Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VII - White Sox clean out the front office

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
*He* didn't say it but he did get burned by bad sources. Sometimes that does happen. That angle of spygate has faded over time anyway. Certainly caused a headache at the time though. I believe his downfall was trusting a source that Belichick fired. Matt Walsh? Marshall Faulk might be the only one still hanging on to that story. The overall paragraph in the Belichick/Brady era is I think they were dinged three times. Spygate, Deflategate and then that Kraft productions issue filming something in Cleveland or Cincinnati.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
*He* didn't say it but he did get burned by bad sources. Sometimes that does happen. That angle of spygate has faded over time anyway. Certainly caused a headache at the time though. I believe his downfall was trusting a source that Belichick fired. Matt Walsh? Marshall Faulk might be the only one still hanging on to that story. The overall paragraph in the Belichick/Brady era is I think they were dinged three times. Spygate, Deflategate and then that Kraft productions issue filming something in Cleveland or Cincinnati.

It's actually much, much worse than what you've described. The real story is why I will never forgive him.

He didn't get burned by a source. He trusted a source who had no proof and was only conveying a story he heard. Tomase, in his bullshit "apology," explained what happened. He was afraid someone was about to beat him on his big career-defining "scoop," so he ran with it despite not having any sort of verification or proof. He broke basic Journalism 101 ethics and standards they teach you in your first class. (I have a Journalism degree, that's not hyperbole.) He was so afraid of missing out on this story he published it without actually having a story. He just figured their was enough smoke so he could count on their being an actual fire, only it wasn't smoke, it was just mist.

I also blame his editors equally for running this story, which is why I have never bought a copy of the Herald since this all went down and refuse to support any show or website he works on. Tomase and his editors all deserved to be fired and the fact they continue to work in this city is embarrassing.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
How else would a guy get burned by a source then? I am not in the journalism profession but there are countless examples of stories being broken as the result of talking to sources and then that info is disputed/proven false. It sounds like you're saying he could only run with a story if Walsh had the footage himself and then sent it to Tomase. I just don't know if that's how all or even the majority of journalists work.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Super Bowl

Back in the day he basically said the pats filmed the rams walk through iirc (patently false)

I mean...even if the Patriots did...almost two thirds of the league were doing it and the practice wasn't illegal. Multiple coaches from Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher, and so on admitted to doing it. It really doesn't mean anything and the players that cry about it use it as a convenient excuse for their shortcomings in big games.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
How else would a guy get burned by a source then? I am not in the journalism profession but there are countless examples of stories being broken as the result of talking to sources and then that info is disputed/proven false. It sounds like you're saying he could only run with a story if Walsh had the footage himself and then sent it to Tomase. I just don't know if that's how all or even the majority of journalists work.

Being burned means the source intentionally misled, lied to you, or gave you fake proof. No one did that. People had just been telling the same story they heard over the years. That's not enough to print a story as fact. Tomase, to the only credit I will ever give him, completely acknowledged all of this. He flat out admitted what he did was irresponsible and in violation of basic journalism standards. From the ESPN story on his apology (breaks and bold mine):

"First and foremost, this is about a writer breaking one of the cardinal rules of journalism. I failed to keep challenging what I had been told," wrote John Tomase in Friday's editions of the newspaper.

"I had repeatedly heard that this walk-through had been taped, and from people I trusted. Eventually I accepted it as fact and stopped questioning the assertion," Tomase said.

After verifying that a member of the team's video staff had been setting up a camera at the walk-through, Tomase said he then made a "devastating leap of logic," by assuming the camera was rolling.

Tomase said none of his sources told him they had seen a tape.

"I should not have written the story without seeing the tape or getting multiple, firsthand confirmations from members of the organization," he wrote.

He did this because he was terrified someone was about to scoop him. It's one of the more egregious examples of journalistic malpractice you can see from someone who isn't flat out fabricating something. He threw away all of the basic rules journalism has in place for itself to prevent this exact thing from happening. He was simply driven by ambition. It's why his editors are just as culpable. Their job is to make sure this doesn't happen.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
gotten over Tomase, running brady out of town and Bill being shown as mediocre much more of a recent memory

Serious question: how was Brady run out of town?

He was not given the contract offer he wanted, for sure, but he was offered a contract. If he signed it he would have stayed in New England.

Instead, coming off a third Super Bowl victory in five years, he told Kraft he wanted out. The owner then granted him his wish, making it impossible for the coach to franchise tag him and keep him here.

We can definitely debate if Belichick f***ed up the relationship/contract. Beyond fair. But that's not the same as running a guy out of town. Adam Oates got run out of town. Mo Vaughn got run out of town. Tom Brady did not.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Took me an embarrassingly long time to get the Pirates/Red Sox square today on immaculategrid
I could probably name a dozen Pirate/Sox players off the top of my head

Jeff Suppan, Brock Holt, Bronson Arroyo, Tim Wakefield, Freddy Sanchez, Mark Melancon, Mike Easler, Joel Hanrahan, Zane Smith. I ended up using Sauersuck in my grid for a 0.3% result, then used Arroyo in the Cincinnati/Pittsburgh box next to it.

The one I absolutely cannot seem to fill is the Pirates' 200 K season one. Maybe I'm blanking on someone obvious, but I cannot think of any.
Edit, eventually got the 200K Pirate on a total guess when I remembered he wound up there for a little bit

Francisco Liriano

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Jeff Suppan, Brock Holt, Bronson Arroyo, Tim Wakefield, Freddy Sanchez, Mark Melancon, Mike Easler, Joel Hanrahan, Zane Smith. I ended up using Sauersuck in my grid for a 0.3% result, then used Arroyo in the Cincinnati/Pittsburgh box next to it.

The one I absolutely cannot seem to fill is the Pirates' 200 K season one. Maybe I'm blanking on someone obvious, but I cannot think of any.

Yeah, my brain immediately thought of
Wakefield
but blanked on the name

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario

The trick is to simply remember
Ryan Lavarnway's 6 ABs as a Pirate.

• Haha
Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
It appears last night some of you gained the attention of an HF Site Admin..

I can not emphasize strong enough to stop flaming/trolling each other and use ignore or do not engage on a personal basis.

Additionally, if you disclose or discuss who you have on ignore - thats breach of the site disclosure rule. Break the rule, pay the price.

Up to *you*.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's actually much, much worse than what you've described. The real story is why I will never forgive him.

He didn't get burned by a source. He trusted a source who had no proof and was only conveying a story he heard. Tomase, in his bullshit "apology," explained what happened. He was afraid someone was about to beat him on his big career-defining "scoop," so he ran with it despite not having any sort of verification or proof. He broke basic Journalism 101 ethics and standards they teach you in your first class. (I have a Journalism degree, that's not hyperbole.) He was so afraid of missing out on this story he published it without actually having a story. He just figured their was enough smoke so he could count on their being an actual fire, only it wasn't smoke, it was just mist.

I also blame his editors equally for running this story, which is why I have never bought a copy of the Herald since this all went down and refuse to support any show or website he works on. Tomase and his editors all deserved to be fired and the fact they continue to work in this city is embarrassing.

Today he could claim its a free speech issue. A foxy move.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Can't see the Sox outbidding the Yankees for Chapman. Their need is much greater at 3B.
They can move Peraza there - he’s got EB power

AL East

Orioles - talented but owner crying about money already and he’s got Gunner, Adley & Holliday coming

Tampa - Best player may never play again

It’s wide open Linda

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
They can move Peraza there - he’s got EB power

AL East

Orioles - talented but owner crying about money already and he’s got Gunner, Adley & Holliday coming

Tampa - Best player may never play again

It’s wide open Linda

Peraza or Chapman?

The Yankees? After this horrendous season?

I'd be surprised if they went with Peraza.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Edit, eventually got the 200K Pirate on a total guess when I remembered he wound up there for a little bit

Francisco Liriano

Every day in both hockey and baseball, I rattle off the first 6/7 then somehow draw a blank on the last few.

I’m guessing I’m not alone among those my age….(over 50) in that it’s so much easier for me with the historical teams.

I know teams like the DBacks, Coyotes, Marlins, etc. have been around for a while but their players just don’t come to mind as easily as the teams I watched as kid and young adult.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
At the deadline the GM basically said the percentages say we won't make it. So what was the hold up on selling then? 2nd consecutive deadline of not taking advantage of the opportunities in front of you. Either to buy and support the team or sell off pieces. I just don't think this guy is aggressive enough in ANY direction. Too much sitting around doing absolutely nothing and then telling us it will be awesome.

He didn't have the guts. What else could it be? It's happened TWICE in a row when the outlook of the teams was pretty much the same. That tells me he's not learning from his mistakes.

The Mariners for example made the right choice and are now in a much better situation.

Bloom should have traded at least a few of Verdugo, Turner, Paxton, Jansen, Duvall and still could have put the spotlight on the "reinforcements".

Here's the problem if you want to run it back with a team consisting of:

Devers
Turner
Yoshida
Casas

Hell, even Duran isn't a great fielder despite his speed and athleticism. If you can't fix the fielding problem I suppose the alternative is better pitching/more strikeouts. I would like to see them in on Matt Chapman though. If you have Chapman at 3B you can still sprinkle in Devers at 3B and rotate a DH spot with the numerous born to be DHs on the team.

Red Sox are/were fielding players with ratings such as: -6 (Devers), -13.7 (Yoshida), -9.6 (Kiké), -14.1 (Casas), -12.5 (Turner),-3.8 (Enmanuel Valdez), -1.1 (Urias), -2.9 (Duran)

This is as bad as it gets. They have to completely revamp the defense. The only bright spot is C and as it appears SS if Story stays healthy. Verdugo has been fine this year, but I wouldn't trust him long term and I doubt he's still on the team next season, plus they need the spot for Duran.

So, in a perfect world:
C: Wong / McGuire + Teel
1B: Casas
2B: Urias / Reyes
3B: ???
SS: Story
OF: Duran, Rafaela, Abreu
DH: Devers

Turner cannot stay as much as we like him. And you basically have to choose between Yoshida and Casas. Somethings gotta give. Casas has a higher ceiling, so I absolutely wouldn't mind them dealing Yoshida (I wasn't a fan of the signing from day 1), but I can't see Bloom being willing to do that.

Edit: They shouldn't invest heavy money in 30 year old free agents. They have yet to open their window. That's why I think they are the ideal landing spot for Yamamoto. He's young and is a name that puts the Red Sox on the landscape again. It's a match made in heaven IMO and he may want to come due to Yoshida already being here, who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnnyduke

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Every day in both hockey and baseball, I rattle off the first 6/7 then somehow draw a blank on the last few.

I’m guessing I’m not alone among those my age….(over 50) in that it’s so much easier for me with the historical teams.

I know teams like the DBacks, Coyotes, Marlins, etc. have been around for a while but their players just don’t come to mind as easily as the teams I watched as kid and young adult.
Whenever I play Puckdoku and they have the Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, or Seattle Kraken I'm screwed. But every team that existed prior to 1998 I can find someone for.

I'm better at the baseball one though, since we've seen so much of the Tampa Bay Rays and there were a lot of memorable Florida Marlins. Sometimes D'Backs is tricky outside of the big name players, but I tend to have more trouble with the teams that weren't competitive in the late 90s/early 2000s when my attention to the league peaked like Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, KC, Detroit, etc.

Reactions: sarge88

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He didn't have the guts. What else could it be? It's happened TWICE in a row when the outlook of the teams was pretty much the same. That tells me he's not learning from his mistakes.

The Mariners for example made the right choice and are now in a much better situation.

Bloom should have traded at least a few of Verdugo, Turner, Paxton, Jansen, Duvall and still could have put the spotlight on the "reinforcements".

Red Sox are/were fielding players with ratings such as: -6 (Devers), -13.7 (Yoshida), -9.6 (Kiké), -14.1 (Casas), -12.5 (Turner),-3.8 (Enmanuel Valdez), -1.1 (Urias), -2.9 (Duran)

This is as bad as it gets. They have to completely revamp the defense. The only bright spot is C and as it appears SS if Story stays healthy. Verdugo has been fine this year, but I wouldn't trust him long term and I doubt he's still on the team next season, plus they need the spot for Duran.

So, in a perfect world:

Turner cannot stay as much as we like him. And you basically have to choose between Yoshida and Casas. Somethings gotta give. Casas has a higher ceiling, so I absolutely wouldn't mind them dealing Yoshida (I wasn't a fan of the signing from day 1), but I can't see Bloom being willing to do that.

Edit: They shouldn't invest heavy money in 30 year old free agents. They have yet to open their window. That's why I think they are the ideal landing spot for Yamamoto. He's young and is a name that puts the Red Sox on the landscape again. It's a match made in heaven IMO and he may want to come due to Yoshida already being here, who knows.

Didn't Seattle trade their closer for prospects?

Why do you have to choose between Yoshida and Casas?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

So, in a perfect world:

Yeah, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Bloom moves Yoshida, and why would he? Yoshida is a very good player. I don't really understand how you're penciling in Abreu as a starting OFer over Yoshida, nor do I understand why we're choosing between Casas and Yoshida when they play completely different positions.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It appears last night some of you gained the attention of an HF Site Admin..

I can not emphasize strong enough to stop flaming/trolling each other and use ignore or do not engage on a personal basis.

Additionally, if you disclose or discuss who you have on ignore - thats breach of the site disclosure rule. Break the rule, pay the price.

Up to *you*.

Am I allowed to say who has me blocked?

Because I think you would find it SHOCKING.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I would say whoever is GM of the Mariners gets my vote for executive of the year. Picks up some prospects for a major league piece and then the team goes on a tear anyway!

Our old friend Jerry DiPoto is in charge.

Yeah, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Bloom moves Yoshida, and why would he? Yoshida is a very good player. I don't really understand how you're penciling in Abreu as a starting OFer over Yoshida, nor do I understand why we're choosing between Casas and Yoshida when they play completely different positions.

Sorry, I was under the impression that I made my point clear.

The Red Sox have the worst defense over a 3 year span. Pretty much since Bloom took over. This has got to change, otherwise the team is not gonna take leaps. They currently have at least 4 DH types: Turner, Devers, Casas and Yoshida. If Turner opts out, there is still 3 left. Now you have hope that Casas - as young as he is - still develops and gets better on defense. Still leaves you with Devers and Yoshida and unless the MLB allows the Red Sox to have 2 DHs, someone is the odd man out.

I didn't say that Abreu was or should be a starting OF (maybe I phrased it confusingly), it's just a melange of players that are very likely to be on the team next year and onward. Abreu could be a very fine platoon or BU-OF player. I expect Verdugo to be moved.
I also expect Yoshida to not get traded, but in my w"perfect" world, he is traded (or isn't signed in the first place), because is NOT a "very good player". Nothing indicates that he is. His WAR in 2023 is 0.8. If that's the threshold of being very good, the Sox team is full of very good players (they have 17 players with a WAR of .8 or above) and you wonder why they perform so mediocre.

I repeat, the Red Sox cannot continue to assemble the bad news bears on defense. The focus on defense has increased since the ban of the shift. If you are a bottom 5 defense in baseball, you are very unlikely to be a real, strong contender.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
On the surface, just based on errors, isn't Devers a worse defender than Yoshida? Or do advanced metrics peg Devers as a better defender? What's a tougher position to play, 3B or LF? Is it possible Devers could play LF? Every option should be on the table. Devers got his money so if the team wants to try him in LF or DH so be it.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
The whole season has been people playing out of position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad