Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Edition

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Seems like we’re advancing on a lot of players right now but wouldn’t be surprised if we can’t close any of the deals. They’re always trying to get the players at the lowest possible fee. Sometimes you just gotta pay what it takes.
I don't really see how this is a take given that the only player in recent memory (aka with this executive bunch) we didn't close on was Mudryk, which looks to have been a good thing. Jesus, Zinchenko, Odegaard, White, Tomiyasu, Ramsdale, etc. all closed pretty smoothly.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
I don't really see how this is a take given that the only player in recent memory (aka with this executive bunch) we didn't close on was Mudryk, which looks to have been a good thing. Jesus, Zinchenko, Odegaard, White, Tomiyasu, Ramsdale, etc. all closed pretty smoothly.

You’re right we managed to close those deals. But we almost never close them early on in the window so the new players doesn’t get a proper chance to translate smooth into the team with a full pre season. Jesus the only early signing on that list.

With the rumoured ”war-chest” this summer i think we should afford ourselves the luxury to just pay whatever the selling clubs want’s and close the deals before the pre season starts. Might not be wisely economic but if it backfire the Saudis will bail us out right?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So it sounds like Arsenal's shortlist involves Rice, Lavia, Havertz, and Timber. Havertz still sucks for the rumoured price, but you can't really choose three other better targets than those.
He's not as devout as some and I think maybe if he moved there that would be a problem. The amount of money required to do it would also be otherworldly massive, like a world record fee.
Not sure how devout he is, but he prays after he scores every goal.
David being linked with a move to Napoli to be Osimhen replacement.
The last rumour I saw was that Osimhen is close to signing a two-year extension with Napoli. Take that info for what you will.

Martinelli - Jesus - Saka
Trossard - Nketiah - Nelson

Havertz-Odegaard-Rice
Lavia-ESR-Jorginho

Zinchenko-Gabriel-Saliba-White
Tomiyasu-Kiwior-Timber-Timber

Ramsdale
Turner

I love that team
Need a replacement for Nketiah, please grab Kudus at all costs if that means we don't get Kai.

Reactions: robertmac43

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So it sounds like Arsenal's shortlist involves Rice, Lavia, Havertz, and Timber. Havertz still sucks for the rumoured price, but you can't really choose three other better targets than those.

Not sure how devout he is, but he prays after he scores every goal.

The last rumour I saw was that Osimhen is close to signing a two-year extension with Napoli. Take that info for what you will.

Need a replacement for Nketiah, please grab Kudus at all costs if that means we don't get Kai.
You don't really need a replacement for Nketiah. He can do a job and we have other players (Martinelli, Trossard, Havertz) who could play up top. Also, I like Kudus, but I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he's more talented than Havertz. I think when judging Havertz, it is somewhat important to eradicate his last season from your mind (even though he led Chelsea in scoring)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You don't really need a replacement for Nketiah. He can do a job and we have other players (Martinelli, Trossard, Havertz) who could play up top.
I don't value him at all and Nelson was already a hundred times more productive in like 95% fewer minutes.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It is so funny because when I watched the NFL draft. When they interviewed the player after they were selected every single one of them started by thanking god. I thought it was a running gag at some point. Like every single interview of the players present at the draft, not one missed. I thought it was funny.

I don't follow the NFL anymore, but that draft used to always be good for a laugh and Felix would've fit right in as a lot of his Jesus-posts are stuff like this:

He did make a post that could be transphobic...commenting "if we don't see what's wrong with this..." to a video of a child coming out to their father...but it was also vague enough that he might have been commenting on the age of the child expressing trans-feelings, rather than the trans-experience itself and he's tried to make amends with the trans-community.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Can you please convince me regarding Havertz. I saw how we freed the Jesus, I want to believe, but I'd feel a lot better about it if it was at least a bargain basement signing

Getting Kai for 50+add-ons is a bargain. He's tall (1.93m), fast, skilled, versatile, and averages a goal-contribution every 84minutes for the NT. If he feels like he's believed in rather than just the latest shiny-new-toy, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he proved to be a clear upgrade to Jesus.

Or it could be living in London that makes him so miserable :dunno:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Getting Kai for 50+add-ons is a bargain. He's tall (1.93m), fast, skilled, versatile, and averages a goal-contribution every 84minutes for the NT. If he feels like he's believed in rather than just the latest shiny-new-toy, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he proved to be a clear upgrade to Jesus.

Or it could be living in London that makes him so miserable :dunno:
From everything we can tell, he likes London a lot

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
From everything we can tell, he likes London a lot

Oh I was just joking with that because I found London to be miserable the one time I visited and Kai just looks miserable in a Chelsea shirt. But judging by his desire to stay in London, it would be weird if he hated living there.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Oh I was just joking with that because I found London to be miserable the one time I visited and Kai just looks miserable in a Chelsea shirt. But judging by his desire to stay in London, it would be weird if he hated living there.

His desire is only to play for the mightiest ofc.

Reactions: Satan

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I agree. All of the “big” european cities I have been to bar Madrid have underwhelmed me.

• Wow
Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree. All of the “big” european cities I have been to bar Madrid have underwhelmed me.

I really enjoyed Amsterdam, Vienna, & Bratislava, while Venice & Padua were pretty...though I really hated just how openly sexist the people were in Italy...and I'm obviously biased towards Berlin.

Haven't been, but I've only heard good things about Prague & Sevilla.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021

If you’re looking for a nice experience then London isn’t exactly the place to go. Not at least between october-mars. It could be nice in the spring and summer. But i would never go there for the weather obviously. And the weather isn’t on my mind at all when i’m there.

Reactions: Peen

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I really enjoyed Amsterdam, Vienna, & Bratislava, while Venice & Padua were pretty...though I really hated just how openly sexist the people were in Italy...and I'm obviously biased towards Berlin.

I liked Sevilla a lot - just didn’t seem “big” to me. Had a blast there

I haven’t been into eastern or central europe.

Reactions: JPBolts and cgf

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Anyway, it seems like this Havertz to Arsenal thing will be finalized in the 60-65 MM £ range

I have most of the arsenal fans blocked so not sure if they are doing 180s on the mocking of havertz over the past few years.

I am disappointed. Chelsea have two 9s this season - seemingly with the soon to be acquired Jackson and Broja.

Poch has a history with Alli effectively acting as SS to Kane. Havertz looked really good against Dortmund with Mudryk operating ahead of him.

I understand why he’s leaving because he’s never had a consistent 11 around him in his time here outside of the first half of 2021 under Tuchel, manager changes and talent deficiencies, injuries to key players, but he can be great in a consistent environment.

I don’t think the finishing will ever get there and I do wonder about that if your two most frequent box players are Jesus and Havertz.

Reactions: King Makar19

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Anyway, it seems like this Havertz to Arsenal thing will be finalized in the 60-65 MM £ range

I have most of the arsenal fans blocked so not sure if they are doing 180s on the mocking of havertz over the past few years.

I am disappointed. Chelsea have two 9s this season - seemingly with the soon to be acquired Jackson and Broja.

Poch has a history with Alli effectively acting as SS to Kane. Havertz looked really good against Dortmund with Mudryk operating ahead of him.

I understand why he’s leaving because he’s never had a consistent 11 around him in his time here outside of the first half of 2021 under Tuchel, manager changes and talent deficiencies, injuries to key players, but he can be great in a consistent environment.

I don’t think the finishing will ever get there and I do wonder about that if your two most frequent box players are Jesus and Havertz.

From what i’ve read most of the Gooners aren’t exactly thrilled by this idea. I think most of us hope the deal doesn’t pull through but if it does it will mostly go down to just hoping he fits in better with us than at Chelsea. No confidence he will though.

Reactions: maclean

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I liked Sevilla a lot - just didn’t seem “big” to me. Had a blast there

I haven’t been into eastern or central europe.

That's fair. Bratislava isn't really a "big" city either, I just really enjoyed it. Vienna & Amsterdam are legit big cities though and I really enjoyed both.

Anyways, I think with Nkunku coming in to play off the striker, false-9 Kai actually could've worked for you better than it ever has before...as Nkunku is a better finisher than Timo but can make all of the same runs.

But I do wonder if there's just something broken with Kai's relationship with the club, given he looks so different for the NT...not just creating with more confidence but finishing MUCH better as well.

EDIT:
goal every 281.875 min for Chelsea vs one every 168.846 min for the NT.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Both are great. Then again, I like London.

I was underwhelmed by Berlin but I went in the middle of winter to do depressing stuff (Holocaust research), so I give it a pass.

Most disappointing city for me was Paris

Reactions: cgf

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
It's funny reading BVB fans arguing over whether Nmecha is too much of a jesus-freak for them to pursue. He's made some very religious comments, but compared to the bible-thumpers playing sports in the USA, the kid might as well be agnostic :laugh:
It is so funny because when I watched the NFL draft. When they interviewed the player after they were selected every single one of them started by thanking god. I thought it was a running gag at some point. Like every single interview of the players present at the draft, not one missed. I thought it was funny.
My favorite from recent memory was Mahomes thanking god for his ankle holding up in the AFC championship game and Super Bowl. Pretty sure it was the medical staff / trainers and all of the toradol / pain killers they were injecting into his body, not god.

How is that improved, it’s the same fee with more in add-ons lol

Would die laughing if City did pip Arsenal.
Could be more realistic add-on clauses in the latest offer (just speculating). Feel like us Arsenal fans went thru the ringer talking about this in regards to our Mudryk offer vs Chelsea's fee, but an unrealistic 15M vs a probable 15M in add-ons would be a pretty large difference.

Being surrounded by Saka, Martinelli, and Odegaard who all hit double digit goals this year helps alleviate that issue. It's definitely still a concern, but their skill sets fit the team/tactics better overall than a hypothetical world class finisher that can't dribble or create for the wingers.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Odegaard, Martinelli, and Saka still exist, though. I think Havertz's finishing will be better when he's asked to operate in a different role. He really only needs to replace Xhaka's goals, if that.

Reactions: KJS14

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Both are great. Then again, I like London.

I was underwhelmed by Berlin but I went in the middle of winter to do depressing stuff (Holocaust research), so I give it a pass.

Most disappointing city for me was Paris

I tease London, but haven't spent enough time there to have a real opinion on it. Just had a miserable few rainy days in London before enjoying the shit out of my time in Dundee and Edinburgh.

And yeah, Berlin does get a lot grittier in the colder months; especially if you're already there for grim reasons :laugh:

My favorite from recent memory was Mahomes thanking god for his ankle holding up in the AFC championship game and Super Bowl. Pretty sure it was the medical staff / trainers and all of the toradol / pain killers they were injecting into his body, not god.

TBF to Mahomes, god would make for a pretty good biologist...

Reactions: KJS14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad