OT: 2023 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I would have Belgium currently in the late teens instead of 2nd. A side that has been brutally overrated since 2014. Their performance recently hasn't been up to par (losing to Egypt). KDB was JT Miller-like which was very unusual. He's usually clinical.

I still think Croatia is the toughest task for the Canadian NT. Their backline is good and Modric looked in peak form earlier.

Canada played well but their execution was brutal. Just making the worst possible decisions whenever they were in the box. Any other team would have put up 3-4 with the chances they had.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
My thought coming into the tournament was that Belgium was a fraud team and we needed a result here if we wanted to actually make it out

Not getting that result there cooks us. Croatia will control against us. At least now I can watch without caring.

Reactions: vancityluongo

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Imagine if VAR and the assistant ref cost England 2 pens?

No wonder this guy is a pundit not reffing the game.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The right call was made on both non-calls

It shouldn’t have been offside, Johnston should have got a red, and the added time was a farce.
Yeah, I have no issues with the missed penalty. Maybe it's a foul if it occurs on the open field but refs are usually lenient on contested balls in the box. TSN is going to make a big deal out of a nothing play.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The right call was made on both non-calls

It shouldn’t have been offside, Johnston should have got a red, and the added time was a farce.
Why should Johnston have seen red. It was a yellow card.

He wasn’t last man. He made an attempt at the ball.

I disagree especially on Laryea’s foul….h can put his foot wherever he wants. He got stepped on.

It was a foul 3 times when the same thing happened to hazard but it wasn’t in the box. It’s a skill to trick your opponent into contact. Hazard is elite at it.

On the faux offside, your follow through matters. You can’t step on someone’s ankle even if your toe touches the ball.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Why should Johnston have seen red. It was a yellow card.

He wasn’t last man. He made an attempt at the ball.

I disagree especially on Laryea’s foul….h can put his foot wherever he wants. He got stepped on.

It was a foul 3 times when the same thing happened to hazard but it wasn’t in the box. It’s a skill to trick your opponent into contact. Hazard is elite at it.

On the faux offside, your follow through matters. You can’t step on someone’s ankle even if your toe touches the ball.
A scissor from behind is a red. At worst, it's halfway between a yellow and a red.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I have watched every World Cup religiously since 1994.

I’ve never felt invested. It’s a weird and fun feeling to actually care about the results. I sweated through my shirt by 20 minute mark.

It’ll have to be a different set up against Croatia. Im still hopeful.

Reactions: Red and Nomobo

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A crushingly disappointing result, as Canada was the better side on the day. But you just knew that blown penalty kick would end up being a killer.

I can understand why Davies wanted to take it, as Canada's most accomplished international player. But with the benefit of hindsight, it should have been someone like David or even Buchanan who are clinical finishers. Really kind of lame effort by Davies, and was the difference in the game.

Instead of Belgium chasing the game, it was Canada after they surrendered the only goal against the run of the play late in the first half. So 30 years between appearances, and Canada is still scoreless.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
No chance Johnston should have seen red. Yellow everyday of the week.

No sympathy for the 2 non penalty calls. Especially when Laryea looks like he dove.

Canada got a pen. Early. And flat out blew it.

That’s on Herdman. Davies should be nowhere near it. David (who did not have a great game), Buchanan or at the very least, Atiba.

That was the “TSN turning point”. It happens so often in sports. Need to take advantage when you can.

Boys played fantastic. Unfortunately it’s a tough lesson to learn.

Hopefully some jitters are out of the way, they are much calmer in their chances upfront and get a result next game.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Just finished watching the game.

-Can’t have a penalty where the ball is like a metre inside the post.

-I thought Belgium’s backs were very strong, especially during the first 15 minutes here Canada dominated. Did a very good job of not getting off clean shots. Any missed marking and it would be 2 or 3 nil Canada early.

-On the Batshuayi goal. It looks like Miller and the back end were pushing Batshuayi offside, but then he runs back and puts Batshuayi onside with a lot of space to receive the ball there. long ball. Not just on Miller though. Needed better communication and Vitoria or Johnston had to push upfield as well.

-I feel for Miller though. I played a lot of fullback and know mistakes by keepers and backs are a lot likelier to end up in the net.I thought he played a really strong game outside of the Belgium goal. Made a great dive to intercept the ball after Davies forces a pass into two defenders that leads to a counter rush.

-Canada’s best chance in the game was the header by I think David in the second half where Courtois made a diving save.

Overall, great effort though

Reactions: Red

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I'm very proud of our performance and I got emotional listening to our anthem for the first time in my life at a World Cup. We played brave and we played positive football. Sadly, I think the missed pen will haunt us for this tournament, but to me, this is more about getting experience for '26. I'm hopeful we can get some kind of result in our last two games.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I didn't expect anything out of this World Cup, but still disappointed after the loss. That was a great effort against a very good team.

I like Davies more at wing back than forward. Let's him use his biggest strengths which are transitioning the ball up the field and running back to stop counters. He was pretty ineffective when moved up, but that might be the lack of fitness after returning from injury.

Eustaquio was fantastic. I expected Belgium to dominate the midfield, but Eustaquio more than held his own against world class opponents. De Bruyne having an off day certainly helped.

Laryea desperately needs a transfer. Unbelievable that Nottingham wouldn't play him in the Championship. So much energy going forward and back and created most of our chances. One of the best players on the field.

The back line made some great tackles to limit Belgium's attack, but the goal against was pretty awful.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If that contact on Ronaldo is a pen, Canada was definitely robbed of at least one more.

Reactions: Red

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
If that contact on Ronaldo is a pen, Canada was definitely robbed of at least one more.
Soft call.

Ronaldo was always going to given a chance from the spot. This always happens in these rigged tournaments, especially led by sheik CR7 fanboys.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That was Larin, but yeah I half-screamed as the ball came to him but he needed a bit better placement or force. That was the moment.
I thought the Buchanan miss was the best chance. Certainly an easier chance to put on target than that Larin header.

Reactions: MS and Red

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
That was Larin, but yeah I half-screamed as the ball came to him but he needed a bit better placement or force. That was the moment.

My bad. My neighbors creaky gate kept me up almost all night and I watched the game after work. I was lucky if I remembered my name.

Anyways. Belgium really only had 1 grade A chance all game and they capitalized on it. We missed on our best chances.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
So when you don't have cable what's the optimal legal way to watch Canada's games from a desktop?
Buy a small external antenna from wal mart for 15 bucks

You’ll get 16 Chanel’s if you live in Vancouver including ctv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad