2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I would actually smile if the Jackets win the lottery. They'll need to acquire some big forwards to protect Bedard + Gaudreau but will be a exciting team to watch for sure.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think you share that sentiment alone. None of the rest of us will smile without being the lottery winners ourselves.
Ducks are not winning the lottery. I don't want Chicago or San Jose to win it.
Chicago will likely pull ahead for worst overall record and Chicago drop 2 spots post lottery would be funny.

Reactions: wesott11

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ducks are not winning the lottery. I don't want Chicago or San Jose to win it.
Chicago will likely pull ahead for worst overall record and Chicago drop 2 spots post lottery would be funny.

I’m already preparing for it, by reading up on Carlsson and Fantilli. With Zegras, McTavish, and Terry, adding another 1C or top line winger is also a great start to help them get back on track to competing. Top 3 has all that potential , likely even Top 5 does.

But of course won’t say no to Bedard if we do win the lottery. Lol

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

Little snippet from a name you might be familiar with:

“What people forget is, players are fighting for their jobs for the following year,” said former Anaheim Ducks executive David McNab, who spent more than four decades in the NHL, first as a scout and then as a front-office executive. “I think it’s extremely hard to try to lose. You can run guys up from the minors or play different lineups, but I believe it’s very hard to tell a good young player who is trying to get a contract, or enhance his value, to go out and play lousy.”

McNab’s father, Max, had just been appointed general manager of the Devils in the middle of the 1983-84 season, just ahead of the Lemieux draft. That year, without the uncertainty created by a draft lottery, the Penguins selected Lemieux and changed the trajectory of their organization forever. New Jersey got a very good player — Kirk Muller — as a consolation prize, but Lemieux evolved into one of the top five players in NHL history.

According to McNab, his father didn’t talk much about that first year in New Jersey but remembers him “getting s—” from some fans for winning too many games at the end.

“My dad believed you should try to win and out of respect for the game, you had to put the best team on the ice,” McNab said. “You shouldn’t just try to lose. History will always say, that was dumb. Honestly, they weren’t trying to lose, they just did lose.”

Part of the problem was the Devils had a collection of hungry young players in the lineup — including Pat Verbeek, Ken Daneyko and John MacLean — who were just getting their NHL feet wet. That trio eventually evolved into important contributors.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Ducks players and coaches aren't tanking. Verbeek 100% is tanking or he unintentionally assembled this terrible roster. For his sake I'd like to believe it was done for Bedard.

Yep, exactly. Verbeek assembled this garbage roster mostly intentionally I'm guessing and had to make some mid level signings just to hit the cap floor. Once Drysdale went down for the year and he saw the defense he was working with, it likely became even more palatable to just ride out the pain.

Reactions: Deuce22

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ducks players and coaches aren't tanking. Verbeek 100% is tanking or he unintentionally assembled this terrible roster. For his sake I'd like to believe it was done for Bedard.

PV wasn't the only person thinking this team had a chance of being successful or challenging for a playoff spot with the off-season acquisitions of C Strome, RW Vatrano, D Klingberg, and D Kulikov. In the Beeker Podcast, episode 2, PV reflected on the first quarter review of the season, "we'd be at or near .500 team."

https://pics.me.me/thumb_it-was-at-this-moment-he-knew-he-f***d-prnet-51155942.png

In this year's draft, there's a NA generational talent in Bedard, a Russian generational talent that cannot be seen outside of Russia in Michkov, and two big centers who would be considered #1 pick overall without the generational talents in Fantilli and Carlsson.

giphy.gif

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
san jose least annoying? f*** no. then we'd be facing bedard a bunch of times during the regular season. having him in the division would be terrible
It would suck watching him go to the Sharks but I'm a hockey fan first even before the Ducks. I love being able to see the best in the world play as much as I can.

Reactions: Son of Gib
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Someone can critique my opinion, but I have a real hard time believing Verbeek is purposely tanking.

There is just not enough talent on this roster to be successful, and some of our older prospects aren’t as good as we had hoped.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Chicago is the one I don't want him to go to personally, I don't care if he goes to any of the other teams, but Chicago getting rewarded with a generational talent after all the Kyle Beach shit, 3 Cups and a decade+ of Kane/Toews would grind my gears, Chicago can rot in mediocrity forever for all I care.

Montreal/Columbus would probably be my choice if he doesn't go to the Ducks, Living on the east coast it would mean I'd at least be able to travel to see him play fairly easily.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Chicago is the one I don't want him to go to personally, I don't care if he goes to any of the other teams, but Chicago getting rewarded with a generational talent after all the Kyle Beach shit, 3 Cups and a decade+ of Kane/Toews would grind my gears, Chicago can rot in mediocrity forever for all I care.

Montreal/Columbus would probably be my choice if he doesn't go to the Ducks, Living on the east coast it would mean I'd at least be able to travel to see him play fairly easily.

This is how I see it too, and I would add that of all the teams in the basement this season, they are the team that IMO also appears to be most intentionally tanking for 1st overall. You can make a case for the others that there was at least an effort made to be competitive. Max Domi is really their only notable signing in the past year that I can think of and that was after they traded away Debrincat and Dach and traded for Mrazek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad