Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Spurs talking with Wolves over Max Kilman, started in National League and is now in demand.

Since his father was born in Ukraine, he wanted to play for their national team, but UEFA ruled since Kilman played 25 matches for England's National Futsol team up until 18, he was tied to England for football as well.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I’m not sure what Chelsea’s new football operations staff is doing.

Third time publicly that they’ve made a verbal agreement only to adjust terms.

They slashed their personal terms to 40% of what PSG are offering Ugarte and now it seems unlikely he comes here.

Kovacic is moving to City

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Spurs talking with Wolves over Max Kilman, started in National League and is now in demand.

Since his father was born in Ukraine, he wanted to play for their national team, but UEFA ruled since Kilman played 25 matches for England's National Futsol team up until 18, he was tied to England for football as well.
I was very high on Kilman last season. Seems to have tapered off a bit now.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
LFC linked with Mickey van de Ven from Wolfsburg. That’s a Schmadtke guy. Fills a role. Tall and fast but bad in the air. Feels very back three LCB signing

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Supposedly Klopp buying 3 mids, 1 CB and one fullback this summer. It's a miracle they're actually going to buy the right amount of players.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Effectively that would be 4 midfielders.

Alexis, Kone? Thuram? Trent... who would be benched?

Joyta/Diaz/Gakpo- Diaz-Salah
Alexis-Kone/Trent
Thuram/Trent?
We don't have that many CMs on the books either. And most of the ones we do have are injury prone. They'll probably just keep Trent at RB but I wouldn't do that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is Kone that good?

I have never fully watched him as I don't have access to the bundesliga but a lot of people that did watch him are questioning his football IQ and vision. Maybe a similar case to Ndombele? Look great on football highlights with all his technical abilities but poor on a whole game with bad decisions or poor turnovers?

What do you think?

Weird critique, I guess compared to Bellingham he isn't as clever in the opposing box...but nah Kone is an excellent young 8. He's a kid, so he makes some mistakes from time to time and can be overly aggressive, but he has good vision and is very clever.

Reactions: luiginb

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I’m not sure what Chelsea’s new football operations staff is doing.

Third time publicly that they’ve made a verbal agreement only to adjust terms.

They slashed their personal terms to 40% of what PSG are offering Ugarte and now it seems unlikely he comes here.

Kovacic is moving to City
I don't think they are sure what they are doing either.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Weird critique, I guess compared to Bellingham he isn't as clever in the opposing box...but nah Kone is an excellent young 8. He's a kid, so he makes some mistakes from time to time and can be overly aggressive, but he has good vision and is very clever.
Club is only willing to put up Kone-type money and then upset he's not a Bellingham. :laugh:

As you say, Kone is a fine player and could do really well in a Klopp set-up. Also Gladbach were mostly a steaming pile this year and I'm not sure anybody looked all that great overall for them.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Club is only willing to put up Kone-type money and then upset he's not a Bellingham. :laugh:

As you say, Kone is a fine player and could do really well in a Klopp set-up. Also Gladbach were mostly a steaming pile this year and I'm not sure anybody looked all that great overall for them.
Never claimed he was Bellingham nor I expect him to be...
I was mentionning his vision and ability to process the play. I mean if we compare a similar player at a similar position like Caicedo, he is very apt to operate from midfield because of his smart positioning, quick passing and dribbling in small pocket of space. Could Kone do that? As I said, I have no access to bundesliga I just want an honest opinion.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Never claimed he was Bellingham nor I expect him to be...
I was mentionning his vision and ability to process the play. I mean if we compare a similar player at a similar position like Caicedo, he is very apt to operate from midfield because of his smart positioning, quick passing and dribbling in small pocket of space. Could Kone do that? As I said, I have no access to bundesliga I just want an honest opinion.
Kone's a better and more willing dribbler than most central midfielders, including Caicedo. Don't know about vision though.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Kovacic will be scary under Pep.
From gundogan to kovacic damn
Downgrade

I don't think they are sure what they are doing either.
They are throwing poop on the wall and seeing what sticks. But that’s what has worked for them in the past too

Kone's a better and more willing dribbler than most central midfielders, including Caicedo. Don't know about vision though.
I don’t think these players are particularly similar.

Effectively that would be 4 midfielders.

Alexis, Kone? Thuram? Trent... who would be benched?

Joyta/Diaz/Gakpo- Diaz-Salah
Alexis-Kone/Trent
Thuram/Trent?
I think there will be some rotation, but I also think Trent still lines up at “right back”. I think they all COULD play together, but I’m not sure they SHOULD all play together

Hypothetically maybe you run

Gakpo
Diaz Thuram Alexis Salah
Kone Trent

Kone played in the double six at BMG so maybe he start a little deeper and and is there to get the ball and progress is upwards on his feet.

I still think it’s sorely lacking someone to run backwards and snuff out counter attacks but the possession and ball carrying are significantly better in this kind of set up. Maybe Jones initially starts over Kone or Thuram as well? Who knows.

If LFC pull this off they’ve upgraded the talent , they’ve gotten bigger and more athletic which they needed; but I’m still wondering if they’ve improved where they were tactically weakest

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah he doesn't really have great passing vision but his dribbling vision is off the charts good. He runs through players like they aren't even there (including against Bayern).

This. He may not be the passer that Mo was, but he's stronger and just as crafty a dribbler. Watching him weave his way out of trouble can be a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad