2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I think if Bedard is picked the Ducks spend in the offseason to better insulate him and the other kids and try to make a push for the playoffs. Kind of like what the Wings did this offseason and what I remember the Pens doing when Syd was drafted.

Anyone else drafted and they probably spend half the amount on free agents and probably only slightly improve next season.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Have a player ever signed with one of the worst teams, coming from one of the best teams, just to cash in a couple of mil a year more?

You make a good point. But Anaheim does have money. It’s a very tricky situation to say the least. We gotta hit the cap floor somehow. And we only have Terry and Zegras needing expensive contracts.

I don’t think Zegras and Terry will soak up that much money. If my calculations are right of 26 million available this off season as the starting number of the team assembled

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
You make a good point. But Anaheim does have money. It’s a very tricky situation to say the least. We gotta hit the cap floor somehow. And we only have Terry and Zegras needing expensive contracts.

I don’t think Zegras and Terry will soak up that much money. If my calculations are right of 26 million available this off season as the starting number of the team assembled
It's pretty certain that we will not look to spend to the cap. We have youngsters coming up next year who will need money, and I don't think Verbeek is the kind of guy that would go out and overspend for FAs (which is what it would take for Pasta to even consider Anaheim), especially in our situation.

So I think Pasta to ANA is very unrealistic, just my 2 cents.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
It's pretty certain that we will not look to spend to the cap. We have youngsters coming up next year who will need money, and I don't think Verbeek is the kind of guy that would go out and overspend for FAs (which is what it would take for Pasta to even consider Anaheim), especially in our situation.

Very fair point. Do you see us taking on bad contracts this deadline for draft capital as a return? Sitting on all this money season after season is kinda weird.

I wonder if Terry and Zegras next contract will get us to the cap floor. Which may be a problem with these expiring contracts. Shattenkirk, Stolarz, Klingberg, Kulikov etc

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Very fair point. Do you see us taking on bad contracts this deadline for draft capital as a return? Sitting on all this money season after season is kinda weird.

I wonder if Terry and Zegras next contract will get us to the cap floor. Which may be a problem with these expiring contracts. Shattenkirk, Stolarz, Klingberg, Kulikov etc
I think we will take some contracts in the deadline and/or summer. Since we're not competing yet, then no need to spend for nothing. And the thing is that one or two FA signings will not turn us around anyway, so I think it's smarter to hold on a bit. Not sure iff long-term successful teams ever go for big name players in the FA with massive contracts (thinking about Tampa, previously Chicago, LA, etc). Those guys never overspend and I have an impression Verbeek is trying to model something similar, even if at start it means sucking a lot. It's often there are some sneaky trades that turn out very good for winning teams, I'd rather look at those.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
I think we will take some contracts in the deadline and/or summer. Since we're not competing yet, then no need to spend for nothing. And the thing is that one or two FA signings will not turn us around anyway, so I think it's smarter to hold on a bit. Not sure iff long-term successful teams ever go for big name players in the FA with massive contracts (thinking about Tampa, previously Chicago, LA, etc). Those guys never overspend and I have an impression Verbeek is trying to model something similar, even if at start it means sucking a lot. It's often there are some sneaky trades that turn out very good for winning teams, I'd rather look at those.

Have to agree with the sneaky trades idea. I still remember the Beauchemin and Todd Marchant trade out of the blue.

And they turned out like diamonds for Anaheim.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Have to agree with the sneaky trades idea. I still remember the Beauchemin and Todd Marchant trade out of the blue.

And they turned out like diamonds for Anaheim.
There was the Devon Toews one for Colorado, must be one of the best ones in recent history. Ofc it usually takes good team around, we are still building that.

Actually, I think Colorado signed Nichushkin (I initially thought he was traded for). That's a good example of a good signing, but pretty much no one thought he'd be this good, probably even Colorado :laugh:

But yeah, to be creative, you have to be sneaky with trades and signings. The big dollar signings is usually a disaster, but the big markets always require something to be done, so they pressure their mgmt in doing something like that :laugh:

Regarding Pasta, he can be successful because his team has Bergy, Lindholm, and other two-way studs. He comes to our dumpster-fire defense and he's nowhere near as valuable anymore.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

The only Pasta we’re gonna see is Sasha, and that is not even a sure thing. Although he is really producing in the OHL this year.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Have a player ever signed with one of the worst teams, coming from one of the best teams, just to cash in a couple of mil a year more?
You have to remember though, hockey players aren’t like baseball or basketball players making $40M a year. If the Bruins are cap strapped, he would be wise to weigh his options. There’s a big difference between, for example, $60M and $90M in total value. And also, teams rise and fall pretty quickly in the NHL. What could be a bad team now could be a contender for most of his contract. And the Bruins could fade after a few years, too. Not saying it should be here, but he should have some choices where he could make way more money.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
You have to remember though, hockey players aren’t like baseball or basketball players making $40M a year. If the Bruins are cap strapped, he would be wise to weigh his options. There’s a big difference between, for example, $60M and $90M in total value. And also, teams rise and fall pretty quickly in the NHL. What could be a bad team now could be a contender for most of his contract. And the Bruins could fade after a few years, too. Not saying it should be here, but he should have some choices where he could make way more money.
From his standpoint sure, I was trying to say that there are multiple factors. The chances of only us giving him an appealing offer even if we did and even if he went the FA route are close to zero. If I dream with my eyes open I rather dream that McDavid requests trade to Anaheim :laugh:

Burakovski?
Good point. I guess I was thinking star players :laugh:

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
From his standpoint sure, I was trying to say that there are multiple factors. The chances of only us giving him an appealing offer even if we did and even if he went the FA route are close to zero. If I dream with my eyes open I rather dream that McDavid requests trade to Anaheim :laugh:

Good point. I guess I was thinking star players :laugh:
Panarin would probably be the closest. Columbus wasn't a top team but they weren't a bottome team either and they were aggressive trying to give the team a real shot before he went UFA.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Johnny Gaudreau would qualify, I think.

Not that Columbus was *terrible* before, but they certainly weren't good.
True that, I forgot this one as well. It was Gaudreaus home related tho, apparently. We have to ban Pasta over the Atlantic ocean so his closest route back to Czechia is through the West coast and we can hope :laugh:

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Montreal won, Columbus lost, Chicago up by one late in the third against Colorado. I expect at least OT in that game.

Colorado literally tied it just as I started typing the reply to this, though Chicago is challenging.

Also of note: Arizona is losing again, down 3-1 at home to Ottawa after 40 minutes; gap looks like it's staying at 3 points. The home and home on 1/24 and 1/28 is gonna be massive for tanking purposes.

Reactions: Static

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Colorado literally tied it just as I started typing the reply to this, though Chicago is challenging.

Also of note: Arizona is losing again, down 3-1 at home to Ottawa after 40 minutes; gap looks like it's staying at 3 points. The home and home on 1/24 and 1/28 is gonna be massive for tanking purposes.

Chicago wins the challenge, and hangs on to win the game 3-2. 3 straight wins to put them two points back (in a tie with Columbus at 26 points)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad