2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Have a player ever signed with one of the worst teams, coming from one of the best teams, just to cash in a couple of mil a year more?

2021 off-season: C Danault from Montreal to LA Kings (finished 6 points ahead of the Ducks). Montreal was in the Stanley Cup Finals.

2022 off-season: F Burakovsky from Colorado to Seattle (16 pts behind the Ducks) and F Palat from Tampa Bay to Devils (3 points ahead of the Ducks)... D Klingberg from Dallas and C Strome from NYR signed with the Ducks.

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Tank Watch
3-day forecast​
Friday​
Saturday​
Sunday​
Team​
GP​
Points​
13-Jan​
14-Jan​
15-Jan​
Vancouver​
41​
37​
at Fla​
at Car​
Montreal​
42​
37​
at NYI​
at NYR​
San Jose​
43​
34​
vs Edm​
Arizona​
41​
31​
at Min​
at Wpg​
Anaheim​
42​
28​
vs NJ​
Chicago​
40​
26​
vs Sea​
Columbus​
41​
26​
at Det​

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Thanks for explaining it all. You write so thoroughly detailed it’s pretty remarkable.

Follow up question? What are we doing with all this money in the off season. We are third in the league with cap space already. We have Shattenkirk 3.9 million off the books, Klingberg 7 million, Stolarz money and Kulikov 2.25 million.

I mean that’s like a dream come true for a new GM. Are we signing anyone? Where do we go from here. That’s a boatload of cash available

We can look to recent history to know what will happen this off-season and longer by reviewing this past off-season. RW Terry and C Zegras broke out into stars last year. C Lundy found offense. D Drysdale lasted the whole season without looking overwhelmed. Then we all knew that McTavish was coming to the NHL this season. Anaheim had so much cap space that we looked like we were going to be in trouble by not reaching the cap floor. Fortunately and unfortunately, Klingberg's $7 mil, one-year contract bailed us out. Today, we have $28.3 mil cap space. We didn't spend a lot of money because we're in the middle of a rebuild.

Anaheim is in year 2/3 of the rebuild where Terry, Z, Lundy, McTavish, and Drysdale are considered to be the first layer of the Verbeek foundation. The veterans we have are not a significant part of the "return to the playoff" timeline, except for Fowler, Strome, and Gibby. We are building through the draft, which is why Verbeek wanted many draft picks and will pick up more this TDL.

Because we're building through the draft, Verbeek will be looking for FA plugs until our youth can take the reins. We are not going to be big spenders until we have a solid foundation of youth at forward, defense, and netminding. The earliest I can see Verbeek spending money is the 2025 off-season, and that's if our blue liners acclimate quickly to the NHL level.

Blue line Youth Progress

• At NHL level
    • RD Drysdale (out for the season)
    • LD Benoit (6/7th D)

• At AHL level
    • RD Andersson (too injury prone)
    • RD Helleson (not ready for the NHL)

• Non-Pro Levels
    • LD/RD LaCombe (NCAA senior, needs to be signed... either AHL or NHL in 2023-24)
    • LD Thrun (NCAA senior, needs to be signed... either AHL or NHL in 2023-24)
    • LD/RD Zellweger (going to AHL in 2023-24)
    • LD Hinds (going to AHL in 2023-24)
    • LD Mintyukov (going to AHL in 2023-24)
    • RD Moore (NCAA sophomore)
    • RD Warren (CHL, going to AHL in 2024-25)
    • RD Luneau (CHL, going to AHL in 2024-25)

=== Why is the Blue Line Youth the spending determinant? ===

Provided we finish in the top-4, the Ducks will have four of their top-6 forwards spoken for the next decade plus in RW Terry, C Zegras, C McTavish, and the 2023 top-4 pick. If C Lundy regains his dynamic play, then we're set at 3C. C Strome will still be around as the token veteran presence.

With the aforementioned set, then all we're looking for are complementary top-6 pieces and bottom-6 players. C Groulx, LW Tracey, and RW Perreault have been stewing in the AHL for a couple of years now. C Lopina looks like a defensive bottom-6 forward.

There are a lot more known quantities with the forward group.

With the blue line youth, we don't know exactly what we have, especially with Drysdale gone for the whole season to stop his development. Aside from Drysdale and Benoit, we have no other prospects that are proven at the pro level. Benoit is still a 6/7th defenseman. Verbeek denoted that both Mintyukov and Zellweger need to have a lot better defensive structure in their game. This is why it'll take at least two seasons of developing prospect D at the pro level, both AHL and NHL. (It kinda looks like three seasons maybe needed b/c of the lack of experience.)

I don't see us being big spenders until we've got a solid NHL foundation at forward and defense. Not worried about netminding b/c we have Gibby, Dostal, Alexander, Clang, and Buteyets already in tow.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Ducks still have a solid shot at him. I think the bottom line is every bad team will have their 10 game stretch where they get like 3-4 wins. And fans of that team will start getting pissed and say “we’re blowing our shot at Bedard. But it’s a long season and shit teams are going to be shit teams

The hawks are currently on that stretch and the ducks had that stretch a week-2 weeks ago. Hopefully the Blue Jackets go on that stretch next

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
One thing that's been a little overlooked, unless I've missed comments on it, is Colorado struggling a bit also helps us with their second round pick.
It's looking like all three of our second round picks might be spread pretty evenly throughout the round. Our pick will obviously be pretty high, the Colorado pick might wind up toward the middle, and the Boston pick should be toward the lower end of the round.

Reactions: Static

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It's looking like all three of our second round picks might be spread pretty evenly throughout the round. Our pick will obviously be pretty high, the Colorado pick might wind up toward the middle, and the Boston pick should be toward the lower end of the round.

It's probably early, but for some reason I don't have same feeling that this draft is as deep as last year's draft with respect to prospects on the radar. Maybe the Central Scouting Mid-terms will urge me to do more diving. I'm expecting to get a late first round pick and I'm looking at D, but we really need more top-6 help.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
It's probably early, but for some reason I don't have same feeling that this draft is as deep as last year's draft with respect to prospects on the radar. Maybe the Central Scouting Mid-terms will urge me to do more diving. I'm expecting to get a late first round pick and I'm looking at D, but we really need more top-6 help.
There are a few guys expected to go late 1st (although I could see 1-2 of them moving up) that I've been looking at that would fit a needed role with top-6 upside that might be worth looking at if we get a late 1st round pick and don't go after a defenseman like Reinbacher.

Quentin Musty/Matthew Wood/Charlie Stramel/Koehn Ziemmer are the ones I've looked at that I think have very high ceilings, they all have their obvious weaknesses as is usually the case with late 1st round guys but overall I think you're looking at a great group of players that bring some combination of size/skill that could fill in that missing element in our top-6 of a solid power forward that is able to hold his own skill wise with our top players

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
There are a few guys expected to go late 1st (although I could see 1-2 of them moving up) that I've been looking at that would fit a needed role with top-6 upside that might be worth looking at if we get a late 1st round pick and don't go after a defenseman like Reinbacher.

Quentin Musty/Matthew Wood/Charlie Stramel/Koehn Ziemmer are the ones I've looked at that I think have very high ceilings, they all have their obvious weaknesses as is usually the case with late 1st round guys but overall I think you're looking at a great group of players that bring some combination of size/skill that could fill in that missing element in our top-6 of a solid power forward that is able to hold his own skill wise with our top players

I hope so. I hope we can find a Snuggerud type player. Stramel sounds like the type, but I have a feeling he'll rise fast into the teens or higher. Remember last year when all the taller forwards rose and all the smaller forwards dropped in the first round.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ducks have a game against Columbus next week, let's see if they can come up with a big L

That game is going to be very interesting to watch, lol.…

C4460BA8-4C7F-4B05-A7E5-CA04D0075429.gif

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It appears like Chicago, CBJ, Anaheim, SJS, and Arizona have really separated themselves as a clear bottom 5 at this point

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m hoping to add a 1st + 2 more 2nds in this draft by deadline/draft

Give us flexibility to move up with any of our early 2nd and late 1st round picks

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’m hoping to add a 1st + 2 more 2nds in this draft by deadline/draft

Give us flexibility to move up with any of our early 2nd and late 1st round picks
I don’t see a reasonable method to getting an extra 1st(please don’t say Klingberg) but I hope you’re right

Reactions: Boo Boo

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don’t see a reasonable method to getting an extra 1st(please don’t say Klingberg) but I hope you’re right
i think there is still a shot kling snags a 1st…. If he doesn’t he’ll at least get a 2nd which we can put a 2-3 2nds together and see where it lands us in the first round.

For reference Boston fans seemed on board with something like

Klingberg at 50% for 1st…. Obviously the trade would need to be creative to get money to work… but if I’m verbeek I do what I have to go get a 1st for kling

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
i think there is still a shot kling snags a 1st…. If he doesn’t he’ll at least get a 2nd which we can put a 2-3 2nds together and see where it lands us in the first round.

For reference Boston fans seemed on board with something like

Klingberg at 50% for 1st…. Obviously the trade would need to be creative to get money to work… but if I’m verbeek I do what I have to go get a 1st for kling
It’s not going to happen IMO with the way he’s played but you can hope. And trading 2-3 2nds to get a late 1st makes little sense for us IMO

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It’s not going to happen IMO with the way he’s played but you can hope. And trading 2-3 2nds to get a late 1st makes little sense for us IMO
I mean for most part I agree… but I’ll keep on hoping till his is officially moved lol

As for the 2-3 2nds to move into 1st…. Obviously that mostly depends on what Is available there and how many 2nds we go in with.

For instance if Ziemmer or musty are on board at 26+ range I’d consider moving 2 2nds to grab 1 of them…. Maybe it gets done with our 2nd + 3rd.

I hope we do 1 of those moves we saw this past draft where a team trades their 1st + dump for a 2nd.

We’ll see plenty of time for things to change, I’m hopeful verbeek continues collecting assets and finding ways back into the 1st and 2nd rounds

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Columbus currently up big on the Wings. We'll see if they can hold on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad