2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Absolute moronic point… went from last place to 3rd….bravo, way to go boys!!! Maybe the team will cheer when we drop at the lottery outside the top 5 and continue to suck, and players start asking for a trade out of here. I’m pretty certain the bottom two teams are smart enough to lose the rest of the way….

Time to just fire Eakins right now… the idiot needs to go… he can’t execute anything and is useless. The loser can’t even lose correctly. I can’t imagine any team giving him another shot to coach… all he does is fail. He probably would have ruined a Bedard, and couldn’t win even with McDavid.

Reactions: HunterDuck

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Absolute moronic point… went from last place to 3rd….bravo, way to go boys!!! Maybe the team will cheer when we drop at the lottery outside the top 5 and continue to suck, and players start asking for a trade out of here. I’m pretty certain the bottom two teams are smart enough to lose the rest of the way….

Time to just fire Eakins right now… the idiot needs to go… he can’t execute anything and is useless. The loser can’t even lose correctly. I can’t imagine any team giving him another shot to coach… all he does is fail. He probably would have ruined a Bedard, and couldn’t win even with McDavid.
Eakins was fired from the Oilers before McDavid was drafted. I agree they should fire him but your memory is a bit off.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Eakins was fired from the Oilers before McDavid was drafted. I agree they should fire him but your memory is a bit off.

Yeah, you are right… it was three other 1st overall picks that sucked under him… Hall, Yakupov, Hopkins. I’d have to say all three developed into underachievers…

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Tanking is rooting for everyone on the team to play like shit?

Great foundation to build a core on.
plenty of young future stars have started their careers on losing teams. the whole "losing culture" thing is completely overblown

this tanking thread was made specifically so that those of us who are actively cheering for the team to lose in order to increase their chances of securing a higher pick and a brighter future can do so away from the GDT. why come in here and try to act like you're a "better" fan for not feeling the way we do?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

The team played without Terry, got OEE to get his first start in the NHL, OEE gave up 5 goals, and played with only 5 defensemen, but still came away with a point. Man, this Eakins guy just keeps overachieving.

Another posted shared the following, getting last place gives you a 25.5% chance of winning the lottery, but it's also 74.5% chance of losing the lottery.

- Columbus gets to play Philly, who's on a 6-game losing streak and could be 7-game after playing the Bruins tomorrow.

- Chicago also plays Philly in their very last game of the season.

There's still a chance we can earn the last spot.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Tanking is rooting for everyone on the team to play like shit?

Great foundation to build a core on.
Uh. What? Fans rooting for a few losses to juice odds affects the roster core into the future...how exactly?

People will remember. People still talk about the Penguins tanking, hell theres a documentary on it.

The fans deserve to have their team try. There's people who come out from other countries to see the Ducks play and purposely trying to get a better pick is a spit in the face to them. Sitting out star players (which some posters suggested) is wrong. Not playing your best when they are available is also wrong.
I do agree that the pathetic state of the Ducks doesn't really make a ton of difference because even when they do try, its pretty much a spit in the face to the fans but Verbeek being too incompetent to ice a good team and Verbeek being willfully incompetent is a line that I didn't want to see the Ducks ever cross.

People can shit on Rico, Jones and Strome all they want, but I think them showing some fight today showed some pride, which is far more important than getting a percentile of better a chance at a star player.

Okay. I'm just going to put it to you reasonably. For you, it's important that the team stays honorable, that they play for pride, and they stay dedicated to fair play. For some others, they recognize that this is a top heavy draft and the Ducks, for a fleeting moment were in the right position to guarantee themselves, if not the potential generational talent, one of two guys that are first overall pick quality. Which is an opportunity this team has never had, and an opportunity that can help shorten the rebuild.

Now, for me personally as someone in that second camp, I don't want the Ducks to make a habit of being mediocre to terrible, but there's no unsinking that ship this year. We now have an NHL record for poor defensive play. So on one end, I really find the need for the honor and integrity of trying in a shot season to really not be all that concerning considering the whole season is an embarrassment. And that's only enhanced by the other end of my point that I personally don't have a photographic memory of individual games unless they're remarkable. Carlyle going on a franchise worst run of losses before getting fired in both of his stints is a memory that sticks out to me, but I couldn't tell you what our line combos were, who our opponents were, final scores. Not without looking it up. All I know was it was miserable hockey. So, in 5 years I won't remember the score of tonight's game. But I will remember whether we ended up getting lucky through the lottery selection, or where we guaranteed ourselves a spot in a stacked draft. So I don't really care about the integrity of effort for what's left of this uncleaned latrine of a season. My eye is on the future cause the present has sucked. If there was no draft, then sure I'd root for the win every time.

But that was a whole bunch of words for the main point: the GDT is for everybody. this thread is to sequester the people that are encouraging the tank. If you don't like this kind of talk, stick to the GDT.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
plenty of young future stars have started their careers on losing teams. the whole "losing culture" thing is completely overblown

this tanking thread was made specifically so that those of us who are actively cheering for the team to lose in order to increase their chances of securing a higher pick and a brighter future can do so away from the GDT. why come in here and try to act like you're a "better" fan for not feeling the way we do?
Plenty of young future stars have also bolted from a losing culture. Plenty of prospects also get traded because they play poorly. Plenty of players lose the love for the game when they are around losing on a day to day basis. Also, the value of the current roster will continue to go down if they played as badly as some people want them to.

I'm not saying, I'm a better fan. I'm telling you that what you are cheering for is actually not going to secure a brighter future but make it harder to succeed with that draft pick. It makes little sense to me to get angry with guys like Strome who will be on this team for the next 5 years for playing well. Who do you think Bedard's teammates are going to be? are we allowed to draft an entire team with that draft pick?
Uh. What? Fans rooting for a few losses to juice odds affects the roster core into the future...how exactly?

Okay. I'm just going to put it to you reasonably. For you, it's important that the team stays honorable, that they play for pride, and they stay dedicated to fair play. For some others, they recognize that this is a top heavy draft and the Ducks, for a fleeting moment were in the right position to guarantee themselves, if not the potential generational talent, one of two guys that are first overall pick quality. Which is an opportunity this team has never had, and an opportunity that can help shorten the rebuild.

Now, for me personally as someone in that second camp, I don't want the Ducks to make a habit of being mediocre to terrible, but there's no unsinking that ship this year. We now have an NHL record for poor defensive play. So on one end, I really find the need for the honor and integrity of trying in a shot season to really not be all that concerning considering the whole season is an embarrassment. And that's only enhanced by the other end of my point that I personally don't have a photographic memory of individual games unless they're remarkable. Carlyle going on a franchise worst run of losses before getting fired in both of his stints is a memory that sticks out to me, but I couldn't tell you what our line combos were, who our opponents were, final scores. Not without looking it up. All I know was it was miserable hockey. So, in 5 years I won't remember the score of tonight's game. But I will remember whether we ended up getting lucky through the lottery selection, or where we guaranteed ourselves a spot in a stacked draft. So I don't really care about the integrity of effort for what's left of this uncleaned latrine of a season. My eye is on the future cause the present has sucked. If there was no draft, then sure I'd root for the win every time.

But that was a whole bunch of words for the main point: the GDT is for everybody. this thread is to sequester the people that are encouraging the tank. If you don't like this kind of talk, stick to the GDT.

What you are rooting for is counterproductive to your goals of the future. Surrounding Bedard with guys that can't play does nothing for him or the franchise. Next season the UFA class is incredibly thin, there's no minor league guys who appear to be NHL ready. Many of the players still playing will be his teammates. If these guys were getting destroyed by a team like the Coyotes, I'd be seriously concerned for the future of Bedard. Look at how long the Oilers had McDavid for. What do they have to show for it? What was lost so far? This is his 8th season hes yet to even make it to a cup final. Multiple top prospects were either ruined or sent to another team. Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz were all touted as a big deal but are nowhere to be seen in Edmonton. I'd like to see the team to be good with THIS core, McTavish, Zegras, Terry, Drysdale, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Dostal and Gaucher. I don't see this happening if the vets around them are all losers that gave up and got smoked by a team that legit started the tank in August of last year.

I'll leave this thread to you and your ilk to pray for us to be the Oilers of the next decade.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’d be very surprised if we drafted 5th. Right now 4th seems most likely. Right in Michkov-range lol

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hey Folks,

The Tank thread is for folks who want the team to lose or are rooting for them to lose. We removed tank talk from the GDT so folks can post about the games and not be concerned with direct tank talk or posts wanting them to lose.

Please don’t come in here and start questioning folks if they are a fan of the team or not. It’s trolling at this point. Yeah, I don’t agree about some fans getting mad at players for performing well and helping them get a win or loser point. But it’s not against the rules.

I’ve asked the tank crowd to be considerate and most of you have, thank you for that. If you don’t agree with the discussions here, would just ask to be considerate of the fans here as well.

If you have concerns feel free to PM a mod.

Thanks

Leo

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Imagine if we get Michkov at #4. We get to spend 3 years worrying about whether he comes over or not AND get to continue with the tank talk because we didnt get immediate help.

Leo Carlsson is projected at #4, I see us landing Leo or Will Smith. Both players have higher potential than what we currently have.

A lot of the bottom teams are just entering their rebuild and can be patient with Michkov. We are year 2/3 out of 5 in our rebuild and may not want to wait or take the risk.

I don’t see us winning a game in the final three, but we need help now from Chicago and Columbus to at least secure a loser point. We own the tiebreaker with everyone In the bottom 5.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I spent a good part of the season hoping for the team to win. I only embraced the tank late in the season when it was obvious that the best hope for the Ducks was to finish as low as possible in order to get the best possible draft choice. Next year I will go back to hoping for wins. I don't want to endorse tanking for two or three years in a row. I somehow feel dirty when I do support tanking, and while I recognize the disaster of this year, I don't want to repeat it.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Leo Carlsson is projected at #4, I see us landing Leo or Will Smith. Both players have higher potential than what we currently have.

A lot of the bottom teams are just entering their rebuild and can be patient with Michkov. We are year 2/3 out of 5 in our rebuild and may not want to wait or take the risk.

I don’t see us winning a game in the final three, but we need help now from Chicago and Columbus to at least secure a loser point. We own the tiebreaker with everyone In the bottom 5.
I kind of expect a win vs Vancouver

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I kind of expect a win vs Vancouver

I dunno man, we are really bad. Arizona is very bad also but still got 2 points from us.

I think Colorado and the Kings are still playing for position, so they won’t be resting guys and Vancouver is a much better team than the bottom 5.

We shall see.

Reactions: McDonald19 and Kalv

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Carlsson was projected at number 4. After these impressive SHL playoff games he could challenge for second overall.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Carlsson was projected at number 4. After these impressive SHL playoff games he could challenge for second overall.

You think he will go over Fantilli? Man, this is why we need to bottom out , sucks we are here but I really want one of Bedard, Carlsson, or Fantilli.

Smith would be very nice but think we can do better.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You think he will go over Fantilli? Man, this is why we need to bottom out , sucks we are here but I really want one of Bedard, Carlsson, or Fantilli.

Smith would be very nice but think we can do better.
I'm not saying it necessarily will happen. Fantilli had an outstanding season, but Carlsson is right behind the Sedins for all time most points by an 18 year old in the SHL playoffs. They're both first overall material. Michkov is too but it's a riskier pick for reasons we've repeated as nauseum.

That's why it's annoying to me that we've had this thread sidetracked. No Ducks fans want the team to be bad. It's precisely because we want the team to be good again that we look at a historically bad season and say, might as well just lose out so we can get better compensation out of it, hit the reset button over the summer and start the process of building, developing, and training a contender. No one is hoping this team stays a loser until the draft builds a winning roster for Verbeek. Absolutely no one wants that. This part of my response isn't really pointed at you so much as reflecting my reading of the last couple of pages.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not saying it necessarily will happen. Fantilli had an outstanding season, but Carlsson is right behind the Sedins for all time most points by an 18 year old in the SHL playoffs. They're both first overall material. Michkov is too but it's a riskier pick for reasons we've repeated as nauseum.

That's why it's annoying to me that we've had this thread sidetracked. No Ducks fans want the team to be bad. It's precisely because we want the team to be good again that we look at a historically bad season and say, might as well just lose out so we can get better compensation out of it, hit the reset button over the summer and start the process of building, developing, and training a contender. No one is hoping this team stays a loser until the draft builds a winning roster for Verbeek. Absolutely no one wants that. This part of my response isn't really pointed at you so much as reflecting my reading of the last couple of pages.

Yeah I’m trying to get this thread back on track. We said the GDTs are for rooting and discussing play by play moments, and this thread is for posting frustrations of them winning and going against the tank, and etc.

Everyone needs to respect each other’s
Opinions, in the end we are all Ducks fans and want what’s best for our team.

If I’m being honest , I can’t wait for this F’ing season to be over.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Again -Like Leo said, if you don’t like what someone is posting here, PM a mod. Don’t engage and then attack them in a post that guarantees they’ll come back and respond/defend themselves. This is a tank thread, not an unmoderated thread, it would be appreciated if all parties help keep tensions (and our workload) down. Thank you.

Reactions: Kalv and Leonardo87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad