HF Habs: 2023 Roster, Schedule & Standings Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Not sure if you're joking or not but if we get Carlsson and Bedard, you don't trade for Dubois or give a guy like Couturier money. If by some miracle you can keep that top 6, you use the money for defense help and goaltending since your bottom 6 will essentially need to all be ELCs.

Dubois will be a UFA....
It will take 3 years for Carlsson and Bedard to earn more than 3m a year. 2 for Slaf. That creates a lot of space in the short term.

Anderson, Dvorak, Drouin, Dada = 20+ millions plus. There is a time for Dubois/Couturier during the ELC period.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Dubois will be a UFA....
It will take 3 years for Carlsson and Bedard to earn more than 3m a year. 2 for Slaf. That creates a lot of space in the short term.

Anderson, Dvorak, Drouin, Dada = 20+ millions plus. There is a time for Dubois/Couturier during the ELC period.
Dubois will command around 8 million at this rate. CC will likely get the same too. With Suzuki that's 3 players making around 8 million, then you got to save the cap for the 3 top 3 players which you'll be fortunate if you sign them at 25 million combined. Overall, nearly 50 million for the top 6 alone AND another 8 million for Couturier like how your lineup is suggesting. Plus Dach extension by the time Bedard/Fantilli/Slaf get their big contracts. 58 million for 7 players is impossible.

Unless of course you are talking about a one year push next year which still wouldn't be wise considering how poor the defense and goaltending is.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Yes, Button had him 5th. He may slip more than 5. Hard to guess. Not many fans talking about his weight at 148 lbs (Elite Prospects).

I'm curious, when was the last guy drafted in the top 5 who weighed less than 150 lbs? Fans talking about the Russian factor and KHL contract but his size is something to evaluate as well.

I googled it again and is he at 159 now? Still on the light side IMO for top 5 standards. I think he is but he better be elite at both skating and skill.
I'm gonna guess with Patrick Kane. Dude was so tiny when he was drafted. Just looked it up, he was 5'9; 160 lbs

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Yes, Button had him 5th. He may slip more than 5. Hard to guess. Not many fans talking about his weight at 148 lbs (Elite Prospects).

I'm curious, when was the last guy drafted in the top 5 who weighed less than 150 lbs? Fans talking about the Russian factor and KHL contract but his size is something to evaluate as well.

I googled it again and is he at 159 now? Still on the light side IMO for top 5 standards. I think he is but he better be elite at both skating and skill.
He for sure weight more than 148 right now, they adjusted his height but not weight yet.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Dubois will command around 8 million at this rate. CC will likely get the same too. With Suzuki that's 3 players making around 8 million, then you got to save the cap for the 3 top 3 players which you'll be fortunate if you sign them at 25 million combined. Overall, nearly 50 million for the top 6 alone AND another 8 million for Couturier like how your lineup is suggesting. Plus Dach extension by the time Bedard/Fantilli/Slaf get their big contracts. 58 million for 7 players is impossible.

Unless of course you are talking about a one year push next year which still wouldn't be wise considering how poor the defense and goaltending is.
You are just passing by the 2 years I am talking about. I'm talking about a 2 years push after next year.

Caufield (9) - Suz (8) - Dach (3) + 20
Slaf (3) - Carlsson (3) - Bedard (3) +9
Dubois (9) - Couturier (9) - Mesar (1) + 19
Rohrer (1) - Beck (1) - Jackeye (1.5m) + 4

52/90 (58%)

After those 2 years.

Caufield (9) - Carlsson (9)- Bedard (10) + 28
Slaf (8) - Suz (8) - Dach (6) +22
Rohrer (2) - Beck (2) - Mesar (3) + 6
Roy (1) - Kidney (1) - Jackeye (1.5m) + 4
(more prospects)

60 / 100 (60%) <== when Bjarnarson/next goalie takes control, so your D budget doesn't change.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Agreed. I would not see a problem. By the time Bedard exits his 3 year ELC, Gallagher has 1 year left. You won't need cap space in those 3 seasons.

A buyout out on Gallagher with one year left is a $3.8M cap hit for 26/27 and $1.3M cap hit for 27/28. Manageable but hard to predict what the cap will be then, what our overall cap structure looks like, and also what Bedard does in his 1st 3 years and what his contract after that would look like.

At that stage, we would likely be a contender and if you had to trade a 1st with Gallagher to unload him, you can do that too.... if you run into cap issues.

After Caufield is signed, who is the next guy to get a big contract? Dubois? Slaf? Dach? I think the guys on D are bridged and the prospects we have at forward right now will also be bridged after their ELC.
I don't think they bridge Guhle. After next season, I expect an 7-8 year deal. I think you trade Gallagher in 2024 summer and unfortunately lose that trade to get rid of the contract. Many here are overlooking a possible signing in 2024 and that's a goaltender. HuGo will definitely want as much cap space as possible to make an offer to someone like Sorokin

Chicago should've lost their 1st rounder in 2023 for the Kyle Beach situation. Those bastards don't deserve another franchise talent.
Slap on the wrist for an Original Six

Didnt mean for it to rhyme but I'll take it

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
My god….

Slafkovsky - Bedard - Mitchkov
Dach - Suzuki - Caufield

That’s insanity…

I would maybe trade that 3rd overall for a young stud on D. I can even really think of anyone right now but someone in Like Hughes level. Not him specifically but something like that

Lots of options open up with having 1st and 3rd.

Reactions: jaffy27

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I’m sure HF servers can handle that with ease…… :sarcasm:

Yeah I'm not counting on it but damn if there's a year to be lucky it's this one... (just Fantilli would be peach)

I see other fanbases dismissing Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Slaf, etc but that young Habs core strike me as bunch of gamers, players that will show up in the playoffs. We need one good draft to help captain Nick raise that cup and bring it back home !

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
HYPOTHETICALLY, let’s say we get 1st and 3rd like the previous poster said, would you do:

(Assuming We pick Bedard with #1)

1) 3rd overall pick to NJ for Simon Nemec and NJ 1st round pick 2023 (NJ selects Mitchkov)

Or

2) 3rd overall pick to DET for Simon Edvinsson and DET 1st round pick 2023 (Detroit drafts a centre either Fantilli or Carlsson)

Then, take FLA’s 1st (around 16th) with either NJ or Detroits 1st to move back into top 10. Obviously the Detroit and NJ picks will have different value so the trade may need some extra picks around it.

We would come out with Bedard, pick #9 or 10, one of Edvinsson/Nemec

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
HYPOTHETICALLY, let’s say we get 1st and 3rd like the previous poster said, would you do:

(Assuming We pick Bedard with #1)

1) 3rd overall pick to NJ for Simon Nemec and NJ 1st round pick 2023 (NJ selects Mitchkov)

Or

2) 3rd overall pick to DET for Simon Edvinsson and DET 1st round pick 2023 (Detroit drafts a centre either Fantilli or Carlsson)

Neither we keep the pick.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I would agree with that but I think based on the Russian narrative and KHL contract, he goes 3-5 range. Fantilli will go 2nd baring any collapse in his momentum.

Michkov is very gifted as well. 5'-10" and 148 lbs though. That's light! Very light. He's 2" taller than Hutson at the same weight. 148 lbs is what I can see on Elite Prospects but wondering if his weight is out of date?

There is a fair chance Michkov slips to 5. Russian factor, KHL factor, Size/Weight.
I will also add, if he is allowed to speak with NHL GM before draft? Will he even be there in draft day? Very hard to say what is going to happen with him.

GM will also need to know if he want to come to the NHL after his contract end or stay in Russia for another extra 2 years...

I'm also sure the 148 Ibs is before the war. He must be around 170 Ibs(2022) right now. Are scout even allowed to visit Russia to watch game?

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I've been having a lot of big jumps in mine too. Vancouver jumped 10 spots and won 3 times. Washington moved up to 4th. Blues/Florida both jumped. Ottawa won twice .... :eek:
Washington moving up to 4th and drafting Michkov will be a epic story. I can see Ovechkin giving the torchlight to Michkov as his successor.

1671254563814.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad