Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Edition

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Yep, that's why they have that idiotic cap in the NHL, to insure profits even for the stupid owners & franchises.

Would be much better if everyone would have to live by their decisions and be more responsible & careful with them.
If there was no salary cap big market teams (Toronto, Montreal, NY, etc) would just spend their way to success. You’d never see a Stanley Cup champion in Vegas or Carolina or Tampa. The NHL has been trying to grow the popularity of hockey in this country for decades and the salary cap and the draft have by and large been successful at doing that.

European football has no such need. Pretty much every one-horse town in Europe has a club competing at some level and everyone seems happy with that. And of course you have oil money and (until lately) Russian oligarchs pouring money into their clubs, which is something that wouldn’t fly very well in the US.

As someone who started watching hockey in the late ‘60s, I do think things are better when Toronto, Montreal, NYR, etc… are relevant but at this point I don’t think anyone really minds that they have to compete on a more or less even playing field. Same generally goes for the other leagues here, the salary cap and the draft have (for better or worse) made the NFL into the 8 million ton gorilla that it is today. And the owners are very happy with that.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
If there was no salary cap big market teams (Toronto, Montreal, NY, etc) would just spend their way to success. You’d never see a Stanley Cup champion in Vegas or Carolina or Tampa. The NHL has been trying to grow the popularity of hockey in this country for decades and the salary cap and the draft have by and large been successful at doing that.

European football has no such need. Pretty much every one-horse town in Europe has a club competing at some level and everyone seems happy with that. And of course you have oil money and (until lately) Russian oligarchs pouring money into their clubs, which is something that wouldn’t fly very well in the US.

As someone who started watching hockey in the late ‘60s, I do think things are better when Toronto, Montreal, NYR, etc… are relevant but at this point I don’t think anyone really minds that they have to compete on a more or less even playing field. Same generally goes for the other leagues here, the salary cap and the draft have (for better or worse) made the NFL into the 8 million ton gorilla that it is today. And the owners are very happy with that.
Tampa literally won the last pre-cap Cup…

Dallas won in 99…

Anaheim made the finals in ‘03…

Carolina made the finals in ‘02…

Colorado won in ‘96 and ‘01…

The notion that a capless league = big team hegemony defies, well, the basic historical record of events.

Reactions: gary69

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Dallas won in 99…

The notion that a capless league = big team hegemony defies, well, the basic historical record of events.
Ok, sorry. I over-stated the case but the principle still stands. Your comment of no cap not favoring big markets is just not true and it defies common sense. I mean look at how the Yankees operate. The Dodgers too. In the NBA you have the Lakers. These leagues have had ways to work around the cap, tax, etc... and the rich teams don't care. It really does matter.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
It's one thing to get Benz and Cristiano at the end of their careers.
Getting Neves, in his prime, where he could play for most top teams... That's something else entirely.

Reactions: luiginb

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Dallas won in 99…

Yea but Toronto had a well established history of dominating in the no cap era.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
More talk on Spurs selling Hojbjerg.
I'll say this, if Spurs are to sell a midfielder he's probably the one to sell. The club can get quite a bit for him, and there are better reasons to not sell the others. I just hope the club doesn't put too many resources on finding new midfielders over finding new defenders, which is a much higher priority.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I'll say this, if Spurs are to sell a midfielder he's probably the one to sell. The club can get quite a bit for him, and there are better reasons to not sell the others. I just hope the club doesn't put too many resources on finding new midfielders over finding new defenders, which is a much higher priority.
Why would you want to sell your best midfielder?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

He’s actually right

Yea but that takes time to build. Investing in academies to bring in younger foreigners and raising up your own players takes at least a decade to show real results, possibly even longer.

Instead they can throw around billions of dollars and try to hyper accelerate it. If the LIV situation is anything to go by, the goal is to end up translating that loss leader into some form of formal buyin to the actual profitable leagues/environments.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yea but that takes time to build. Investing in academies to bring in younger foreigners and raising up your own players takes at least a decade to show real results, possibly even longer.

Instead they can throw around billions of dollars and try to hyper accelerate it. If the LIV situation is anything to go by, the goal is to end up translating that loss leader into some form of formal buyin to the actual profitable leagues/environments.
I don’t think the end goal is to profit. But I’ve already stated my views on what MBS is doing so

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I can't wait to see what Chelsea is going to get for all their hot garbage. Hopefully they bail us too

What I'd be curious to see is if they really went in on a top young player from La Liga, like Vinicius. I doubt he gets his head turned, but say he did and Madrid referred them to the buyout clause. Would one of these Saudi clubs pay it? Sure, it's a billion or so, but they get the guy at such a young age and it's a bigger move than adding a 35+ Cristiano Ronaldo.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What I'd be curious to see is if they really went in on a top young player from La Liga, like Vinicius. I doubt he gets his head turned, but say he did and Madrid referred them to the buyout clause. Would one of these Saudi clubs pay it? Sure, it's a billion or so, but they get the guy at such a young age and it's a bigger move than adding a 35+ Cristiano Ronaldo.
I would pray they come after a Barca player for that price lol. Never gonna happen though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad