Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Edition

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
While Ange has experience with both, I think the plan is for a back four. Will be interesting to see how that works out when the squad has offensive wingbacks like Porro and Udogie.

As for centre backs Romero is our only good one. Davies is decent in a back three. The others are all trash and should be replaced.

I just don't think they're going to bring in 3 new CB's and they shouldn't really. Even if they sell Dier, Sanchez and Roden they still have Davies like you said and Tanganga I think can get a Carter-Vickers like resurgence. So they have a 4th and 5th option possible 3rd or 4th. They really should put money in 1 top upgrade to play alongside Romero and not a few options. They don't have Europe so don't need as much depth. Get that one top guy and look for another option for January if you think you need more depth.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
They wouldn't buy Joselu if that meant not being able to afford Mbappe.
True, but Perez apparently told fans that there would be no more signings.

I mean, it is probably nothing. I would have said the same in his position. Undersell, over deliver :)

What I do not like is that he seemed to have put all his eggs in the Mbappé basket... for like the 4th time.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Neves already traded Porto for the Championship when he moved to Wolves, so he was always a mercenary. Jorge Mendes must laugh himself to sleep every night the money he makes off that Portugal/Wolves pipeline.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Atletico Madrid's France forward Antoine Griezmann, 32, says it is his dream to one day join a Major League Soccer club. (Goal)

Seems odd place to 'dream' to play football... experience living in the usa I suppose, but footballing experience?

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
They pay Chelsea the fee because otherwise Chelsea doesn't have to give them the player at all. They are under contract after all. For example if I heard they wanted Salah I would tell them to pay 300 million. Why? Well I know they have it.
But if the Saudis are aware that Chelsea have previously tried to offload both players just to get wages off the books, why would they offer a significant fee?

Salah would already command a sizable fee, and Liverpool aren't looking to sell, so an inflated fee would be logical. On the other hand, KK probably has negative value given his contract.

As for Neves the guy has always been a money hungry douchebag. He left Porto to go play in the Championship over money so this is one of the least surprising things ever. Don't worry your team might get something out of Pepe too even though he's worth near zero so I wouldn't be complaining yet.
Sure, Neves is chasing the money. That makes sense. The Saudis have to pay the players insane wages to go there, but in this one example so far they have not significantly overpaid the club for the transfer. Is it more likely that Wolves are bad negotiators or that there's more to the Chelsea transfers?

why did arsenal bail chelsea out of losing jorginho for free and give us 15 million

maybe boehly paid the kroenkes
Yeah, this is the same situation. You got me.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Gundogan to Barça seems to be picking up steam the past couple of days. Hopefully it's just paper talk.

I don't buy it and Newcastle are looking to give him a new contract, but I'd do that.

Real Madrid say they will announce the signing of Spain striker Joselu, 33, from Espanyol this week and rule out a move for Mbappe this summer. (Sport - in Spanish)

It's a loan too

Was going to add as @Vasilevskiy did that it's a loan.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Partey to Saudi Arabia 😂

CHEATERS
Selling players to Saudi =/= cheating. Getting highly inflated transfer fees for players of little to no value = strange. But you keep trying those false equivalencies and one day it may work out for you.

If the Saudis offer a ridiculous fee for Partey, then I'll eat my words. But he actually holds some value as a player unlike KK.

Reactions: luiginb

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Atletico Madrid's France forward Antoine Griezmann, 32, says it is his dream to one day join a Major League Soccer club. (Goal)

Seems odd place to 'dream' to play football... experience living in the usa I suppose, but footballing experience?
In 2021 he said he was considering leaving for MLS in 2024 after his Barca contract runs out, but then re-signed with Atletico till 2026.
Griezmann idolizes Becks, is a huge NBA fan and has traveled to USA almost every year so i think he really wants to relocate there, and playing there would just be a plus. Especially if he can play for Beckham’s team.

Reactions: LOGiK

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Selling players to Saudi =/= cheating. Getting highly inflated transfer fees for players of little to no value = strange. But you keep trying those false equivalencies and one day it may work out for you.

If the Saudis offer a ridiculous fee for Partey, then I'll eat my words. But he actually holds some value as a player unlike KK.
How much in transfer fees do you think Mendy, Koulibaly, and Ziyech should have returned? Like there’s no world where you think less than 45MM cumulatively is unfair, correct? I would have asked for 55 cumulatively.

Also the bolded is only accurate for Ziyech - and even then partially. They turned down bids similar to what they are now going to accept from the Saudis a year ago for Ziyech because the previously felt it was too low. Like are we going to act as if there wasn’t interest from italy, united for ziyech in the past year?

Mendy wasn’t on the market a year ago and Koulibaly only just joined? Also Mendy has clear interest from France (not for a loan) but he wanted absurd wages from Chelsea so there’s no chance he was getting it there. KK had reported interest from Bayern, Italy but no one there was probably willing to match the wages and only wanted a loan.

KK wasn’t even that bad the last months of the season. Feel free to check my post history on that. But he had to be sold to make room for Colwill if they are playing a back four.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, the players aren't completely worthless and while Chelsea are desperate to sell, Saudi is also desperate to buy, so it's not like they have a ton of leverage either. Unless they are paying truly stupid money like they have for Ronaldo, they are pretty much going to have to focus on the players that are Muslim, so teams that have those players have some leverage to get decent fees.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
How much in transfer fees do you think Mendy, Koulibaly, and Ziyech should have returned? Like there’s no world where you think less than 45MM cumulatively is unfair, correct? I would have asked for 55 cumulatively.

Also the bolded is only accurate for Ziyech - and even then partially. They turned down bids similar to what they are now going to accept from the Saudis a year ago for Ziyech because the previously felt it was too low. Like are we going to act as if there wasn’t interest from italy, united for ziyech in the past year?

Mendy wasn’t on the market a year ago and Koulibaly only just joined? Also Mendy has clear interest from France (not for a loan) but he wanted absurd wages from Chelsea so there’s no chance he was getting it there. KK had reported interest from Bayern, Italy but no one there was probably willing to match the wages and only wanted a loan.

KK wasn’t even that bad the last months of the season. Feel free to check my post history on that. But he had to be sold to make room for Colwill if they are playing a back four.
Again, you were the one that originally said "their wages were horrific so any European club probably would have wanted them for close to free." Amazing how that has now changed within a matter of 2 pages.

Do you have a single other example of a transfer fee being offered for any of these players?

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Again, you were the one that originally said "their wages were horrific so any European club probably would have wanted them for close to free." Amazing how that has now changed within a matter of 2 pages.

Do you have a single other example of a transfer fee being offered for any of these players?
Do you expect me to produce a link to a transfer fee offer for Koulibaly and Mendy where one was not on the market a year ago while the other was not a chelsea player a year ago?

Ziyech’s offers were all loans (Ajax, PSG) but I do believe United, Roma, and Milan at some points in 2022 were open to a fee. But Chelsea wanted 25-30MM last summer.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Do you expect me to produce a link to a transfer fee offer for Koulibaly and Mendy where one was not on the market a year ago while the other was not a chelsea player a year ago?

Ziyech’s offers were all loans (Ajax, PSG) but I do believe United, Roma, and Milan at some points in 2022 were open to a fee. But Chelsea wanted 25-30MM last summer.
What does last year have to do with it? All 3 players are currently being shopped by Chelsea and yet there hasn't been any other offers outside of loans. And that's because KK and Mendy hold little to no value, and other clubs would be hard pressed to even take on KK's wages.

Could I see Ziyech garnering a small (10-15M) fee? Sure, but KK and Mendy hold no value and Chelsea has no leverage if there aren't other offers.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
What does last year have to do with it? All 3 players are currently being shopped by Chelsea and yet there hasn't been any other offers outside of loans. And that's because KK and Mendy hold little to no value, and other clubs would be hard pressed to even take on KK's wages.

Could I see Ziyech garnering a small (10-15M) fee? Sure, but KK and Mendy hold no value and Chelsea has no leverage if there aren't other offers.
If you actually watched Chelsea over the past two years, you would think Ziyech is the worst of the bunch. He is an awful player with a poor attitude.

Koulibaly improved as the season went on and has better recent pedigree. His wages are a problem, though.

Mendy makes a pretty insignificant amount. He won the CL two years ago. Why would Mendy have zero value? Huh? Backups with a known name have moved for ~15MM £ for like a decade now.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

In 2021 he said he was considering leaving for MLS in 2024 after his Barca contract runs out, but then re-signed with Atletico till 2026.
Griezmann idolizes Becks, is a huge NBA fan and has traveled to USA almost every year so i think he really wants to relocate there, and playing there would just be a plus. Especially if he can play for Beckham’s team.

He obviously was overwhelmed with emotion at the prospect of playing with Riqui again.

Anyway, saw something last week where Griezmann has a really low release clause with Atleti.

Reactions: LOGiK

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
If you actually watched Chelsea over the past two years, you would think Ziyech is the worst of the bunch. He is an awful player with a poor attitude.

Koulibaly improved as the season went on and has better recent pedigree. His wages are a problem, though.

Mendy makes a pretty insignificant amount. He won the CL two years ago. Why would Mendy have zero value? Huh?
1) I don't think Ziyech is a good player, but his WC revived some of his value and he's probably the one that you can most argue its been a Chelsea fit issue just as much a player issue. He's also probably the biggest name draw of the 3 players. I wouldn't pay a fee for him, but a small fee isn't out of the ordinary to me.

2) Koulibaly is on 300k/pw wages. No one is paying a fee for that. You likely wouldn't even get a team to take on his full wage in a loan.

3) Mendy may have won a CL 2 years ago, but he played ~10 games this year sitting behind Kepa, and didn't have a particularly good season. His wages aren't too bad, but they probably rule him out for a good amount of the bottom half clubs in France/Italy, and top clubs are not going to be coming after him. Could he garner a small fee? Sure, but not close to contributing much to the rumored combined fee.

Better question -- why did you think these players had little to zero value just 2 pages ago?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Arsenal linked with Osimhen, Nico Willians, and Castagne today. Supposedly the Castagne rumour is getting stronger and stronger with a rumoured amount of around 15 million Euros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad