Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VII - White Sox clean out the front office

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
As I have said in the past, the Angels always find a way to screw up a good thing. This will just be another footnote in their history of doing that.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Hmmmmm.....wonder what happened to that guy ????

from espn.com:

The last player to debut this early in his drafted season was Chris Sale, who came up Aug. 6, 2010 -- about two months after the draft, which was moved to July in recent years. Schanuel's ascent is even more rapid, although it does align with Los Angeles' philosophy of aggressive promotions.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
With pitchers I can sort of understand it- like I’m of the opinion the pirates need to start Skenes in the bigs next year, so I get wanting to be aggressive with pitching before their arm explodes

Doing it with a hitter is very interesting to me. If I had to guess it won’t go great. But he did have like 71 BB and 13 K’s in college this year so he’s wildly advanced as a hitter

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
In fairness he's a 21 year old who played high level college ball. It's not as if they drafted an 18 year old high schooler and threw him to the wolves. Still an aggressive move though.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Over my baseball mind, Mike.

If you have some free time they're all very interesting stories about guys whose rushed development ended up ruining their careers. The David Clyde stuff is sort of crazy because he was only brought in as a novelty, but he pitched great right off the bat so they kept him up to sell more tickets. Sad story of greed getting in the way of a young person's career.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
If you have some free time they're all very interesting stories about guys whose rushed development ended up ruining their careers. The David Clyde stuff is sort of crazy because he was only brought in as a novelty, but he pitched great right off the bat so they kept him up to sell more tickets. Sad story of greed getting in the way of a young person's career.
I find it interesting that you included Pete Incaviglia on your list. I was working for the Rangers back in the late 80s when he broke into the majors and I don't think he was rushed at all. He was a .250 hitter, who hit 20-30 HRs per year his first 4 seasons, on some pretty awful Rangers teams. Those kind of numbers in today's analytics game, will get you paid handsomely.

Yeah, he was a train wreck in the outfield and his strikeouts were always high, but he definitely belonged in the big leagues. How'd he make your list? I'm intrigued.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I find it interesting that you included Pete Incaviglia on your list. I was working for the Rangers back in the late 80s when he broke into the majors and I don't think he was rushed at all. He was a .250 hitter, who hit 20-30 HRs per year his first 4 seasons, on some pretty awful Rangers teams. Those kind of numbers in today's analytics game, will get you paid handsomely.
He was drafted by the Expos ( 8th overall in 1985 ) but let it be known that he would not sign with Montreal so he was traded to Texas for scraps a few months later. :(

Last edited:

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
He was drafted by the Expos ( 8th overall in 1985 ) but let it be known that he would not sign with Montreal so he was traded to Texas for scraps a few months later. :(
I'm aware of that, but I don't see how it jives with the argument that his career was impacted by being rushed to the Majors. That's all...

I remember him when he played at Oklahoma St. Probably was one of the best pure power hitters in College Baseball history. I was playing HS Baseball in Texas at the time and he was awesome to watch.

Quick story: I remember back in 87-88 timeframe, the Rangers were hosting the A's and after batting practice, before we took down the cages, Mark McGwire, Canseco, Rueben Sierra and Incaviglia all came out for an impromptu Home Run Derby. Each of them got 10 pitches and they were crushing pitches on a rope into the outfield bleachers. In those days, Arlington Stadium had aluminum benches with aluminum seat backs in the bleachers, and I can remember hearing those balls slam off those seat backs and echoing through the entire stadium. Never seen anything like it. No idea what the Exit Velo was, but they were smoking the ball.

Reactions: sarge88

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

I'm aware of that, but I don't see how it jives with the argument that his career was impacted by being rushed to the Majors. That's all...
It's got nothing to do with the argument about getting rushed to the majors -it's just that anytime I hear his name I remember what happened in Montreal. :nod:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Yeah, he was a train wreck in the outfield and his strikeouts were always high, but he definitely belonged in the big leagues. How'd he make your list? I'm intrigued.

He was a comet who never really lived up to his abilities, all because he never got a chance to actually develop any sort of plate discipline. Not saying he was a total disaster or worst case scenario, but I do think he's a cautionary tale. I mean, he was done at 30. This covers it pretty well:

As for Incaviglia’s career, he mashed 30 homers as a 22-year-old Rangers rookie in ’86 and topped the 20-homer mark each of his next four seasons, too. Strikeouts, however, proved problematic, as he whiffed almost 157 times on average in his first five years, leading MLB in the category twice in that span. Incaviglia hit 206 long balls in 12 big league seasons, but fell off dramatically right when he should have been reaching his peak and finished with a .246/.310/.448 line.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
He was a comet who never really lived up to his abilities, all because he never got a chance to actually develop any sort of plate discipline. Not saying he was a total disaster or worst case scenario, but I do think he's a cautionary tale. I mean, he was done at 30. This covers it pretty well:

As for Incaviglia’s career, he mashed 30 homers as a 22-year-old Rangers rookie in ’86 and topped the 20-homer mark each of his next four seasons, too. Strikeouts, however, proved problematic, as he whiffed almost 157 times on average in his first five years, leading MLB in the category twice in that span. Incaviglia hit 206 long balls in 12 big league seasons, but fell off dramatically right when he should have been reaching his peak and finished with a .246/.310/.448 line.
Fair enough.

Personal best today, BTW....Totally lucked out on the Rockies-Nats guess.
1692395294792.png

Reactions: EverettMike

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Dear Apple TV

Red Sox/NYY is a lot of things but it is NOT baseball's OLDEST rivalry

NOT EVEN CLOSE

Status
Not open for further replies.