Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VI: Hunt for the Wild Card is on

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
JT's opting out isn't he? How are we going to move him?
Oh I have no idea if he is opting out. I didn't even know there was an opt out. I just thought it was a two year deal. Problem solved then. Because Devers can't continue at 3rd. It's time to switch him to DH.

LHP

to Cora this is their ideal lineup against LHP

which is f***in stupid because his best player isn’t in it
Devers is in the lineup

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This Verdugo thing is one of the weirdest Sox personnel situations I can remember. They've had malcontents before, but they were public malcontents (Manny, Jay Payton, etc.). But not only was Verdugo's benching kind of out of nowhere, they're very hush-hush about it and we only have traces of rumors about it.

He had problems in LA also and was benched last year for dogging it.

Nothing out of the blue here.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
LHP

to Cora this is their ideal lineup against LHP

which is f***in stupid because his best player isn’t in it

Probably yeah, he can secure another multi-year deal. I bet the Sox will have the opportunity to keep him if they want to, they just may have issues with wanting to do it with Yoshida/Devers both ideally being DH’s

Not really because Casas (.204) is in it.

Devers has a higher average against lefties (.293).

Wong is the real oddball. Hitting .148 against lefties, .265 against right-handers.

Verdugo a .230 hitter against lefties and a sulking pita currently.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Huge and thank god that Whitlock is going back to the pen. Keep him there please. Forever. He’s just a weapon when he’s there. Wish he had starter durability but it isn’t there.

Trevor Story back tomorrow, Sale pitching on Friday

So Chang or Reyes to be DFAd. I believe Reyes to be the better player.

I truly hope they DFA Chang. Thanks for the help but he offers absolutely nothing at the plate. He should clear waivers like Arroyo did so if he wants to stick around, awesome.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Not really because Casas (.204) is in it.

Devers has a higher average against lefties (.293).

Wong is the real oddball. Hitting .148 against lefties, .265 against right-handers.

Verdugo a .230 hitter against lefties and a sulking pita currently.
Don’t rly care about Casas overall average against them when he has a .361 OBP against them, especially when that average is further skewed by his slow first month. He should not be a platoon player.

his first at-bat has been the best hit ball all game.

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Terrible defense all over the field...Urias, Casas, Devers

Youkilis is so, so bad at this

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Youkilis just gets paid to be the nesn kool-aid guy. Sounded like he was afraid admitting that it looked like the guy at 3rd got his sliding glove in their before Devers got him out.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
It's players like Casas that make me wonder if talent evaluators / scouts are actually watching prospects play instead of just running with the stuff they've read or been told from another souce.

How could the guy be labeled as a potential better than average 1B? I mean, it's perfectly fine that Red Sox near guys are pumping the tires of their prospects, but how do neutral journalists fall for it? He's one of the worst 1B I have seen in a long time. Easily bottom of the league. He can work his way to being somehow fringe average, but you probably need the imagination of a Tolkien to picture him as a solid defender.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It's players like Casas that make me wonder if talent evaluators / scouts are actually watching prospects play instead of just running with the stuff they've read or been told from another souce.

How could the guy be labeled as a potential better than average 1B? I mean, it's perfectly fine that Red Sox near guys are pumping the tires of their prospects, but how do neutral journalists fall for it? He's one of the worst 1B I have seen in a long time. Easily bottom of the league. He can work his way to being somehow fringe average, but you probably need the imagination of a Tolkien to picture him as a solid defender.
The range is the entire issue defensively. Verdugo did a good job improving his this off-season, Casas will need to dedicate in a similar way. He’s never gonna have great range with his size but some of these balls he needs to be getting to…Or at least knock them down

To answer your question about what national prospect evaluators saw- I think they like his soft hands and he has a really good arm (just doesn’t need to use it at his position). They definitely didn’t make note of the range being this poor though

If you saw the Pelosi draft thread you know how much I put into national rankings- I don’t think these guys have enough time in the day to make proper evaluations on all these players. There are so many dang minor league baseball players lol

It’s nice to see how your team looks from a national perspective but I certainly don’t take them as gospel. Typically the billion dollar operations are gonna have more insight than them.

The funny thing to me is that the soxprospects guys are usually more pessimistic than the national outlets are

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Getting his ERA down to 8 means he got some runners out. Can only improve from there 🤣

Teel has a chance to pass up Mayer on our prospects list. He is going to move fast in my opinion.

If he does that would say more about Mayer. I don't follow this stuff at all because prospect talk is generally boring. But is Mayer sliding or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad