2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
The Sharks still can’t figure out Vancouver, but the big result of the evening is Arizona beating Colorado 6-3 to get to 29 points, 7 ahead of the Ducks. I actually enjoy watching the Coyotes, they have an identity of being pretty physical and they largely compete on a nightly basis.

Also Ottawa beat Boston 3-2 in a shootout to restore a double digit point advantage (11).

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Still, most of the season is yet to be played.
For the current situation, there is kind of 2 shit-tiers. The shit tier and the shitty shit tier, where we are with Chicago and Columbus.

A few teams above are in a bad-tier but some with a potential to fall into shit :laugh:

1672229006760.png

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
For the current situation, there is kind of 2 shit-tiers. The shit tier and the shitty shit tier, where we are with Chicago and Columbus.

A few teams above are in a bad-tier but some with a potential to fall into shit :laugh:

View attachment 627351

And two of those teams in tier 2 are coming in on the homestand. Philadelphia Monday and the final of the four matchups with San Jose next Friday. Could swing the standings a bit

Reactions: Kalv

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They play Columbus and Chicago two more times this season. Those games will be The Bedard Cup. lol.

Here are the dates…

Jan 19 @ Columbus
March 17 vs Columbus

Feb 7 @ Chicago
Feb 27th vs Chicago

I hate tanking but it’s inevitable this season, might as well shoot for a Top 3 pick in this draft.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
The problem with tanking is that you are not guaranteed anything thanks to the draft lottery. If the Ducks finish 2nd from last they have a 40% chance of picking fourth. If they finish third from last they have almost a 70% chance of picking 4th or 5th. Given the Ducks "luck" in the draft lottery we can expect them to fall at least one spot in the first round, meaning that they better finish no better than second from last to get one of the top picks.

The NHL instituted the draft lottery to discourage tanking, but I do not believe that has been effective. If the goal is to try to improve the worst teams by giving them the best choices, then get rid of the lottery and let the worst teams get the best choices. Alas, that is not going to happen, since having the lottery is another opportunity to "build excitement" with the league. If the product were better on the ice then the league wouldn't have to resort to the gimmick of a lottery to build excitement.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

View attachment 627351

Oouf, man I wish you didn’t post that image lol. :baghead:

What’s even worse is how most of the off-season, a ton of people were assuming Arizona would be in a position that we are in. That’s quite a ‘sizeable’ lead they have.

I hate being on a ‘tank’ side of the argument, but I guess it would be worth it if we somehow grabbed Bedard.

Reactions: HunterDuck and Kalv

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Positive note? Chicago and Columbus play each other Saturday. Someone has to win. 🥂 it goes to OT.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The problem with tanking is that you are not guaranteed anything thanks to the draft lottery. If the Ducks finish 2nd from last they have a 40% chance of picking fourth. If they finish third from last they have almost a 70% chance of picking 4th or 5th. Given the Ducks "luck" in the draft lottery we can expect them to fall at least one spot in the first round, meaning that they better finish no better than second from last to get one of the top picks.

The NHL instituted the draft lottery to discourage tanking, but I do not believe that has been effective. If the goal is to try to improve the worst teams by giving them the best choices, then get rid of the lottery and let the worst teams get the best choices. Alas, that is not going to happen, since having the lottery is another opportunity to "build excitement" with the league. If the product were better on the ice then the league wouldn't have to resort to the gimmick of a lottery to build excitement.
Except Chicago is below us and winning the draft, so we'll only drop 1 spot 😂... 😭

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Ducks ain't drafting 1st overall as long as the lottery exists so I hope Ducks are able to get double digit regulation wins and finish without the worst record.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Columbus remains extremely injured and Chicago remains extremely useless. But Arizona won again.

Looking at permutation, ideal outcome in the Flyers-Sharks game is probably an OT/SO winner for San Jose to put both teams at 30 points.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Columbus remains extremely injured and Chicago remains extremely useless. But Arizona won again.

Looking at permutation, ideal outcome in the Flyers-Sharks game is probably an OT/SO winner for San Jose to put both teams at 30 points.
can't see this team finishing with a worse record than chicago. they are absolutely dreadful and it'll get even worse when they trade kane

2nd worst is going to be the best case scenario. hopefully they can get the tank back on track as to not let teams like columbus, arizona, montreal, and ottawa get too close

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022

San Jose hit 29 pts. And Flyers hit 31 Pretty damn good of a guess!

Reactions: robbieboy3686

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
can't see this team finishing with a worse record than chicago. they are absolutely dreadful and it'll get even worse when they trade kane

2nd worst is going to be the best case scenario. hopefully they can get the tank back on track as to not let teams like columbus, arizona, montreal, and ottawa get too close

Still lots of hockey left to be played. Injuries happen, Anaheim will likely be dumping as well at the deadline. CBJ is already injured. So it’s a juggling contest by March I would say. I’m not so confident Chicago has worst record by seasons end. Also they play CBJ Saturday. And someone has to win.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Still lots of hockey left to be played. Injuries happen, Anaheim will likely be dumping as well at the deadline. CBJ is already injured. So it’s a juggling contest by March I would say. I’m not so confident Chicago has worst record by seasons end. Also they play CBJ Saturday. And someone has to win.

That may actually improve the team. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad