Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VII - White Sox clean out the front office

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He’s in the 26th percentile for running and 5th percentile in getting a jump on the ball. 6th percentile in outs above average. So he’s a bad runner who gets some of the worst beats on the ball in the league and doesn’t make plays he should be making. Eye test backs it up. Did you see how unathletic he looked in the 1st on that fly ball that Duvall/Verdugo probably easily catch? Manny at least knew how to do basic things like play balls off the monster

I think Yoshida is definitely moveable- especially with a universal DH- you’re just not going to get a premium package in return for that kind of player

Not an easy play at all. In spite of what Millar & O'Brien said.

And we've seen Duran look like that going to the wall a number of times this season. Clearly you wouldn't call Durn unathletic.

For me Yoshida has been somewhat disappointing at the plate. Probably due to expectation being so high. He's hitting .295, but its a soft .295. His OPS in only 6th on the team.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

And we've seen Duran look like that going to the wall a number of times this season. Clearly you wouldn't call Durn unathletic.

For me Yoshida has been somewhat disappointing at the plate. Probably due to expectation being so high. He's hitting .295, but its a soft .295. His OPS in only 6th on the team.
Literally any other OF on the roster catches that ball, he wasn’t even looking in the right direction! Yoshida certainly made it look like it wasn’t an easy play. Duvall and Verdugo DEFINITELY make that play.

I wouldn’t call Duran unathletic because it would be insane to call somebody in the 96th percentile of running with that kind of explosion off the bag and the 99th percentile in reaction time unathletic. Duran also headed out so much better than Yoshida does in the field. They are not even remotely comparable

Yoshida’s OPS is .812, I’m totally cool with that. And aren’t you a batting average guy anyway?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Given that Chaim did nothing at the trade deadline I guess I am going to assume his job is safe. Either that or ownership overruled anything he had in the works because their mind is made up. They are now 4 games out of the WC. Doesn't look like they have a shot. He could have kickstarted this process by trading Turner and others.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Yoshida’s OPS is .812, I’m totally cool with that. And aren’t you a batting average guy anyway?
So we like a defensive butcher who has a .812 OPS but we call a defensive butcher with a .872 OPS an a-hole. An a-hole that has actually helped this organization win a WS title in his time here. A guy who posted a 1.029 OPS in the 2021 ALCS run.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Literally any other OF on the roster catches that ball, he wasn’t even looking in the right direction! Yoshida certainly made it look like it wasn’t an easy play. Duvall and Verdugo DEFINITELY make that play.I wouldn’t call Duran unathletic because it would be insane to call somebody in the 96th percentile of running with that kind of explosion off the bag and the 99th percentile in reaction time unathletic. Duran also headed out so much better than Yoshida does in the field. They are not even remotely comparable

I don't like to be labeled any kind of guy in terms of sports.

Most of my life batting average was the primary measure of a hitter. But it still had to be weighed with other factors. Take a player like Willie McCovey in 1970. A .289 hitter. 40 players with higher averages but not more than 5 that were having better seasons. And everyone realized it without having to see a myraid of advanced stats.

Reactions: BMC and CDJ

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
So we like a defensive butcher who has a .812 OPS but we call a defensive butcher with a .872 OPS an a-hole. An a-hole that has actually helped this organization win a WS title in his time here. A guy who posted a 1.029 OPS in the 2021 ALCS run.

Because the .812 guy is still the shiny new toy. Give it a couple seasons of this and he'll be as maligned as Daisuke

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Given that Chaim did nothing at the trade deadline I guess I am going to assume his job is safe. Either that or ownership overruled anything he had in the works because their mind is made up. They are now 4 games out of the WC. Doesn't look like they have a shot. He could have kickstarted this process by trading Turner and others.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
A one game collapse?

Poster was commenting on last night's game, in which Devers was their biggest problem.

One game? My guy, I'm talking about everything post the all-star break and trade deadline. The Red Sox had the wild card spot in their grasp heading into the all star break and they are letting it slip through their fingers and fall into the hands of the Mariners by racking up loss after loss after loss against teams they should be beating. Don't act like I'm talking about one game. This team is imploding because of Chaim Bloom's arrogance in not improving this team to be built for the long haul.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
One game? My guy, I'm talking about everything post the all-star break and trade deadline. The Red Sox had the wild card spot in their grasp heading into the all star break and they are letting it slip through their fingers and fall into the hands of the Mariners by racking up loss after loss after loss against teams they should be beating. Don't act like I'm talking about one game. This team is imploding because of Chaim Bloom's arrogance.

They just came off of a 3 game sweep of the Yankees. Since the all-star break they are 18-16. Hardly a collapse.

Seattle has won 15 of their 18. Sox aren't letting it slip into Mariners hands, they are taking it from us (and Toronto).

You need to actually say what (time frame) you are talking about. That way I could respond accordingly.

Reactions: CDJ

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

It's hard when you are expected to be a home run machine as a contact hitter and have no one else getting on base. Yoshida should be doing more to drive in runs, that said he's on a team that's been absolutely under performing across the board compared to what they should be given projections. Duvall's cooled off since his injury, Story's swinging at everything and has no pop in his bat since coming back, Wong's been mid as hell, Casas continues to have no concept of plate discipline, and on and on and on. And yet the only one whose getting flak is the motor of this offense despite Devers getting back to his 2019 and 2021 form as he is showing excellent plate discipline, drawing more walks, is improving his power hitting while not sacrificing his ability to put the ball in play with contact hitting.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
They just came off of a 3 game sweep of the Yankees. Since the all-star break they are 18-16. Hardly a collapse.

Seattle has won 15 of their 18. Sox aren't letting it slip into Mariners hands, they are taking it from us (and Toronto).

You need to actually say what (time frame) you are talking about. That way I could respond accordingly.

Wow...amazing...they beat a dysfunctional baseball team in the Yankees. I'm amazed. Now explain to me why they proceeded to drop two of three to the Nationals and have a record of 10-9 in the month of August when every win counts, not to mention losing two key series against the Athletics and dropping two of three to the Giants in July. The Red Sox shouldn't be behind the eight ball as September is rolling around, but they are as a result of poor decisions taken by the front office.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's hard when you are expected to be a home run machine as a contact hitter and have no one else getting on base. Yoshida should be doing more to drive in runs, that said he's on a team that's been absolutely under performing across the board compared to what they should be given projections. Duvall's cooled off since his injury, Story's swinging at everything and has no pop in his bat since coming back, Wong's been mid as hell, Casas continues to have no concept of plate discipline, and on and on and on. And yet the only one whose getting flak is the motor of this offense despite Devers getting back to his 2019 and 2021 form as he is showing excellent plate discipline, drawing more walks, is improving his power hitting while not sacrificing his ability to put the ball in play with contact hitting.

You were doing pretty good until you got to that Casas part.

Wow...amazing...they beat a dysfunctional baseball team in the Yankees. I'm amazed. Now explain to me why they proceeded to drop two of three to the Nationals and have a record of 10-9 in the month of August when every win counts, not to mention losing two key series against the Athletics and dropping two of three to the Giants in July. The Red Sox shouldn't be behind the eight ball as September is rolling around, but they are as a result of poor decisions taken by the front office.

Because they are not a great team?

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
You were doing pretty good until you got to that Casas part.

1692716408818.png

Womp womp.

Because they are not a great team?

And why might that be, hmmmmm? Could it be that the man who built this team isn't a good GM?

• Haha
Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Not sure what that advanced batting post has to do with "no concept of plate discipline".
When every time a player goes up to bat, he has a 1 in 4 chance of striking out...that's not a good sign of plate discipline. He's not terrible, but the percentages could be better. Now @EverettMike, you are correct that Casas has 56 walks which is excellent. It's in fact, tied for top 10 in the AL. Casas also has over 100 strikeouts and has a WAR of 1.3 to show for it. Not great, but not terrible either. Just...meh. Ideally, Casas should be looking to draw more walks and work more favorable hitters counts. If he can drag down the strikeout percentage to below 20%, which I would imagine he should be able to do by next year or even 2025, then the Sox should be fine. That's not something unrealistic to ask of Casas either. Every high level power hitter first baseman learned to pull down strikeout totals and strikeout percentages by working counts at the plate to get more favorable hitters counts to be even more effective as a hitter. If you can't do that at an MLB level, your days at playing first base are numbered.

Could be.

But since the team isn't great, more likely the GM isn't great either.
And with that, I think we can agree.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
When every time a player goes up to bat, he has a 1 in 4 chance of striking out...that's not a good sign of plate discipline. He's not terrible, but the percentages could be better. Now @EverettMike, you are correct that Casas has 56 walks which is excellent. It's in fact, tied for top 10 in the AL. Casas also has over 100 strikeouts and has a WAR of 1.3 to show for it. Not great, but not terrible either. Just...meh. Ideally, Casas should be looking to draw more walks and work more favorable hitters counts. If he can drag down the strikeout percentage to below 20%, which I would imagine he should be able to do by next year or even 2025, then the Sox should be fine. That's not something unrealistic to ask of Casas either. Every high level power hitter first baseman learned to pull down strikeout totals and strikeout percentages by working counts at the plate to get more favorable hitters counts to be even more effective as a hitter. If you can't do that at an MLB level, your days at playing first base are numbered.

Yeah, you don’t watch if this is your Casas take.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

That's pretty average for a power hitter. That's the modern game, guys dont cut down their swing with 2 strikes to make contact anymore. It's swing for the fences regardless of count.

Ohtani is at 24.4%, Olson is at 24.7% and Trout at 28.8%, Judge's career low is 25.0%

Reactions: BMC

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Casas has 56 walks this season, which ranks him 26th in all of baseball.

Aside from that....
Just wanted to point out that I like Casas. A lot. The power surge the 2nd half of the year is what I needed to see. He has delivered. He looks like a future star for sure at this point. He might also be a butcher defensively but at 23 he has some room for growth there. Plus you really don't need a whole lot from a 1B defensively. Just don't be Big Papi in interleague play or Kyle Schwarber. Now I'll go back to my PPG ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad