Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VII - White Sox clean out the front office

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
For the record, I will never have a problem criticizing a player when warranted. But when there is a very clear pattern of specifically targeting the team's best players while mocking people for criticizing players that aren't very good at all...I don't know, that seems crazy to me.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Just not gonna win when your 30 mill guy is playing like the worst player in baseball

Totally useless if he isn’t hitting the ball hard. AB quality is bad, major negative in the field, dumb baserunner

I think they legitimately have to consider trading Yoshida. Good hitter. Just doesn’t really fit on this roster if Raffy is gonna be an asshole and regress with the glove. He is the least athletic OF’er I have ever seen

Yoshida the least athletic OF you have ever seen?

Is this the first time you have watched baseball?

Reactions: Johnnyduke

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yoshida the least athletic OF you have ever seen?

Is this the first time you have watched baseball?
He runs like he has a piano on his back and has zero arm or coordination, Manny was better out there. Maybe Schwarber? He can throw a little better than Yoshida but it looks uglier overall.

Yoshida’s bat makes up for it imo and I expect he can be even better next year hitting as he’ll be used to the grind but it really sucks having 3 DH’s and one DH slot

Devers with a clutch GIDP. Invisible member of the PPG says we can’t criticize tho

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
No, I didn't say that. It is funny though seeing a non PPG member apoplectic about a singular game from Devers but nothing about the starting pitcher sharting on the mound. In summary, yes, the best player on the team will have bad games. Take him out of this lineup and find out. It's just odd to save all the anger for him and then mock people for being critical of Trevor Story etc. Doesn't make any sense. Just me being invisible though. Rent free.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Wilyer Abreu up, Tanner Houck activated

Chris Murphy optioned (see you in September) and Duran will likely hit the IL

Reactions: Mione134

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
All I can say is that I'm laughing my ass off at this collapse by the Red Sox and watching people pointing the fingers at the guys who lead in WAR but don't want to acknowledge the piss poor spending in the past couple of offseasons on players not named Devers and Yoshida as well as the terrible trade deadlines as well, which everyone else in MLB are scratching their heads at. No one is mentioning Adam Duvall, Corey Kluber, Trevor Story, Raimel Tapia, Reese McGuire, Kaleb Ort, Cristian Arroyo, Enrique Hernandez, or Emmanuel Valdez's shortcomings. No one wants to mention how Bloom wanted to use IL returns as "trade deadline pieces" to sell to the Red Sox fan base because he was only able to get Luis Urias and nothing else. No one wants to talk about how it seems like this team wants to scapegoat Alex Cora because the front office doesn't want to take any responsibility for this team's failures. It's hilarious and I'm just enjoying the ride.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Just not gonna win when your 30 mill guy is playing like the worst player in baseball

Totally useless if he isn’t hitting the ball hard. AB quality is bad, major negative in the field, dumb baserunner

This is why I wouldn't have re-signed him to begin with. But the fanbase was ready to torch the owners for not being willing to pony up for their star-players. Neither X nor Devers were nor will be worth it long term, but they gave in.

I think they legitimately have to consider trading Yoshida. Good hitter. Just doesn’t really fit on this roster if Raffy is gonna be an asshole and regress with the glove. He is the least athletic OF’er I have ever seen

Devers was a DH-to-be anyway, how could a GM not see that? Adding a Yoshida to a bottom 5 defense is probably not that productive. Everyone else knew about the state of the defense.
Yoshida (whose brutal D was pretty accordingly reported by scouts) - despite being really good with the bat - is currently a 1 WAR player. Good luck being able to deal that. He'd have to be at around 2 WAR to be contract neutral. I can't see other GMs lining up to get him nor do I expect Bloom to deal him.

The only way you are getting any value out of him is by making him the permanent DH. Unfortunately, there is no other way. Turner has to be let go (but why not trade him to the Fish then?).

No one wants to talk about how it seems like this team wants to scapegoat Alex Cora because the front office doesn't want to take any responsibility for this team's failures. It's hilarious and I'm just enjoying the ride.

If they indeed try to pin this on the manager, the mission is destined to fail. Cora is gonna be the big winner out of this, one way or the other. He either wins the power struggle against Bloom or he gets ousted and immediately signs with another team, like the Yankees.

Reactions: EvilDead

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Devers was a DH-to-be anyway, how could a GM not see that? Adding a Yoshida to a bottom 5 defense is probably not that productive. Everyone else knew about the state of the defense.
This. Don't get me wrong I love Turner and Yoshida is a good hitter but when you put together a terrible defensive team I'm not gonna crucify the best hitter on the team when everyone already knew he wasn't good defensively. If the GM doesn't care about defense he'll have to live with the results. Or he can try to solve the problem.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I've seen a few people now say they wouldn't have re-signed Devers because of his defense. Yet even with his bad defense this team would be toast without him. Finished. Dead. Battling the Yankees for last place. He's still an extreme value add as a hitter. That's why there is a DH spot. It's worked out nicely here before. The only option this offseason is to move him to DH and go from there.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
People should be complaining about paying Trevor Story 20m a year but because he is good defensively (you know when he's actually out there) they are ok with it. It makes absolutely no f'ing sense to rip Devers, call him an a-hole and then mock those who point out the Story contract is THE bad contract. Story has an opt out after 2025. Who thinks he will be opting out and testing free agency? :laugh:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He runs like he has a piano on his back and has zero arm or coordination, Manny was better out there. Maybe Schwarber? He can throw a little better than Yoshida but it looks uglier overall.

Yoshida’s bat makes up for it imo and I expect he can be even better next year hitting as he’ll be used to the grind but it really sucks having 3 DH’s and one DH slot

Devers with a clutch GIDP. Invisible member of the PPG says we can’t criticize tho

I don't see that at all.

Manny was better? OMG

As for Devers, he was definitely the goat last night. His two non-error errors hurt Paxton badly. He probably threw an extra 30 pitches because of them. Credited with 6 earned runs though with proper official scoring it should have been 3.

Seems like MLB is trying to eliminate errors altogether these days. May as well change wild pitches to steals while they are at it.

Reactions: CDJ

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
All I can say is that I'm laughing my ass off at this collapse by the Red Sox and watching people pointing the fingers at the guys who lead in WAR but don't want to acknowledge the piss poor spending in the past couple of offseasons on players not named Devers and Yoshida as well as the terrible trade deadlines as well, which everyone else in MLB are scratching their heads at. No one is mentioning Adam Duvall, Corey Kluber, Trevor Story, Raimel Tapia, Reese McGuire, Kaleb Ort, Cristian Arroyo, Enrique Hernandez, or Emmanuel Valdez's shortcomings. No one wants to mention how Bloom wanted to use IL returns as "trade deadline pieces" to sell to the Red Sox fan base because he was only able to get Luis Urias and nothing else. No one wants to talk about how it seems like this team wants to scapegoat Alex Cora because the front office doesn't want to take any responsibility for this team's failures. It's hilarious and I'm just enjoying the ride.

A one game collapse?

Poster was commenting on last night's game, in which Devers was their biggest problem.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't see that at all.

Manny was better? OMG

As for Devers, he was definitely the goat last night. His two non-error errors hurt Paxton badly. He probably threw an extra 30 pitches because of them. Credited with 6 earned runs though with proper official scoring it should have been 3.

Seems like MLB is trying to eliminate errors altogether these days. May as well change wild pitches to steals while they are at it.
He’s in the 26th percentile for running and 5th percentile in getting a jump on the ball. 6th percentile in outs above average. So he’s a bad runner who gets some of the worst beats on the ball in the league and doesn’t make plays he should be making. Eye test backs it up. Did you see how unathletic he looked in the 1st on that fly ball that Duvall/Verdugo probably easily catch? Manny at least knew how to do basic things like play balls off the monster

This is why I wouldn't have re-signed him to begin with. But the fanbase was ready to torch the owners for not being willing to pony up for their star-players. Neither X nor Devers were nor will be worth it long term, but they gave in.

Yoshida (whose brutal D was pretty accordingly reported by scouts) - despite being really good with the bat - is currently a 1 WAR player. Good luck being able to deal that. He'd have to be at around 2 WAR to be contract neutral. I can't see other GMs lining up to get him nor do I expect Bloom to deal him.

The only way you are getting any value out of him is by making him the permanent DH. Unfortunately, there is no other way. Turner has to be let go (but why not trade him to the Fish then?).

If they indeed try to pin this on the manager, the mission is destined to fail. Cora is gonna be the big winner out of this, one way or the other. He either wins the power struggle against Bloom or he gets ousted and immediately signs with another team, like the Yankees.
I think Yoshida is definitely moveable- especially with a universal DH- you’re just not going to get a premium package in return for that kind of player

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Poster was commenting on last night's game, in which Devers was their biggest problem.
If we're talking about the same poster my problem with them is the hypocrisy of dumping all over Bogaerts last year (led team in WAR by a big margin) and now doing the same to Devers this year (right at the top with Verdugo and Bello in WAR). Calling him an a-hole? Really? And this isn't a one game thing for this poster. It's a pattern of dumping on actual good players while scolding others and calling them members of a poopy pants gang (guess we're all back in 3rd grade) for being critical of the GM assembling some players that aren't that good. It's pathetic and doesn't make any sense at all.

I am curious though, we know by now the Story contract is a bad one. We all seem to like Yoshida as a hitter but he doesn't fit great on this beer league softball defensive unit. So was signing Yoshida a good move?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I've seen a few people now say they wouldn't have re-signed Devers because of his defense. Yet even with his bad defense this team would be toast without him. Finished. Dead. Battling the Yankees for last place. He's still an extreme value add as a hitter. That's why there is a DH spot. It's worked out nicely here before. The only option this offseason is to move him to DH and go from there.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
1. Try as hard as you can to find a taker for Chris Sale. Eat some salary, throw in a prospect (yes it's ok to trade a prospect)

2. Move Devers to DH

3. Is it an absolute certainty Turner opts out? The dude is gonna be 39. But let's say he does. As far as I know we don't have anybody in the organization ready to play 3B. So that probably means some more Chaim Bloom dumpster diving. But if the crystal ball forecasts Mayer up here in the next couple years to pair with Story in the middle infield how about investing in an actual good 3B. Looking at free agents that would be Matt Chapman. Is he good defensively? Worth the investment? I already know people are gonna say the contract he's gonna get won't be worth it at the end.

Scream it from the rooftops. And if advanced metrics could be used in favor of some middling player the poster would use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad