Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VII - White Sox clean out the front office

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah I’d rather pay an elite hitter and an elite pitcher separately as opposed to what it would’ve cost to get Shohei

Now Shohei may get a good deal less than initially expected. Awful break for him.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
That's gotta be one of the most expensive injuries in history. Could easily cost him $200 million.
Well now I am curious though. If it's possible for him to continue on as a pitcher going forward maybe his best option would be signing a one year deal somewhere and then hit market again.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
OH REAllY? GUN consistently says 97-98 on the fastball. Go back to your shrine to Chaim. Insulting while still not addressing the point, that he overthrows and sucks. Do better.
I didn't say anything about whether or not he's good. Only that he doesn't throw hard.

As of this morning, he's in the 38th percentile of all MLB pitchers when it comes to fastball velocity.

Last edited:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I didn't say anything about whether or not he's good. Only that he doesn't throw hard.

As of this morning, he's in the 38th oercentile of all MLB pitchers when it comes to fastball velocity.
This is misleading. Because he is ranked 49th doesn't mean he doesn't throw hard. He hits 96 and look at the out of the world numbers from other pitchers above him. Either way, he throws hard.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/pitch-arsenals

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Great job by Sox bullpen last night against a really tough lineup.

Didn't understand Cora pulling Pivetta after he was blowing away Astro's hitters in the ninth. Only threw 15 pitches and he's use to going multiple innings.

Trevor Story saved the game with his defensive play in the 8th.

What can be said about Duvall? Homers again, in dramatic fashion.

Yoshida pinch-hitting looked horrible.

Devers continues to not earn his money.

Jansen out with a hammy. Really hard injury to recover from.

Wouldn't be surprised if Duvall has a broken foot.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
This is misleading. Because he is ranked 49th doesn't mean he doesn't throw hard. He hits 96 and look at the out of the world numbers from other pitchers above him. Either way, he throws hard.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/pitch-arsenals
Same data source has Winckowski with an average fastball velocity of 96.0 compared to Bello's 95.8, but has Winckowski's fastball velocity in the 38th percentile while Bello's is in the 73rd.

Weird.

There seems to be more data supporting your link, so I apologize for getting it wrong. My bad.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Loyal NESN subscribers who follow the Red Sox all year may be in for a surprise when they attempt to watch the Sox at Fenway Friday night in Mookie Betts’s first Boston appearance since the Sox dealt him to the Dodgers in 2020. The game will not be on NESN. It will be broadcast on Apple TV+.

MLB is in its second year of a seven-year, $85 million-per-year deal to stream Friday night games on Apple TV+.

“We always like to have our games on NESN,” said Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy. “But we also recognize that we are part of a broader ecosystem, so having our games shown outside of the territory is good for baseball and for the Red Sox.
“We recognize that it’s important to grow the game globally and with regional audiences, so we’re part of a bigger picture here.”

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
In other news Tito is probably retiring. He's not flat out said he's retiring but he did say he has several surgeries planned this offseason and he intends to step away from the Guardians and won't manage next year. He's 64 with several other health issues, so this is probably it.

Steve Buckley wrote a piece for the Athletic demanding that the Red Sox retire his number, which I think is overkill, but I do hope Tito and the Red Sox organization can mend fences. I don't expect him to forgive John Henry for what he did (and frankly he shouldn't), but it'd be nice if they could at least get to the point where they could look past things enough that he can make appearances in Boston for anniversaries and celebrations and such.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
That's gotta be one of the most expensive injuries in history. Could easily cost him $200 million.

Could be a really interesting series of negotiations this winter.

Maybe he signs somewhere as a DH, with significant incentives for pitching, provided he is able to pitch in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad