Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VII - White Sox clean out the front office

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
On the surface, just based on errors, isn't Devers a worse defender than Yoshida? Or do advanced metrics peg Devers as a better defender? What's a tougher position to play, 3B or LF? Is it possible Devers could play LF? Every option should be on the table. Devers got his money so if the team wants to try him in LF or DH so be it.

Looking just at Defensive WAR Devers is a -0.3 while Yoshida is -1.2.

I'm sure those numbers take position into effect, as a clunky glove or lack of range at 3B turns outs into singles where the same mistakes in the corner OF turn outs into doubles, etc. They're also equal on the runs saved above average stat at -6 each.

But I think the issue compounds itself when you have a butcher at 3B and a lumbering zombie in LF because anything hit moderately well inside the 3B line is probably getting by both of them for a double.

Reactions: CDJ

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
On the surface, just based on errors, isn't Devers a worse defender than Yoshida? Or do advanced metrics peg Devers as a better defender? What's a tougher position to play, 3B or LF? Is it possible Devers could play LF? Every option should be on the table. Devers got his money so if the team wants to try him in LF or DH so be it.

Yoshida has easily been worse this year than Devers. OF/LF rarely get accounted for errors. LF is one of the least important positions in baseball along with 1B. Sometimes it's RF, sometimes it's LF, it depends on the dimensions of a ballpark. Look at teams that stash pylons in corner OF positions. Manny back then (but he knew how to handle the wall)., Schwarber plays a horrible LF for the Phillies.

I think the most elementary part in a defensive OF-scheme is the CF, especially in Fenway. This is the position that has to be great defensively to make the other 2 COF look better. This is where Rafaela may come into play. He's a potential ++ in CF and + at SS. I'd be such a big win if his offense was at least adequate to stick around long term. JBJ was a fine player over his time in Boston.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yoshida isn’t a very good player, he’s a very good hitter. There is a difference, unfortunately. He’s an ok starting LF overall when you look at the entire package. I expect next season he’ll be less streaky and he’ll know how to play the wall a little better but he is what he is out there- a short guy who runs like he has a piano on his back. His defensive metrics will never be great as with him it’s simply a lack of athleticism he’ll never be able to find but I think he could hit enough to be a 2-3 WAR guy

I think next year you DH Yoshida behind fly ball pitchers and you DH Devers behind ground ball pitchers (Bello). Just don’t see how Turner can be brought back with Yoshida on the team, which sucks because I feel like Turner is the engine of the offense. I’d move Yoshida if I could but I think that’s very doubtful, but if he helps recruit then he’s well worth keeping

^how that make you feel @Mr Cartmenez?

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Do current metrics still struggle with the Monster? I know Yoshida is bad but I'm not sure stats capture the real value. LF at Fenway has always been a statistical outlier. I remember Manny being like -40 runs one year.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
^how that make you feel @Mr Cartmenez?

Pretty good. I think Yamamoto to the Sox is a realistic scenario. I have never bought into the narration that Henry doesn't care about the Red Sox and wants them to be run like the Rays. Now that they have re-set the tax, they are free to shoot way beyond the threshold.
He was willing to open the checkbook for well over 100m on a good, not great player for Liverpool. He'll do it for the Sox as well.

If Yoshida helps recruiting him, he can stay as DH.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It's Sale day. Yippee.:(
Is he down to throwing 89 MPH now? Please Rusney Castillo him next year or find a sucker for his final year of the contract. Maybe a team needs to get to a salary floor and we can throw in a couple prospects.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Is he down to throwing 89 MPH now? Please Rusney Castillo him next year or find a sucker for his final year of the contract. Maybe a team needs to get to a salary floor and we can throw in a couple prospects.
He is around 92 tonight. Unfortunately, this is not basketball, so I think we are stuck with him. In the interest of fairness, he threw 95 the last couple of innings. ....

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yoshida has easily been worse this year than Devers. OF/LF rarely get accounted for errors. LF is one of the least important positions in baseball along with 1B. Sometimes it's RF, sometimes it's LF, it depends on the dimensions of a ballpark. Look at teams that stash pylons in corner OF positions. Manny back then (but he knew how to handle the wall)., Schwarber plays a horrible LF for the Phillies.

I think the most elementary part in a defensive OF-scheme is the CF, especially in Fenway. This is the position that has to be great defensively to make the other 2 COF look better. This is where Rafaela may come into play. He's a potential ++ in CF and + at SS. I'd be such a big win if his offense was at least adequate to stick around long term. JBJ was a fine player over his time in Boston.

Could not disagree more.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Unnecessary stress.

But you had to win this game. It's been awhile but

Screenshot_20230723_231042_Twitter.jpg

A win is a win.

Seattle loses. Toronto loses.

We win.