Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VII - White Sox clean out the front office

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
After Shohei was shut down, things can't get worse for the Angels, right?

WRONG - Mike Trout back on the IL two days after being activated

That franchise seriously needs an exorcism

It starts with Artie Moreno being shown the exit stage left sign and the Angels getting an owner who lets the people in the front office do their job in building a proper baseball team.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
It starts with Artie Moreno being shown the exit stage left sign and the Angels getting an owner who lets the people in the front office do their job in building a proper baseball team.
I thought he announced that he was going to sell the team last year?

...or did I imagine that?

And speaking of dysfunctional franchises with owners that should sell, it's time for Jerry Reinsdorf to move on to greener pastures on the South Side of Chicago.

Reactions: DKH

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

And speaking of dysfunctional franchises with owners that should sell, it's time for Jerry Reinsdorf to move on to greener pastures on the South Side of Chicago.

The huckster had a "change of heart" and isn't going to sell the team.

Also, if things go a certain way...Reinsdorf AND the White Sox may be moving on to greener pastures. Reports are Reisndorf wants to use a new stadium to replace New Comiskey Field or he's pulling up stakes and relocating the White Sox to Nashville.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

He played the field for a couple months, didn't get bids he liked so he pulled back and announced he's keeping the team.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
For those who don't know...here's the breakdown by the Tennessean on Reinsdorf's recent gambit for a new stadium in the South Side or a move to Nashville.

1692933144272.png

He played the field for a couple months, didn't get bids he liked so he pulled back and announced he's keeping the team.

I feel so bad for Shohei, Trout, Giolito, and the fans of Anaheim having to be saddled with this Jerry Jones wannabe. This guy is absolute scum and the Angels would be better served if he got curb checked by Manfred.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Good. I don't want to see his return anyway. Already tired of his bullshit about how he wanted to stay here. Yeah, he wanted to stay here, but only if they gave him more than Trout.

He's proven to be worth that kind of money, especially since Trout has been limited by injuries and Mookie is playing pretty much a full 162 at elite levels of production in multiple positions on the diamond. The Dodgers, thanks to COVID, got a steal and the Red Sox should be embarrassed for allowing him leave for essentially nothing because of the fact that they had to dump Price's contract.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Mookie on a podcast this week says Red Sox offered $350 for 10 he stays when asked

WEEI said they offered $300 for 10 years

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Meh.

If you don't want your friends to be traded, play well enough where the GM's "buy or sell" decision at the deadline is an easy one.
It's not about what all the players think. But I would certainly value the actual good players and the fact they want to win. It's not the good players' fault when the GM saddles them with a mediocre team. It's kinda absurd to not understand players being upset.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
When you have an .866 OPS on July 1st and you proceed to post a .786 OPS in the month leading up to the deadline while your team falls out of contention, you don't get to absolve yourself of any responsibility.

Reactions: CDJ

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Keep waving the Chaim pom poms...it's not like players have the ability to make trades/acquisitions. If you're judging their ability to be upset about trade deadline activity because of one month (completely arbitrary period of any season) of an OPS dip I really have no idea what we're doing here. It's just such a bizarre way to look at what a GM can/cannot be blamed for while explaining away why players can't be upset.

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
When you have an .866 OPS on July 1st and you proceed to post a .786 OPS in the month leading up to the deadline while your team falls out of contention, you don't get to absolve yourself of any responsibility.

is this a joke ? you do realize JD Martinez and Bogaerts aren't exactly in the middle of lineup anymore so he will see less pitches to hit.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
is this a joke ? you do realize JD Martinez and Bogaerts aren't exactly in the middle of lineup anymore so he will see less pitches to hit.
I think you misunderstood.

I was talking about the way Bogaerts expressed disappointment that Christian Vasquez was traded at last year's deadline.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Keep waving the Chaim pom poms...it's not like players have the ability to make trades/acquisitions. If you're judging their ability to be upset about trade deadline activity because of one month (completely arbitrary period of any season) of an OPS dip I really have no idea what we're doing here. It's just such a bizarre way to look at what a GM can/cannot be blamed for while explaining away why players can't be upset.
I don't think it's bizarre at all. And it certainly doesn't have anything to do with defending Bloom or trying to shield him from blame.

They were 10-18 in the month leading up to the deadline. If they were 18-10, Vazquez probably doesn't get traded. Is the fact that they were 10-18 entirely Bogaerts' fault? No. Was he a key part of the team and therefore partially to blame for the 10-18 record? Yes.

Mediocre teams that are playing poorly at the trade deadline sometimes trade away established big league players. It's part of the business. Bogaerts has been around for long enough to understand that. I like Xander and I understand that he reacted emotionally to a friend being traded, but I didn't really care for his "why are we trading guys away" act.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I don't think it's bizarre at all. And it certainly doesn't have anything to do with defending Bloom or trying to shield him from blame.

They were 10-18 in the month leading up to the deadline. If they were 18-10, Vazquez probably doesn't get traded. Is the fact that they were 10-18 entirely Bogaerts' fault? No. Was he a key part of the team and therefore partially to blame for the 10-18 record? Yes.

Mediocre teams that are playing poorly at the trade deadline sometimes trade away established big league players. It's part of the business. Bogaerts has been around for long enough to understand that. I like Xander and I understand that he reacted emotionally to a friend being traded, but I didn't really care for his "why are we trading guys away" act.
I will take this attidtude over a player act of "we suck so why bother, trade us away."

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I will take this attidtude over a player act of "we suck so why bother, trade us away."
Ya it just doesn't compute to me. I cannot comprehend ever coming to a conclusion that I don't like a prominent veteran player being critical of trading away pieces. Sure, the GM can do whatever the hell he wants if he thinks it's in the best interest of the organization long-term. But someone like Xander Bogaerts (who probably knew he wasn't gonna be here long-term) should never be expected to bend over and take it like that. It's a natural reaction/commentary from a veteran guy who wants to win. An arbitrary slump at the pate doesn't change that.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Can’t believe how bad Padres are

Kim 6.2 WAR highest on team and more than Bogearts & Mercado combined

Soto regressed - be interesting to see what his next contract looks like - gotta think he cost himself a lot of money

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I would argue this years lineup in better than last season's with Martinez and Bogaerts.
Turner and Duvall are both much better at knocking in runs and impacting winning than they were last season, that’s for sure

Bogaerts continues to be among the worst in the league at “win probability added” with his at-bats- meaning he’s been unclutch for the 4th straight season…some would call that a trend if they believe in things such as clutchness. Sox fans have seen Papi so we tend to believe in it.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Turner and Duvall are both much better at knocking in runs and impacting winning than they were last season, that’s for sure

Bogaerts continues to be among the worst in the league at “win probability added” with his at-bats- meaning he’s been unclutch for the 4th straight season…some would call that a trend if they believe in things such as clutchness. Sox fans have seen Papi so we tend to believe in it.
The logical side of me wants to think that "clutchness" doesn't exist and is all just random variance over small sample sizes. But when it's 4 years in a row with that stat and with different teams and different surrounding casts, there's got to be something to it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sox coming off 2 big wins in Houston against team they are chasing, still in contention. Playing at home against the Dodgers tonight, yet not really any Sox talk here.

Duvall heroics, Abrea up and looking sensational, Reyes and Urias stabilizing the middle infield. All nice Chaim pickups.

Where is Red Sox nation?

Reactions: Walkenthewalk

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Ya it just doesn't compute to me. I cannot comprehend ever coming to a conclusion that I don't like a prominent veteran player being critical of trading away pieces. Sure, the GM can do whatever the hell he wants if he thinks it's in the best interest of the organization long-term. But someone like Xander Bogaerts (who probably knew he wasn't gonna be here long-term) should never be expected to bend over and take it like that. It's a natural reaction/commentary from a veteran guy who wants to win. An arbitrary slump at the pate doesn't change that.
Under certain circumstances, I think it's OK for a veteran player to be critical of trading away pieces.

I think it's fairly ridiculous for a veteran player to ask why the team is trading pieces away after they go 10-18 in the month prior to the deadline, because the answer to the question is painfully obvious. The results on the field gave the front office adequate reason to doubt the team's ceiling.

"Bend over and take it" implies that Bogaerts had no part in that 10-18 record. Again, if you don't want to see your buddy traded to Houston, don't go 10-18 and give the front office a good enough excuse to sell.

And this doesn't even touch on his callous "we traded two guys and didn't get anyone back" nonsense, which is hardly the kind of welcome you'd want a team leader to give Reese McGuire.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Sox coming off 2 big wins in Houston against team they are chasing, still in contention. Playing at home against the Dodgers tonight, yet not really any Sox talk here.

Duvall heroics, Abrea up and looking sensational, Reyes and Urias stabilizing the middle infield. All nice Chaim pickups.

Where is Red Sox nation?

Listening to Felger and Mazz being miserable.

I'm still here. I'm not going anywhere

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Under certain circumstances, I think it's OK for a veteran player to be critical of trading away pieces.

I think it's fairly ridiculous for a veteran player to ask why the team is trading pieces away after they go 10-18 in the month prior to the deadline, because the answer to the question is painfully obvious. The results on the field gave the front office adequate reason to doubt the team's ceiling.

"Bend over and take it" implies that Bogaerts had no part in that 10-18 record. Again, if you don't want to see your buddy traded to Houston, don't go 10-18 and give the front office a good enough excuse to sell.

And this doesn't even touch on his callous "we traded two guys and didn't get anyone back" nonsense, which is hardly the kind of welcome you'd want a team leader to give Reese McGuire.
I don't understand why you are so hung up on this 10-18 arbitrary sample. It's one part of the season. Every team goes through bad stretches and they don't all happen at the same time. It's not like they were 8 games under .500 at the time. It's a nice cover for the GM though. The team he assembled wasn't very good and needed help but the excuse is the players lost games so it's their fault? He assembled the team! They lost games because of the GM. That is the whole point in having no problem with actual good baseball players be upset about it. Players who deserved better. And I will not blame Bogaerts for not being excited over Reese McGuire. JFC. I am sure they got along just fine. That doesn't mean he has to throw down rose petals for the guy.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad