Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VII - White Sox clean out the front office

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1692762152876.png

• Haha
Reactions: BMC

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
That's pretty average for a power hitter. That's the modern game, guys dont cut down their swing with 2 strikes to make contact anymore. It's swing for the fences regardless of count.

Ohtani is at 24.4%, Olson is at 24.7% and Trout at 28.8%, Judge's career low is 25.0%

To which I respond with that's why the modern game was becoming so unbearable to watch in the United States to the point it was driving fans away until MLB forced rule changes. And even then, too many guys are going for all or nothing because people at the top running things are those who look at a mathematics equation rather than people who played the game and are telling coaches to teach bad playing habits to players. This is in complete contrast to the rest of the baseball world who are developing more well rounded players. There needs to be a fundamental rethink with regards to the way players are getting developed to where there's a happy medium. Analytics are good, but fundamental baseball is too important to sacrifice in the name of an equation. That's my thoughts on it at least.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
This. Don't get me wrong I love Turner and Yoshida is a good hitter but when you put together a terrible defensive team I'm not gonna crucify the best hitter on the team when everyone already knew he wasn't good defensively. If the GM doesn't care about defense he'll have to live with the results. Or he can try to solve the problem.
Turner been great but he’s 38 yet I hope he’s back another season

Yoshida needs to be long-term DH

Devers needs to be better -they discussed his fielding using metrics on Baseball Now last off season and I believe he went from sucking in 21 to middle of pack in 22

He needs to get back there

Focus ? Whatever but no reason for this bad

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I will never forgive this guy for his story before SB

I’m surprised he still has a job in this region

What ever happened to Ron Borges ?
1. Neither will I.

2. Me too.

3. The internet tells me he works for something called the Talk of Fame Network. Most people don’t know that he’s the New England representative to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Committee. I believe each market/team gets one.

Reactions: DKH and CDJ

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
If you saw that clip of Devers in the dugout, I think it's clear it's in his head. I wouldn't classify him as an a-hole but that's just me. Dude cares and knows it's killing them.

When Devers first came up I thought he could become an above average third baseman. Right now he’s not even playing well enough to play in Little League. Clearly it’s a head problem- time to see a sports psychologist about it???

Reactions: Johnnyduke

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Here's the problem if you want to run it back with a team consisting of:

Devers
Turner
Yoshida
Casas

Hell, even Duran isn't a great fielder despite his speed and athleticism. If you can't fix the fielding problem I suppose the alternative is better pitching/more strikeouts. I would like to see them in on Matt Chapman though. If you have Chapman at 3B you can still sprinkle in Devers at 3B and rotate a DH spot with the numerous born to be DHs on the team.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This is more or less going the way many figured it would.

Take care of business against the also rans and dregs of the league, but can’t compete against the real contenders.

Still, if they find a way to stay in the mix, there’s reason for optimism about the season even if they finish 4th.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
This is more or less going the way many figured it would.

Take care of business against the also rans and dregs of the league, but can’t compete against the real contenders.

Still, if they find a way to stay in the mix, there’s reason for optimism about the season even if they finish 4th.
But up until this point they have been good against good teams. People were banking on that but that levels off over the course of 162. We might be in line for a market correction the rest of the way. I wish the old end of August waiver trade deadline was still in place. Maybe then Chaim would get off his ass and try to sell some pieces. Because the season is absolutely toast now. At the deadline the GM basically said the percentages say we won't make it. So what was the hold up on selling then? 2nd consecutive deadline of not taking advantage of the opportunities in front of you. Either to buy and support the team or sell off pieces. I just don't think this guy is aggressive enough in ANY direction. Too much sitting around doing absolutely nothing and then telling us it will be awesome.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Here's the problem if you want to run it back with a team consisting of:

Devers
Turner
Yoshida
Casas

Hell, even Duran isn't a great fielder despite his speed and athleticism. If you can't fix the fielding problem I suppose the alternative is better pitching/more strikeouts. I would like to see them in on Matt Chapman though. If you have Chapman at 3B you can still sprinkle in Devers at 3B and rotate a DH spot with the numerous born to be DHs on the team.

Can't see the Sox outbidding the Yankees for Chapman. Their need is much greater at 3B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad