Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VII - White Sox clean out the front office

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
4.5 out with about a month to go. With the GM checking his playoff probability percentages I am wondering if they would make a decision on shutting Bello down at some point. What's the point in waiting until you are mathematically eliminated? Play the percentages, give the kid some rest to protect him.

Phillies 72-58, comfortably in the playoffs. Wonder if they can make another run!
Probably a little too early to talk about shutting Bello down. Give it another two or three weeks, and if they're still four or five games out, I think it becomes a serious possibility.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
To ownership, that was the biggest part, which is criminal. They used their best asset to dump a salary of a complete turd that they went out of their way to sign, despite him not wanting to come here and not being the kind of player that thrives in this kind of high pressure environment.

How might you know that?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
How might you know that?
Because they mentioned how they were up against the luxury cap and facing future penalties if they didn’t get below that threshold as a big reason why they had to move out players when that was happening? I’m not sure how this is a bone of contention for you given the team said it multiple times.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
4.5 out with about a month to go. With the GM checking his playoff probability percentages I am wondering if they would make a decision on shutting Bello down at some point. What's the point in waiting until you are mathematically eliminated? Play the percentages, give the kid some rest to protect him.

Phillies 72-58, comfortably in the playoffs. Wonder if they can make another run!

Like the Nationals did with Strasburg early in his injury plauged career?

Don't see any reason to shutdown Bello. He's a major league pitcher, has to play a major league schedule.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Because they mentioned how they were up against the luxury cap and facing future penalties if they didn’t get below that threshold as a big reason why they had to move out players when that was happening? I’m not sure how this is a bone of contention for you given the team said it multiple times.

Not a bone of cotention at all. Just a simple question.

Doesn't mean they had to trade Betts to accomplish that goal.

Though the combination of Betts and Price leaving in one transaction went a long way to getting below the threshold.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Like the Nationals did with Strasburg early in his injury plauged career?

Don't see any reason to shutdown Bello. He's a major league pitcher, has to play a major league schedule.

ya lets get him a career high in innings for a 4th place team. what happened to the saving pen argument you made yesterday. what a 180

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
ya lets get him a careet high in innings for a 4th place team
Basically why I am expecting them to do it. Just curious what point the GM would officially throw in the towel because they are not making up this 4.5 game deficit. They haven't shown an ability to rattle off a lengthy hot streak to climb back into it.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I think you're going to be disappointed if you think the Red Sox are going to fire Chaim Bloom this winter.

Agreed. Next year will be the last year of his deal I believe. If he doesn't deliver, then he could be gone. But he'll be here for another season for better or for worse.

Reactions: rfournier103

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I think you're going to be disappointed if you think the Red Sox are going to fire Chaim Bloom this winter.
We can hope John Henry wakes up from his coma. But as long as visiting fans are providing the demand for tickets, Sweet Caroline baby.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
We can hope John Henry wakes up from his coma. But as long as visiting fans are providing the demand for tickets, Sweet Caroline baby.
Its not like Dodger fans were buying tickets from the Red Sox. Almost all of those tickets the team had already sold to outlets or season ticket holders.

Red Sox see ticket sales increase year-over-year​

Red Sox President & CEO Sam Kennedy said that ticket sales are "up 4.5% from this time last year," adding that "approximately 1.5 million tickets have been sold." It is a "bit of a surprise" that the year-over-year sales have increased, as "a lot more excitement existed about the Red Sox before the 2022 season" after coming off a 2021 ALCS appearance. Kennedy was asked if the Red Sox have "determined what accounts for the increase" after a 78-84 season and a last-place finish in 2022, but he "didn’t pinpoint a specific reason that accounts for it" (MASSLIVE, 2/20).

That was from February, but the point is at that point the Sox were selling more tickets than the prvious season.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
why delay the inevitable. sox will look to reset and they will mutually part ways with bloom for PR purposes
I would think that most Sox fans would view 2023 as an improvement over 2022.

Generally, you look to "reset" when things are headed in the wrong direction, no?

And if the team is continuing to improve at both the major league and minor league levels, why does there need to be a PR firing?

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Hope some time soon we're able to keep the same thread title but change "White" to "Red".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad