2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm not necessarily in favor of it, but it would be very interesting to see the level of interest in Jenner near the trading deadline..

I look at Foligno and Savard on expiring contracts and see what they brought and I'd have to think that Jenner would bring a King's Ransom in comparison given his age, productivity, intangibles and contract (term and AAV).

If this year's draft is as deep as many are saying, maybe Jarmo could be convinced to part with The Captain. Long term it might be the right move depending on the offer. This team is a long way from Stanley Cup contention and Jenner would probably be on the other side of his most productive years if that time would ever come.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
laine has plenty of trade value and his contract isn't even bad for his production. he's neither untouchable nor untradeable. i think they'd move him straight up for a weegar type defenseman with term. otherwise he's probably more valuable to the jackets as a roster piece than in a trade.
“Laine has plenty of trade value” then talks about how they’d trade him for a second pair D.

I'm not necessarily in favor of it, but it would be very interesting to see the level of interest in Jenner near the trading deadline..

I look at Foligno and Savard on expiring contracts and see what they brought and I'd have to think that Jenner would bring a King's Ransom in comparison given his age, productivity, intangibles and contract (term and AAV).

If this year's draft is as deep as many are saying, maybe Jarmo could be convinced to part with The Captain. Long term it might be the right move depending on the offer. This team is a long way from Stanley Cup contention and Jenner would probably be on the other side of his most productive years if that time would ever come.
If they trade Jenner I want a deal that looks like what Hagel got.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Bol by som po oboch chlapoch. Možno niečo len okolo Bertuzziho/Laineho.

Problém je v tom, čo by CBJ musel pridať pre oboch chlapcov. Všetko je to za predpokladu, že Larkin znovu podpíše alebo príde s predĺžením, čo je podľa mňa niečo, o čom sme ako skupina prestali hovoriť, pokiaľ ide o spojenie Werenski-Larkin.

Ak je záujem, stačí počkať, kým ho podpíšete ako voľného hráča. Myslím si, že pokiaľ ide o všetky „fantasy“ nápady, ktoré ľudia majú, Larkin môže byť trendom ako najrealistickejší a zdá sa, že o ňom už veľa nehovoríme.

No ak je zjavne taký dobrý a tak posilňuje CBJ, prečo by sme na oplátku nemohli dostať hráča podobnej kvality/kalibra??

We need a DIFFERENT player than Laine. We don’t need a guy with similar offensive qualities, we need a guy who brings everything Laine (and many other CBJ players) DOES NOT bring.
Laine is a winger and we need a center. Nobody trades winger for a real good center if his name isn't Kucherov. About the best years. You forgot Bobrovsky, the Werenski-Jones pairing, Savard in top shape, quality, experience centers, and the fact that Tortorella was the coach. In addition, the rebuilding of the team has not begun.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

“Laine has plenty of trade value” then talks about how they’d trade him for a second pair D.

Two late 1sts isn't as valuable to this team as Jenner is. The club has a surfeit of young assets, but by itself that's not going to get you out of a rebuild until nearly 2030. We need to prioritize winning next year and the year after for the sake of the development of young players already in the org.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Laine is a winger and we need a center. Nobody trades winger for a real good center if his name isn't Kucherov. About the best years. You forgot Bobrovsky, the Werenski-Jones pairing, Savard in top shape, quality, experience centers, and the fact that Tortorella was the coach. In addition, the rebuilding of the team has not begun.
Recall that the poster you're replying to never had a high opinion of Bobrovsky either.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Two late 1sts isn't as valuable to this team as Jenner is. The club has a surfeit of young assets, but by itself that's not going to get you out of a rebuild until nearly 2030. We need to prioritize winning next year and the year after for the sake of the development of young players already in the org.
Yes.

I don’t want to trade Jenner. If he was traded we need multiple 1sts coming back was my point.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Recall that the poster you're replying to never had a high opinion of Bobrovsky either.
He should have, he shouldn't have, in a regural season Bobrovsky played excellently. And most importantly, unlike Korpi, he was healthy. Of course, Torts' system and quality defensemen helped. The lines was exactly to his liking.

Trading Boone Jenner means you’re resetting the roster and basically punting on the next 2-3 seasons.

Yeah, I’m not doing that.
Boone won't be traded anyway. Fortunately. :thumbu:

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

I get what you're saying - even if we win the lottery, I don't think adding Bedard makes us a championship team next year. I would argue getting Zach W and Bedard likely makes us a fringe playoff team - but certainly would agree not Championship level. Until the team learns to play defense it's going to be bad. That (defense) may be slightly better now (compared to last season and first part of this year) but it's still bottom 25% in the leage IMO.

So im my mind I'm not trading Jenner unless it is a crazy deal - multiple 1st or good prospects (more than 2). Then to be brutally honest I don't think anyone else would value Jenner like that. I'm guessing on most good NHL teams he's maybe a 3rd line C or 2nd line winger?

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
To be clear, Bobrovsky >> Merzlikins….but I’m really not sure what any of this or these guys have to do with Laine and the current (offense heavy) build of the CBJ.

It’s not as if it has to be a 1 for 1 trade. Many different players/assets could be moved around to make a deal work, if there were willing partners. What is realistically available or possible across the league I don’t know. I would think the idea that there isn’t much interest in Laine or teams wouldn’t trade for him, for whatever reasons, would be held against him a bit more, but, what do I know.

Rick Nash got Dubinsky and Anisimov. Some people here think Laine is better or more valuable than Nash. Some of us others would take 1 of those guys for Laine and use an extra $3-4 million on a decent defenseman.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
………..

Gaudreau, Johnson, Nyquist, Voracek, Boqvist….6th best “playmaker”, at the very most.

gaudreau, yes, he's a better passer than laine.
johnson, no, not yet.
nyquist, no (not even close!) – and he's not playing anyway
voracek, when he's playing, yes… but he's not
boqvist, no, also not a forward

i stand by it. laine's passing – especially in the o-zone – is second to gaudreau on this team.

Yeah, and those years just happened to be easily the most successful in franchise history….
also, gotta circle back to this comment about the jackets apparently not having a sniper during the 'most successful' years in franchise history.

ever heard of cam atkinson? volume shooting winger, had 35 goals in the 108 point 16-17 season and 41 goals in the 18-19 season. brandon saad was a sniper. pre-breakout oliver bjorkstrand was still a sniper. artemi panarin was more of a playmaker but also absolutely qualifies.

the difference between this year's team and those teams isn't simply "this one has patrik laine" – it's that those teams had things that this one doesn't, such as…
1. elite goaltending
2. elite defense
3. tons of center depth (pld, duchene, wennberg, dubinsky, jenner, nash)
4. quality veterans all over the place
5. an established NHL coach

you mean a RHD with a long-term contract at a reasonable AAV who last year was the number one defenseman on the presidents trophy winning team playing on the left side?

the one who has been top 15 in norris voting each of the last two years? who also has elite underlying numbers for the last three-plus years?

he's playing on the second pair but he's not a 'second pair D' in any sense of the term beyond that.
i wouldn't mind that at all. if it was me, i'd flip those picks to get more established top six help. might be a bit of shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic to swap out jenner for assets that then get flipped for jenner's own replacement but alas, this team may need some new blood.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I am not going to say Boone and Laine are untouchable, because they aren't, but they are as close to untouchable as they can get,

Only untouchables IMO are: JG, Z, Johnson, Marchenko, Jiricek, maybe Mateychuk and Tarasov.

The rest are fair game, but core guys like Laine, Boone and Bovquist will either be hockey trades or vast overpayments by whoever Jarmo trades with.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
you mean a RHD with a long-term contract at a reasonable AAV who last year was the number one defenseman on the presidents trophy winning team playing on the left side?
Does Aaron Ekblad not exist to you?
the one who has been top 15 in norris voting each of the last two years? who also has elite underlying numbers for the last three-plus years?
Good numbers on a good team? Who could imagine that. Weeger has not been a top 15D this year or ever, and is about the same player he was in Florida.
Guys better than him:
Makar, Josi, Karlsson, Hedman, Fox, McAvoy, Ekblad, Toews, Carlson, Heiskanen, Seider, Hughes, Dahlin, Slavin, Theodore, Chabot, Werenski, Doughty, Reilly, Pietrangelo, Burns, Trouba, Hanifin, Miller, Hamilton, Pesce, Letang, Lindholm, Chychrun, Moreissey, Dobson, Pullock, Jones, Power, Byram, Spurgeon

Last year he got 1 4th and 1 5th Place vote - do you really think an argument can be made from that?
he's playing on the second pair but he's not a 'second pair D' in any sense of the term beyond that.
If he was their best defenseman he would be top pair.

He’s a good number 3/4. Top pairing UFA defenseman make much much more than 6.25. Why would he have signed that?

I’d take him in Columbus though.

Last edited:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Does Aaron Ekblad not exist to you?
aaron ekblad absolutely does exist to me. he's also been injured all the time (55 games missed since 2020-21 – not even three full seasons!), and has looked very bad without weegar this year.
Good numbers on a good team? Who could imagine that.
this is a point i bring up a lot and i suppose turnabout is fair play, but his elite underlying numbers have continued this year on calgary (albeit they're a bit more defensively-oriented now).

ekblad and forsling were usually significantly better with him than without him, fwiw.
Weeger has not been a top 15D this year or ever, and is about the same player he was in Florida. Last year he got 1 4th and 1 5th Place vote - do you really think an argument can be made from that?
two years ago, he got 3 second place votes, 4 third place votes, 6 fourth place votes and 15 fifth place votes. he finished eighth in norris voting.

last year most of those votes went to ekblad. this year ekblad's struggled. as someone who watched a LOT of panthers hockey over the last few years, i hold weegar in much higher regard than ekblad.

If he was their best defenseman he would be top pair.
by that logic, zach bogosian > mikhail sergachev, matt grzlecyk > hampus lindholm, ryan lindgren > k'andre miller, etc.

regardless, the distinction of a 'top pair' on the flames is kinda nebulous. they deploy the hanifin-andersson pair and the weegar-tanev pair pretty much identically at even strength.

weegar's 5v5 TOI/game is second to andersson (by a meager 7 seconds) – the only reason why he's third on the team in ATOI overall is because he doesn't get PP time and he's behind zadorov on their PK.

He’s a good number 3/4. Top pairing UFA defenseman make much much more than 6.25. Why would he have signed that?
because they offered him an 8-year deal that kicks in when he's 29. he would've gotten a higher AAV on the open market, but likely would've topped out at 5-6 years.

personally i'd prefer to keep laine, but there's a path here to having a long-term top four of werenski-weegar and chychrun-jiricek. something to consider!

How about instead of trading the guys we currently have who are working / producing, we instead keep them and fill the roster holes at defense and center through the draft. That sounds like a much better idea.
additionally/alternatively, taking the stockpile of assets and accelerating the rebuild by trading pieces that will theoretically be valuable one day (peeke, boqvist, chinakhov, draft picks, etc) for pieces that can accelerate the rebuild (chychrun) or are undervalued due to the cap (kevin hayes, brayden schenn, etc)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
To be clear, Bobrovsky >> Merzlikins….but I’m really not sure what any of this or these guys have to do with Laine and the current (offense heavy) build of the CBJ.

It’s not as if it has to be a 1 for 1 trade. Many different players/assets could be moved around to make a deal work, if there were willing partners. What is realistically available or possible across the league I don’t know. I would think the idea that there isn’t much interest in Laine or teams wouldn’t trade for him, for whatever reasons, would be held against him a bit more, but, what do I know.

Rick Nash got Dubinsky and Anisimov. Some people here think Laine is better or more valuable than Nash. Some of us others would take 1 of those guys for Laine and use an extra $3-4 million on a decent defenseman.
I don't think a lot of folks understand just how much of an incredible coup that Nash trade return was. It's not something that you can just Go Out And Do.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd definitely be interested in Weegar if we can get him. And I would move Laine for him.

Reactions: LJ7

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
TIL the Panthers traded a 1D + 1LW + 1st for a 1LW :laugh: :sarcasm:
…yes, exactly. this was literally the consensus when the move was made?

florida got a 25-year-old elite forward with term for two soon-to-be UFA 29-year-old top line players + a first round pick. the surplus value + stability from having a 25-year-old tkachuk on that contract is significantly more valuable than what you get from paying weegar and huberdeau near market value contracts into their late 30s.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
aaron ekblad absolutely does exist to me. he's also been injured all the time (55 games missed since 2020-21 – not even three full seasons!), and has looked very bad without weegar this year.
The whole team is bad. No one is arguing that Forsling is better than Weeger.
this is a point i bring up a lot and i suppose turnabout is fair play, but his elite underlying numbers have continued this year on calgary (albeit they're a bit more defensively-oriented now).

ekblad and forsling were usually significantly better with him than without him, fwiw.
Yeah that makes sense. He’s not bad.
two years ago, he got 3 second place votes, 4 third place votes, 6 fourth place votes and 15 fifth place votes. he finished eighth in norris voting.
Yep one below Nurse who also is not a 1D.
by that logic, zach bogosian > mikhail sergachev, matt grzlecyk > hampus lindholm, ryan lindgren > k'andre miller, etc.
You’re trying to be obtuse. You called him the #1 RHD on a presidents Trophy team. If we had truly that, there is 0 percent chance he’s not playing top pair and getting 22+ mins a night.
regardless, the distinction of a 'top pair' on the flames is kinda nebulous. they deploy the hanifin-andersson pair and the weegar-tanev pair pretty much identically at even strength.

weegar's 5v5 TOI/game is second to andersson (by a meager 7 seconds) – the only reason why he's third on the team in ATOI overall is because he doesn't get PP time and he's behind zadorov on their PK.
He’s not even their best D.
because they offered him an 8-year deal that kicks in when he's 29. he would've gotten a higher AAV on the open market, but likely would've topped out at 5-6 years.
Source.
personally i'd prefer to keep laine, but there's a path here to having a long-term top four of werenski-weegar and chychrun-jiricek. something to consider!
I just think if the Dubois return ends up as a 29 year old Weeger, that is terrible.

…yes, exactly. this was literally the consensus when the move was made?

florida got a 25-year-old elite forward with term for two soon-to-be UFA 29-year-old top line players + a first round pick. the surplus value + stability from having a 25-year-old tkachuk on that contract is significantly more valuable than what you get from paying weegar and huberdeau near market value contracts into their late 30s.
Lol you keep doubling down.

Makar, Josi, Karlsson, Hedman, Fox, McAvoy, Ekblad, Toews, Carlson, Heiskanen, Seider, Hughes, Dahlin, Slavin, Theodore, Chabot, Werenski, Doughty, Reilly, Pietrangelo, Burns, Trouba, Hanifin, Miller, Hamilton, Pesce, Letang, Lindholm, Chychrun, Moreissey, Dobson, Pullock, Jones, Power, Byram, Spurgeon, Pionk > Weeger

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't think a lot of folks understand just how much of an incredible coup that Nash trade return was. It's not something that you can just Go Out And Do.
If Nash, like Laine, had years left on his contract and hadn't requested to be moved, the trade would never happen anyways.

Reactions: MissADD and Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just think if the Dubois return ends up as a 29 year old Weeger, that is terrible.

We already lost the PLD trade (have a look at our record in the last three years). Just focus on making the right moves going forward.

Lol you keep doubling down.

Makar, Josi, Karlsson, Hedman, Fox, McAvoy, Ekblad, Toews, Carlson, Heiskanen, Seider, Hughes, Dahlin, Slavin, Theodore, Chabot, Werenski, Doughty, Reilly, Pietrangelo, Burns, Trouba, Hanifin, Miller, Hamilton, Pesce, Letang, Lindholm, Chychrun, Moreissey, Dobson, Pullock, Jones, Power, Byram, Spurgeon, Pionk > Weeger

I'd rather have Weegar than at least four or five of those guys. He's a good #2D that pushes play at both ends. That would be a huge upgrade for us.

Orlov would also be a big upgrade for us.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
We already lost the PLD trade (have a look at our record in the last three years). Just focus on making the right moves going forward.

I'd rather have Weegar than at least four or five of those guys. He's a good #2D that pushes play at both ends. That would be a huge upgrade for us.

Orlov would also be a big upgrade for us.
I think it’s interesting that the Flames already are looking to move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad