburg. There's kind of a logjam of these 5-7 types and at some point, a few will get moved along if they don't show they deserve 2nd pair minutes/responsibilities.

Trading for Weegar or signing Orlov only adds to the logjam, especially if the FO thinks Jircek & Mateychuk are future top 4 guys.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Rumor is a Gavrikov deal is in place, but is waiting on another transaction to occur. My best guess here is the acquiring team needs to even out contract #s or clear cap space in another move. Then again, if Jarmo retains 50%, Gavirkov's remaining cap hit will be miniscule, so I'm not sure it's the cap space thing.
If it is in fact Boston, I have wondered if Nyquist might not be involved as well. That might be where the CAP crunch could come from but I'm not sure the rules for trading a guy on IR (he doesn't appear to be on LTIR at this time). CBJ could retain 50% on Gus but maybe Boston still needs to clear a little CAP space to fit him in should he actually come off IR before the playoffs? Just a thought.

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Depends on how "close" the front office thinks this team is.

In '24-'25, reasonably the D could look something like...
Werenski-Jiricek
???? - ????
Svozil - Gudbranson (LOL)

Wherein the 2nd pair is made up of some combination of Mateychuk, Ceulemans, Boqvist, Peeke, Berni, Bean, or Blankenburg. There's kind of a logjam of these 5-7 types and at some point, a few will get moved along if they don't show they deserve 2nd pair minutes/responsibilities.

Trading for Weegar or signing Orlov only adds to the logjam, especially if the FO thinks Jircek & Mateychuk are future top 4 guys.

To me that's a logjam of under 23D. I don't want more than two ELC D in the lineup at a time. Having two veteran top 4D (Werenski+new guy) is not a lot.

Reactions: CBJx614

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
In a perfect fantasy world, imagine Larkin doesn’t want to re-sign in Detroit, wants to get reunited with Werenski, we are able to trade Laine, Peeke+ for him and then extend him.

We also get lucky and draft Bedard or Fantilli.

We also trade for Chychrun or sign Orlov in UFA

Next season we get

Marchenko - Larkin - Gaudreau
Chinakhov - Bedard / Fantilli - Johnson
Danforth - Jenner - Voronkov
Kuraly
Dumais, Texier, Roslovic, Robinson, Olivier, Foudy, Peterson, Bemstrom

Jiricek - Werenski
Boqvist - Chychrun / Orlov
Gudbranson - Bean

Elvis
Tarasov

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
In a perfect fantasy world, imagine Larkin doesn’t want to re-sign in Detroit, wants to get reunited with Werenski, we are able to trade Laine, Peeke+ for him and then extend him.

We also get lucky and draft Bedard or Fantilli.

We also trade for Chychrun or sign Orlov in UFA

Next season we get

Marchenko - Larkin - Gaudreau
Chinakhov - Bedard / Fantilli - Johnson
Danforth - Jenner - Voronkov
Kuraly
Dumais, Texier, Roslovic, Robinson, Olivier, Foudy, Peterson, Bemstrom

Jiricek - Werenski
Boqvist - Chychrun / Orlov
Gudbranson - Bean

Elvis
Tarasov
Laine, Perle + for Larkin.... are you seriously? Dylan's not worth that much. Besides Kent can be an excellent center if he get strength, he has showed it. This draft is full of excellent centers not only Fantilli or Carlsson (I don't count Bedard). And what is important, they can carry the puck, pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
if larkin is willing to test the free agent market and interested in coming here, why would columbus trade its second best forward and a young RHD with size and a team-friendly deal for his rights?

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
if larkin is willing to test the free agent market and interested in coming here, why would columbus trade its second best forward and a young RHD with size and a team-friendly deal for his rights?
The only way we get Larkin is if we get him in UFA.

If he does test UFA, I'm sending Z, Blankenberg, KJ and Fantilli to his house on a PJ and doing everything I can to convince him to come here(as long as his asking price is within reason)

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Obviously to sign him under our terms, to avoid bidding war and create cap space for him

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Obviously to sign him under our terms, to avoid bidding war and create cap space for him

…why would dylan larkin want to avoid a bidding war for his own services?

also they'll 100% have enough cap room in the summer – even if they were going up against the cap (which they can exceed in the offseason anyway) laine and peeke aren't exactly 'give away for free' kinds of pieces.

that doesn't mean they can't trade those guys in other moves, it just makes no sense to give those guys up for larkin's UFA rights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad