Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VII - White Sox clean out the front office

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Ah here we go with the Mookie bashing

I don't begrudge any professional athlete getting as much money as he wants. I've been consistent on this for years. I also don't fault any guy that wants out of Boston for whatever reason (a feeling I've developed with age).

My issue is Mookie claiming he wanted to stay when he either a) didn't or b) only did if they gave him an absurd contract.

My only issue with him is the obvious bullshit he's spewing now so he can remain the good guy in Boston. I didn't think he was a bad guy to begin with!

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Sox 51-1 when first team getting to 5 runs
(Don’t believe in jinx, karma yes)

54-8 when score 5 runs - number one in baseball

Today 63rd time getting to 5 runs

Mookie 5-5 today

Tomorrow have Patriots and Mookie return

Pablo Reyes great play as post

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I don't begrudge any professional athlete getting as much money as he wants. I've been consistent on this for years. I also don't fault any guy that wants out of Boston for whatever reason (a feeling I've developed with age).

My issue is Mookie claiming he wanted to stay when he either a) didn't or b) only did if they gave him an absurd contract.

My only issue with him is the obvious bullshit he's spewing now so he can remain the good guy in Boston. I didn't think he was a bad guy to begin with!
Yup exactly

He’s a really good guy imo and I wish we had him I don’t think he wanted to be here

I still can’t believe his power numbers

He’s just so quick on pitches and can hit them to shortest part of a park like no one I’ve ever seen - it’s like the field for him max’s out at 360

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
After Shohei was shut down, things can't get worse for the Angels, right?

WRONG - Mike Trout back on the IL two days after being activated

That franchise seriously needs an exorcism

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
What a sad end to what was once a really promising career.

Unbelievable. When he came up to the majors he really did have unlimited potential. He just couldn't stay healthy. Believe people when they say good health is everything because it is.

I also think it is unbelievable given his history that Washington didn't insure that contract. Wow. Beyond stupid.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Unbelievable. When he came up to the majors he really did have unlimited potential. He just couldn't stay healthy. Believe people when they say good health is everything because it is.

I also think it is unbelievable given his history that Washington didn't insure that contract. Wow. Beyond stupid.

And the thing with Strasburg is that they handled him with kid gloves, they set innings limits for him the first few seasons he had in the majors, they were using all the latest medical research on arm health at the time to try to keep him healthy (and they were thoroughly mocked by traditionalists for shutting him down after the innings cap in 2012 and not letting him throw in the playoffs). But none of it really mattered and they might as well have just let him throw 120 pitches a night and 250 innings a year. But he did get the World Series MVP in 2019 (which probably should've gone to Rendon or Kendrick instead) as a feather in his cap, so he'll always have that accolade.

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is one of those beasts that medical researchers still don't fully understand and is pretty much impossible for an athlete to overcome.

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Reactions: BMC

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
My problem with Bloom and ownership is not retaining Wacha and/or Eovoldi and going with three highly questionable health guys in Paxton, Kluber, and Sale.

Love Kluber in his day but this was ridiculous- and the other two I’d have taken under 20 starts combined if forced to choose

They have 2 competent pitchers (I know they been hurt) they are probably 6 additional wins that puts them 20 over

When you charge those prices you can’t skimp ANYWHERE

Hopefully when they eventually miss playoffs by 1-5 games they learn their lessons

Lot of good things with this team but they didn’t go all in

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sox hitters really padded their stats today.

Abreu was the highlight of the day.

Bello was huge giving them 7 innings.

Bottom of the order (Reyes, Abreu, Urias, Wong) went 12 for 21, scored 11 runs, knocked in 9.

Yankees suffering another gut-wrenching loss is the cherry on top.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
After Shohei was shut down, things can't get worse for the Angels, right?

WRONG - Mike Trout back on the IL two days after being activated

That franchise seriously needs an exorcism
Down 3-2 games to SF in 2002 World Series and 5 runs in game 6 clearly they made a deal with the devil

Mets have been similar mess since 1986

I’d be surprised if either wins in their next 99 years

Reactions: CDJ

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
A win is a win. And we're right back on the thick of things.

Screenshot_20230723_231042_Twitter.jpg

As for Mookie, I have no ill will towards him. Consumate professional. Great guy. I miss him. But it was clear he wasn't re-signing here. He wanted to go to LA. And thats fine. I know he doesn't want to look like the "bad" guy. But dude. Just be honest. It's fine. There is no hard feelings about it. Maybe on his end. But it is what it is.

cheg1349

Mar 8, 2006
Cape Cod, MA
And the thing with Strasburg is that they handled him with kid gloves, they set innings limits for him the first few seasons he had in the majors, they were using all the latest medical research on arm health at the time to try to keep him healthy (and they were thoroughly mocked by traditionalists for shutting him down after the innings cap in 2012 and not letting him throw in the playoffs). But none of it really mattered and they might as well have just let him throw 120 pitches a night and 250 innings a year. But he did get the World Series MVP in 2019 (which probably should've gone to Rendon or Kendrick instead) as a feather in his cap, so he'll always have that accolade.

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is one of those beasts that medical researchers still don't fully understand and is pretty much impossible for an athlete to overcome.

Holy shit, I was shocked when I looked up his career stats and saw that he is 35. Would've guessed he was still in his late 20s. I'm only a couple years older than him but damn that just made me feel old haha

Reactions: CDJ and DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
So Abreau is the guy they got for Vazquez

Holy shit, I was shocked when I looked up his career stats and saw that he is 35. Would've guessed he was still in his late 20s. I'm only a couple years older than him but damn that just made me feel old haha
I’d gave guessed 31 tops

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Strasburg did have a stretch where he made a decent number of starts:

2012: 28
2013: 30
2014: 34
2015: 23
2016: 24
2017: 28
2018: 22
2019: 33

He did well to overcome the physical problems and still have a lengthy, productive career. I think people have it in their head that he's still a young guy who could never stay healthy. Partly true on the health but he still ended up pitching a ton.

As for Mookie, I'd probably have a different outlook if he was a bad guy or if things got bad with the organization. But he was pretty close to the vest while he was here. Didn't make headlines off the field and was just a tremendous and reliable player. I would never expect him to come out in the media and say "I was never going to sign with the Red Sox". Nobody does that. And people can pretend to know what he was going to end up doing but if the Red Sox made the offer the Dodgers did but did it in the year 2018 none of us know if he would have accepted. He very well might have known that offer was never coming. And if your complaint is he's talking out of his ass when asked about it then the Red Sox are too whenever they get asked about it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Abreu and Valdez for Vazquez was a damn fine piece of business and it’s hilarious last years team were babies about it

Reactions: Mione134

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Strasburg did have a stretch where he made a decent number of starts:

2012: 28
2013: 30
2014: 34
2015: 23
2016: 24
2017: 28
2018: 22
2019: 33

He did well to overcome the physical problems and still have a lengthy, productive career. I think people have it in their head that he's still a young guy who could never stay healthy. Partly true on the health but he still ended up pitching a ton.

As for Mookie, I'd probably have a different outlook if he was a bad guy or if things got bad with the organization. But he was pretty close to the vest while he was here. Didn't make headlines off the field and was just a tremendous and reliable player. I would never expect him to come out in the media and say "I was never going to sign with the Red Sox". Nobody does that. And people can pretend to know what he was going to end up doing but if the Red Sox made the offer the Dodgers did but did it in the year 2018 none of us know if he would have accepted. He very well might have known that offer was never coming. And if your complaint is he's talking out of his ass when asked about it then the Red Sox are too whenever they get asked about it.
Mookie and the Red Sox are full of shit when they speak about this now.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Abreu and Valdez for Vazquez was a damn fine piece of business and it’s hilarious last years team were babies about it
Why is that hilarious? Why would major league players care about Abreu and Valdez when their teammate and starting catcher is dealt away? The team was .500 at the time of the deal and guys like Xander Bogaerts thought the team could do something with a little help. Seems totally reasonable for a professional athlete to feel that way.

Mookie and the Red Sox are full of shit when they speak about this now.
That's fair. I guess it just doesn't bother me in either case. What bothers me is that it got to a point where trading him was deemed the best option. I don't think the Red Sox should ever be in that position. I am not assigning a percentage of blame in either direction other than to say I am disappointed in having to trade a homegrown superstar player. That should happen to the Rays, Orioles, Pirates. Not the Red Sox.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The real joy in rivalries is when both teams are at their best.

Not this mediocrity
I think it depends on your situation. I have a crazy, loud mouth Yankee fan friend.

The know it all type. The guy who, last month, came up with the great idea that the Bruins should have traded Bergeron and Krejci after 2013….because they didn’t win another cup!

I cannot tell you how much I’m enjoying telling him that the Yankees need to do what he said the Bruins should have done with Bergy and DK, and trade Judge and Cole because they‘ll never win a WS with those two chokers.

It has been a highlight of my summer.
(second only to my Italy vacation)

I‘m enjoying the rivalry and will as long as the Yankees don’t win a title and he’s still on Facebook.

😂

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Meh.

If you don't want your friends to be traded, play well enough where the GM's "buy or sell" decision at the deadline is an easy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad