2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And everyone pretty much agreed his salary was a bit too high and at least a year too long when he was signed. I actually think he's a great fit for the team but that doesn't mean he wasn't given above market value for his role.

I think it was above market for his performance up until that point. But as a Jacket, he's a 4th liner in name only. Kuraly plays a big role more than commensurate with his salary.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Pagnotta says, the Sharks and Oilers are no longer in discussion on Karlsson because Edmonton can't afford his cap and SJ will only cover $2-3M. Well Duh!

Does anyone know what Edmonton was going to give up to make that deal? I have to think we'd easily be able to match any deal Edmonton could make and we could absorb his cap hit if SJ was willing to cover $2-3M. #PowerPlayFixed

Supposedly the ask was 3 1sts and Edmonton was willing to pay it. One widely spread report was Bouchard + Bourgault + 1st, along with the cap dumps. And supposedly the deal only broke down because 2-3m in retention wasn't enough for Edmonton, they want more like $5m. I think Karlsson has been so good that if you can get $3m in retention you pay that cost. Certainly for Edmonton.

The equivalent offer from the Jackets would be like Boqvist + Ceulemans + late 1st. I would pay that. It's tricky because Karlsson's age and term better match a contending team like Edmonton (and he has control and would likely steer himself to a contender), but if by chance you can get him to Columbus that's a good deal for us and probably gets us back to the playoffs much more quickly. Karlsson fixes more than just the PP. The whole 5v5 of attack of the team would improve.

Reactions: LJ7

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Supposedly the ask was 3 1sts and Edmonton was willing to pay it. One widely spread report was Bouchard + Bourgault + 1st, along with the cap dumps. And supposedly the deal only broke down because 2-3m in retention wasn't enough for Edmonton, they want more like $5m. I think Karlsson has been so good that if you can get $3m in retention you pay that cost. Certainly for Edmonton.

The equivalent offer from the Jackets would be like Boqvist + Ceulemans + late 1st. I would pay that. It's tricky because Karlsson's age and term better match a contending team like Edmonton (and he has control and would likely steer himself to a contender), but if by chance you can get him to Columbus that's a good deal for us and probably gets us back to the playoffs much more quickly. Karlsson fixes more than just the PP. The whole 5v5 of attack of the team would improve.
Columbus wouldn't really have a late 1st so potentially a 2nd( because it'll be an early 2nd) and something else? Jarmo was after Karlsson before San Jose got him. The rumor was Panarin for Karlsson but no idea if that was actually true.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Columbus wouldn't really have a late 1st so potentially a 2nd( because it'll be an early 2nd) and something else? Jarmo was after Karlsson before San Jose got him. The rumor was Panarin for Karlsson but no idea if that was actually true.

Our 2nd + a 4th would be worth just as much. I'm also inclined to believe that we'll get a 1st for Gavi just because Jarmo is agreeing to the deal so early. It's that or Lohrei.

Right now I imagine Karlsson just wants to go to a contender. Columbus is awful. But we have a chance to draft well and make a flurry of moves this summer and make a terrific pitch at that point. So whoever is still available then, be it Karlsson or Chychrun or both, we'd have a much better chance of persuading them to come on board.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Well if people get preference on where they are from over better talent, its a problem. We've cornered the market on local homegrown players. It smells of marketing.

How many players from Colorado are on the avalanche? How many from Pittsburgh are on the Penguins? We have 4 with Columbus ties counting Sillinger on the roster right now.

My point is I think management like having local players on the roster and seem willing to overlook if they are a good fit for the organization. Its not possibly a coincidence they are all here and we can certainly debate what exactly is a "Blue Jackets" player anymore. I'm not sure management knows.
I agree with your point, but the strategy is working out very well for the Bruins with Boston/ New England guys.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

imagine how much justin danforth could've fetched at the deadline this year had he stayed healthy (energy guy, highly versatile, one more year at $975k, etc)

Take heart - there's always next year. Just look at Korpisalo. :)

Speaking of, I think it was Marek who said we wanted a 2nd + a 4th from Edmonton last year for Korpisalo. He's playing a lot better this year, and even them I'm expecting a 2nd to be the ceiling. A 3rd + a 6th seems a bit more reasonable, imo.

EDIT - since December 8th, Korpi has put up a .922 save % in 15 appearances, which is good for 8th in the league over that time (min 500 minutes) - better than Sorokin, Hellebuyck, Saros. He's also 9th or 10th in terms of "goals saved above expected/average" in that time as well.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Pastrnak, Bergeron, Krejci are all from Vermont...where did Ulmark come from...Maine? :sarcasm:
hampus lindholm was a youth hockey legend in southie :sarcasm:
I don’t get your jokes

Coyle, Gryzlcyk, Wagner, McLaughlin are all greater Boston area guys, Swayman Maine,
McAvoy BU, Greer BU and they are the front runners for college UFA Henry Thrun (also a Boston kid playing at Harvard).

Reactions: thebus88

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I don’t get your jokes

Coyle, Gryzlcyk, Wagner, McLaughlin are all greater Boston area guys, Swayman Maine,
McAvoy BU, Greer BU and they are the front runners for college UFA Henry Thrun (also a Boston kid playing at Harvard).
oh yeah the bruins have a ton of boston area guys. i just thought the visual of hampus lindholm chain smoking at a dunkin donuts was funny

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
oh yeah the bruins have a ton of boston area guys. i just thought the visual of hampus lindholm chain smoking at a dunkin donuts was funny
Follow up with Southie mouthwash (Jager and Rumple mixture 🤢)

imagine how much justin danforth could've fetched at the deadline this year had he stayed healthy (energy guy, highly versatile, one more year at $975k, etc)
A 4th?

TRADE GAVRIKOV ALREADY

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
At this point it almost feels like the opportunity to move Gavrikov for a higher value is passing by. I realize that's just likely paranoia but if a deal was truly in place and needed "a transaction" what would take so long to get that done? Something just doesn't feel right with Boston. I'm thinking he's not going to Boston now. Call it a hunch.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
At this point it almost feels like the opportunity to move Gavrikov for a higher value is passing by. I realize that's just likely paranoia but if a deal was truly in place and needed "a transaction" what would take so long to get that done? Something just doesn't feel right with Boston. I'm thinking he's not going to Boston now. Call it a hunch.
As long as the first rd pick is going back, he can go any direction as far as I can tell

TRADE GAVRIKOV ALREADY
If he goes to Boston, that’s going to be kinda funny - his first ever NHL game was against Boston in play offs

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Interestingly, I was at the OSU vs Penn State game a few weeks ago and Mason Lohrei was quite noticeable in a good way. It was apparent he was the most talented player on either team aside from maybe Travis Treloar. I actually looked to see if he had been drafted.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Ship Laine and add more to get Meier from San Jose.
Gavrikov for BOS returns 1st and 3rd
Korpi somewhere for 2-4rounder

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm starting to think there is no deal in place with Boston. If there was another transaction holding up the deal, I would think that would be done sooner than later. This long hold doesn't seem like a deal is on the table. That said, I would truly love it if we got Edmonton's 1st, 3rd and Puljujarvi for Gavrikov (Add Bemstrom if something more needed to justify both picks - hell, retain whatever you want on Gavy if it helps). I'd much rather a pick in the early 20's if we could get it. I think you could nab another true high end talent with more likelihood of hitting than at 31 or 32 (Boston).

Reactions: Cowumbus

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Cant believe he is even thinking about pulling off this kind of thing without an extension, after this kind of season.

If it did happen, I have a feeling Boqvist would be going to ARZ. BOS 1st + Boqvist, and then what? Chinakhov? Would that count as three 1sts ARZ asked for?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad