Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VII - White Sox clean out the front office

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Ben Cherington took over in 2019. They have had two 100 loss seasons and this year are a "resurgent" 55-68. With it being the Pirates I am curious how long he gets.
It’s a small market club. They don‘t have the ability to be a Top 6 payroll team, like the Sox have been for pretty much the last 20 years……

Lets shit on the Royals too while we’re at it, and then resume complaining about how the Sox are cheapskates, because they dropped out of the top 8 in payroll this year.…..

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
162 Game season. Like I said before, it happens. I'd wager Michael Hurley (whoever the f*** he is) hasn't gone 162 consecutive on good Twitter posts, either.

Love umpscorecards, mostly because it usually confirms my assumptions. I support any stats that show Angel Hernandez, Laz Diaz, Ron Kulpa, and CB Bucknor as some of the worst umps in baseball.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1692602813459.png

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It’s a small market club. They don‘t have the ability to be a Top 6 payroll team, like the Sox have been for pretty much the last 20 years……

Lets shit on the Royals too while we’re at it, and then resume complaining about how the Sox are cheapskates, because they dropped out of the top 8 in payroll this year.…..
Yes, I will gladly shit on teams that don't spend and then can't build a competent team on top of it. If you aren't gonna spend you can still be Tampa or Oakland back in the day etc. When you don't spend and suck ass year after year you should be called out. Otherwise what is the point of being in the professional sports industry? So the owner can line his pockets?

And ya the Red Sox should be crucified for having a mid tier payroll while being the most expensive gameday experience.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Should I not be happy with a team that's improved this year and is in a playoff race in late August?
I think you can be happy with where they are at, yes. I concede that point. But I also have no problem with those those who think they should be a little further along. Perhaps being a little more aggressive as a GM and you're a few games better. Or even smarter. For instance, not wasting how many starts on Corey Kluber? Acquiring a little more help at the deadline etc. Those moves could be done without crippling your highly rated farm system.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I'm not sure why trailing the Mariners and Blue Jays in the standings bothers you.

They're like the 6th and 7th-best teams in all of baseball right now.

do you find being out of the playoffs enjoyable in other sports? Like I said you can find happiness in the little things like good play from a prospect but shouldn't expect others to feel the same,

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm not sure why trailing the Mariners and Blue Jays in the standings bothers you.

They're like the 6th and 7th-best teams in all of baseball right now.
Idk which member of the PPG you’re talking to but I would counter by saying we’re ahead of the Mets and Padres, who they probably wish we acted like this past offseason lmao

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Should I not be happy with a team that's improved this year and is in a playoff race in late August?
Not sure is he’s a Red Sox fan but roots for them to lose because of their GM which really doesn’t make him a Red Sox fan by definition, or isn’t a Red Sox fan and is a Rays fan.

Interesting how Rangers fans wanted Gorton gone and now they want Drury gone - Montreal fans are bitching about Gorton already

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Not sure is he’s a Red Sox fan but roots for them to lose because of their GM which really doesn’t make him a Red Sox fan by definition, or isn’t a Red Sox fan and is a Rays fan.

Interesting how Rangers fans wanted Gorton gone and now they want Drury gone - Montreal fans are bitching about Gorton already

you can make up anything you want to deflect similar to the lecture on happiness but some of us just wont accept crumbs from the Sox, not with those ticket prices. How to cope and enjoy 4th place will never be a big seller in Boston

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
do you find being out of the playoffs enjoyable in other sports?
It depends on the circumstances.

The Red Sox are clearly partway through a multi-season rebuild. In my estimation, they're improving, but they're not far enough along to be considered serious contenders. And since I don't subscribe to the Veruca Salt "don't care how, I want it now" philosophy of team-building, the fact that they're improving makes me reasonably happy.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
do you find being out of the playoffs enjoyable in other sports? Like I said you can find happiness in the little things like good play from a prospect but shouldn't expect others to feel the same,
I'm with you. I don't understand the line of questioning about why being out of the playoffs bothers you.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
It depends on the circumstances.

The Red Sox are clearly partway through a multi-season rebuild. In my estimation, they're improving, but they're not far enough along to be considered serious contenders. And since I don't subscribe to the Veruca Salt "don't care how, I want it now" philosophy of team-building, the fact that they're improving makes me reasonably happy.

I think in all fanbases you run across fans that say you should be happy even if the team doesn't compete. When I lived in Montreal there were fans who expected championship hockey from the days of old but then they get shouted down by fans who are happy with never winning anything and celebrate the little things.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Idk which member of the PPG you’re talking to but I would counter by saying we’re ahead of the Mets and Padres, who they probably wish we acted like this past offseason lmao

And how about that other team from NY?

Yes, I will gladly shit on teams that don't spend and then can't build a competent team on top of it. If you aren't gonna spend you can still be Tampa or Oakland back in the day etc. When you don't spend and suck ass year after year you should be called out. Otherwise what is the point of being in the professional sports industry? So the owner can line his pockets?

And ya the Red Sox should be crucified for having a mid tier payroll while being the most expensive gameday experience.

Better than spending excessively and sucking like a number of other teams.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I think in all fanbases you run across fans that say you should be happy even if the team doesn't compete. When I lived in Montreal there were fans who expected championship hockey from the days of old but then they get shouted down by fans who are happy with never winning anything and celebrate the little things.
When did I say that fans should be happy with never winning anything?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Better than spending excessively and sucking like a number of other teams.
I don't see how it's better. At least the Mets and Padres are still interesting/relevant. They are making more of an attempt to win baseball games. The absolute worst franchises in any sport are the ones that don't spend, suck, and then whine about how they can't compete.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't see how it's better. At least the Mets and Padres are still interesting/relevant. They are making more of an attempt to win baseball games. The absolute worst franchises in any sport are the ones that don't spend, suck, and then whine about how they can't compete.

Really? In what way?

The Sox are 8 games over .500. Better than all the teams in the AL Central.

Padres are 7 games under .500, Mets 11 games under. Sox are significantly better than both of them.
And twice as interesting as either of them.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Really? In what way?

The Sox are 8 games over .500. Better than all the teams in the AL Central.

Padres are 7 games under .500, Mets 11 games under. Sox are significantly better than both of them.
And twice as interesting as either of them.

well oakland and kc don't spend, how are they doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad