2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
too bad columbus couldn't pull out a win against the caps

with the way tonight's game is going, it could have been the perfect night for the tank with the hawks winning

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
too bad columbus couldn't pull out a win against the caps

with the way tonight's game is going, it could have been the perfect night for the tank with the hawks winning
What’s the deal with Columbus? Are they injured or just as bad as their record suggests

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
So there’s hope that some of their players will return and they’ll string some wins together?

Not really. Gavrikov is the only legit top 4 D they have and he's probably going to get moved. It's basically Gudbranson and a bunch of prospects on their blueline every night. They're every bit as bad as us and Chicago.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
How have we not had major injuries yet? Not voting for them but the one year we are looking to bottom out our team is healthy

D Drysdale out for the season
D Vaak was injured before the season started (sept 30) and returned to the Ducks Nov 29th
LW Jones on IR (has been gone since Dec 13)
C Lundy on IR (out 6 to 8 weeks, gone since Dec 1)
F Grant on IR (has been gone since Dec 3rd)

Goalies Gibby and Stolarz were out for a spell about the same time that we brought up both AHL goalies in Dostal and OEE as well as forced to sign G Alexander from his CHL club and assigned him to San Diego.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
How have we not had major injuries yet? Not voting for them but the one year we are looking to bottom out our team is healthy
I mean we have, but that's not to say we can't have more.

Can't wait for the season to end with Terry being out indefinitely with a lacerated brain (somehow), Zegras to have a leave of absence in order to go hunt for his lost mojo that EA stole from him when they made him pose for that NHL cover, and McT to experience and out-of-body death as Reaves or someone rips out his astral projection in a fight ensuing a scrum.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
So there’s hope that some of their players will return and they’ll string some wins together?
Well, Werenski is gone for the season and he’s their best dman. Maybe Boqvist gets healthy and helps them a bit. Maybe jiricek gets called up and plays well down the stretch.

But there’s not much talent there. Their blue line is similar to ours

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So, we have played exactly half a season, and we're with the 3rd worst P% and the worst goal differential.

Half a season left, technically means that how much things changed from the start of the season to now, as much could change until the end of the year.

I think we're somewhat getting better, but a bottom-10 finish should be inevitable, very likely a bottom-5 and a bit likely a bottom-3 ( I think ARI, SJS, PHI, MTL will be sucking more than they did in the first half).

I realised that for myself I'm not attaching myself to any prospect in the upcoming draft, gotta wait out the lottery first. Whatever happens, I trust our scouts, but I think it's not that sure-fire we'd be getting a franchise-type player, at all. Not only because of the position we might end up with, but also with that some of the alleged franchise-type players might not be as good. Either way, we should be getting a very good one, in any case. Anything else is just apples and oranges.

Just my 2 cents.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
So, we have played exactly half a season, and we're with the 3rd worst P% and the worst goal differential.

Half a season left, technically means that how much things changed from the start of the season to now, as much could change until the end of the year.

I think we're somewhat getting better, but a bottom-10 finish should be inevitable, very likely a bottom-5 and a bit likely a bottom-3 ( I think ARI, SJS, PHI, MTL will be sucking more than they did in the first half).

I realised that for myself I'm not attaching myself to any prospect in the upcoming draft, gotta wait out the lottery first. Whatever happens, I trust our scouts, but I think it's not that sure-fire we'd be getting a franchise-type player, at all. Not only because of the position we might end up with, but also with that some of the alleged franchise-type players might not be as good. Either way, we should be getting a very good one, in any case. Anything else is just apples and oranges.

Just my 2 cents.
I’m in the same boat but not as hesitant about where we’ll be drafting. Catching teams like Philly and Montreal is going to be pretty tough and unlikely IMO. AZ and SJS is possible I guess but also not that likely. I don’t really see us not picking in the top 5 personally. We are that bad

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Well, Werenski is gone for the season and he’s their best dman. Maybe Boqvist gets healthy and helps them a bit. Maybe jiricek gets called up and plays well down the stretch.

But there’s not much talent there. Their blue line is similar to ours
their offense is also pretty much just gaudreau. laine has been decent when he's played but he's always injured

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I’m in the same boat but not as hesitant about where we’ll be drafting. Catching teams like Philly and Montreal is going to be pretty tough and unlikely IMO. AZ and SJS is possible I guess but also not that likely. I don’t really see us not picking in the top 5 personally. We are that bad
We are that bad and with shattenkirk kling on the way out and posisbly Henrique if he wants to go to a contender. And having them replaced with del zotto helleson and Perrault/Tracey/regenda we will be worse. I’m in the camp of GM PV will bench and call up and trade players to guarantee being one of the worst 3 teams in the league. And he should. At the same time, this being contrAct years for zegras and Terry and drysdale. We might get some team friendly deals for them tbh( on longer terms ) since they aren’t exactly lighting it up.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We are that bad and with shattenkirk kling on the way out and posisbly Henrique if he wants to go to a contender. And having them replaced with del zotto helleson and Perrault/Tracey/regenda we will be worse. I’m in the camp of GM PV will bench and call up and trade players to guarantee being one of the worst 3 teams in the league. And he should. At the same time, this being contrAct years for zegras and Terry and drysdale. We might get some team friendly deals for them tbh( on longer terms ) since they aren’t exactly lighting it up.

I'm opposed to trading Rico away. His offense is consistent and he now plays on the PK unit. Then there's the significant value of being McTavish's binky for the rest of this season and next. We're already a bottom team with Rico, so keeping him won't hurt the Ducks in the standings, but will help with the development of our youths since Rico has chemistry with our most talented offensive players in Terry, Z, and McTavish.

If we want to become relevant sooner, then it's of great import to retain Rico to keep our young trio forwards developing as well as our first 2023 1st round pick.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I wouldn't trade Henrique just for the sake of it, but I'd certainly listen on him (and PV definitely is), and if we can get either a 1st or 2nd + prospect, pull the trigger. He doesn't need to be moved but he also in all likelihood won't be here when we're competing so no reason not to sell high if we can.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I wouldn't trade Henrique just for the sake of it, but I'd certainly listen on him (and PV definitely is), and if we can get either a 1st or 2nd + prospect, pull the trigger. He doesn't need to be moved but he also in all likelihood won't be here when we're competing so no reason not to sell high if we can.

We don't have to trade Rico at this TDL b/c he's still under contract for next season. Rico will still possess value at next season's TDL. IMO, Rico is more valuable to our youth forward development b/c Strome and Vatrano haven't actually lived up to their billing.

Rico: 21 pts, -2, plays on the PP1, plays on PK, and 53.3% on the dot.
Strome: 21 pts, -16, plays on the PP2, and 43.7% on the dot
Vatrano: 17 pts, -14, plays on the PP2, plays on PK

Trading Rico at this TDL for a late first round pick would not help the current Ducks immediately. That pick probably won't make it to the NHL until year 3 at the earliest. McTavish finally is playing 1C and he has instant chemistry with Rico, but not Terry. So we're going to take Rico away from McTavish in a couple of months with Rico under contract through next season. Are we planning on tanking for #1 overall again for the 2024 draft?

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
With regards to Rico, I think it’s more about asking him if he wants to go to a contender or not. He’s solid, but this team wants to get bigger and stronger and younger. And we brought in Strome and Vatrano for some veteran leadership ( and Terry is becoming that too) If Henrique is happy for sure keep him around at least until next trade deadline. But if a veteran like him wants to pursue other opportunities, he deserves that’s.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
With regards to Rico, I think it’s more about asking him if he wants to go to a contender or not. He’s solid, but this team wants to get bigger and stronger and younger. And we brought in Strome and Vatrano for some veteran leadership ( and Terry is becoming that too) If Henrique is happy for sure keep him around at least until next trade deadline. But if a veteran like him wants to pursue other opportunities, he deserves that’s.

I think moving Rico next trade dead line will make more sense but then again, maybe he wants to stay in Anaheim and signs a team friendly extension. The idea is to have stop gaps to help the kids grow. One example, McTavish is starting to show signs of a break out rookie season and part of it is because of Rico. If Terry can start scoring again, they’d have two good scoring lines.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I think moving Rico next trade dead line will make more sense but then again, maybe he wants to stay in Anaheim and signs a team friendly extension. The idea is to have stop gaps to help the kids grow. One example, McTavish is starting to show signs of a break out rookie season and part of it is because of Rico. If Terry can start scoring again, they’d have two good scoring lines.
If he wants to stay, and he can take a team friendly deal I’m all for it. He’s a really hard competitor, I think he wants to win a cup. That’s just me.

Reactions: Leonardo87

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

It really depends on if the ducks are willing to retain or take salary back. Rico on the ice for 2 playoff runs is worth much more than 1 year for a contending team. The problem is cap. A contending team will not be thrilled with his cap number for the full 2023-24 season.

Personally, if the ducks can get premium assets (a 2023 first and a good prospect at least), I'd prefer to retain and trade him this year with some retention/returned salary. But I can see an argument to wait a year, let him mentor the kids, and then trade him as a rental where he likely has decent value.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It really depends on if the ducks are willing to retain or take salary back. Rico on the ice for 2 playoff runs is worth much more than 1 year for a contending team. The problem is cap. A contending team will not be thrilled with his cap number for the full 2023-24 season.

Personally, if the ducks can get premium assets (a 2023 first and a good prospect at least), I'd prefer to retain and trade him this year with some retention/returned salary. But I can see an argument to wait a year, let him mentor the kids, and then trade him as a rental where he likely has decent value.

Oh yeah if the deal is very good you pull the trigger but you have to look at the kids development. We rather Mac have someone like Rico on his wing and not Leason or Jones

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Oh yeah if the deal is very good you pull the trigger but you have to look at the kids development. We rather Mac have someone like Rico on his wing and not Leason or Jones
By then give perrault and Tracey call ups for some development.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Daily tank commander reporting for duty!

Captain’s log, 1/9/23: not much going on tonight, although Philly shutout Buffalo to get to 39 points, 11 ahead of the Ducks. Given Anaheim would have to win 6 more games than the Flyers over the remainder of the season to jump them, you can write them off as all but uncatchable I would think.

Columbus is in Tampa tomorrow night, but the main event for the evening is Sharks-Coyotes in Tempe. A 3-point outcome from that game would be ideal.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Flyers won yesterday against the Sabres. That’s good news.

Daily tank commander reporting for duty!

Captain’s log, 1/9/23: not much going on tonight, although Philly shutout Buffalo to get to 39 points, 11 ahead of the Ducks. Given Anaheim would have to win 6 more games than the Flyers over the remainder of the season to jump them, you can write them off as all but uncatchable I would think.

Columbus is in Tampa tomorrow night, but the main event for the evening is Sharks-Coyotes in Tempe. A 3-point outcome from that game would be ideal.

Yup! 4-0 shut out. 😮 Flyers coming back alive

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Ersson is looking super good right now. He's trying to steal that net.

Yup! And he’s looking mighty fine as well doing it. I’m shocked on how good the goalies are this year. When we brought up Dostal? Everyone couldn’t stop talking about em in the Nachos line at Honda center.

The NHL goalies? Really have improved over the years. It’s not like a few years ago when it was Price, Luongo, Goalie from Boston who had the Hasek mask. 😩 I forgot his name. But you get where I am going at

This entire NHL has solid goaltending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad