Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off-Season - Red Sox-Yankees trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Agree. Crazy to think that teams play 13 games in 14 days for 6 months, then have a week off before their first playoff game.
I posted on this forum earlier, that I thought the first round bye (4-7 day layoff) followed up with the best of 5 Division Series isn't much (if any) of an advantage to the division winners affected by it. It IS an advantage in that you can get your rotation set and bullpen rested, but offensively, I think it hurts you in that first game back. In a best of 5, winning that first game has a much bigger impact than in a 7 game series. I think the Division Series should be 7, and that's what ownership originally wanted.

Its important to remember though, that the Players Association are the ones who shot that idea down, because they didn't want the extra games. Making the WC series a best of 3, came at the expense of the Division Series. Personally, I don't think 2 extra games is that big of a deal, but the Players Association obviously disagrees, so what do I know.....My guess is that they are holding that idea up, to gain concessions with ownership elsewhere.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I'm shocked to find out that people don't want to be the CBO for a team whose ownership group will make most of the key personnel decisions and then fire the CBO if things don't work out.

Also, the manager that ownership says the new boss has to keep has openly stated that at some point down the road, he wants to be the boss.

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Did ownership cause Chaim Bloom to botch consecutive trade deadlines? Sign Kluber? Bring in Turner and Yoshida so that you have a team full of DHs?

The Cora thing I get though. Not sure if it still is but there was a trend in NFL where the big hire would be the coach and then the coach basically hires someone he's comfortable with as GM.

I don't need some dork off the assembly line. You wanna try a Cora/Romero partnership? Go for it. But the end results should come back to Cora now. No more excuses.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

IMG_2165.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 24giovanni

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Did ownership cause Chaim Bloom to botch consecutive trade deadlines? Sign Kluber? Bring in Turner and Yoshida so that you have a team full of DHs?

The Cora thing I get though. Not sure if it still is but there was a trend in NFL where the big hire would be the coach and then the coach basically hires someone he's comfortable with as GM.

I don't need some dork off the assembly line. You wanna try a Cora/Romero partnership? Go for it. But the end results should come back to Cora now. No more excuses.
I wasn't really defending Bloom.

I just don't understand bringing in someone to run Baseball Operations, and then not giving that person full autonomy to decide who should or shouldn't be part of the organization.

Because not giving the new person complete autonomy leads to crap like this:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I wasn't really defending Bloom.

I just don't understand bringing in someone to run Baseball Operations, and then not giving that person full autonomy to decide who should or shouldn't be part of the organization.

Because not giving the new person complete autonomy leads to crap like this:

You might know this, but who is actually leading the search from the Red Sox? I can't see John Henry and Tom Werner doing the leg work on that. I can see them interviewing/signing off on a guy. Is Cora leading the search? Sam Kennedy? To call this job unattractive given the state of the farm system, money to spend and the fact fans are simply looking for you to not come in last place/have consecutive losing seasons something is not right here. So if John Henry woke up from his afternoon nap and concluded Alex Cora is doing us more harm than good than move on from Cora today. The Red Sox will be just fine without Alex Cora as the manager.

Reactions: 24giovanni

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
As many of you know, I'm not a Red Sox fan. I'm basically agnostic when it comes to the Sox. On a personal level, I'm not an Alex Cora fan, but that's just me. So my question to Sox fans is this:

Why the reluctance on just cutting Alex Cora loose? What's so special about him that ownership would potentially delay or impede a new CBO hire? From my perspective he's a decent manager, but easily replaceable.....

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Why the reluctance on just cutting Alex Cora loose? What's so special about him that ownership would potentially delay or impede a new CBO hire? From my perspective he's a decent manager, but easily replaceable.....
I truly don't get the sense fans are the ones driving this. I don't think there is some great connection to Cora where fans would be outraged if he was fired. Most understand the concept of hire a lead baseball guy and let them decide on the manager. It's really Sam Kennedy/ownership who are fascinated with Cora. Without being there behind the scenes I couldn't tell you what they think separates him from any other baseball manager.

Reactions: sarge88

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
Maybe so but seeing their park on a gamenight is incredible. They might be neanderthals but they care. And it's a fun watch. Ya know, sorta like when the Red Sox were good at baseball.
they definitely got the best crowd in baseball at the momeent. its amazing

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Ten years ago today was game 2 of the 2013 ALCS with Papi's grand slam

I just skim-watched the game on youtube. Things I totally forgot:
- Mike Carp started that game at first and batted behind Papi (announcers were saying Napoli had bad numbers against Scherzer)
- Scherzer had a no hitter broken up with two out in the 6th
- That Tigers lineup was great, like legit one of the most fearsome of the decade. Maybe the best core to not win a title in like 30 years.
- Farrell left Buchholz out there way too long to get tagged for homers by Miggy and Avila when he was gassed after 5 innings
- Jim Leyland used four pitchers in that 8th inning, which is striking considering I'm used to the new 3 batter rule
- TBQH, Torii should've caught that. He overran the ball on his way to the bullpen.
- Koji might be my favorite Red Sox reliever of all time
- Prince Fielder made two piss poor defensive efforts in the 9th inning that probably cost the Tigers the game - first he made no effort to get a glove on Iglesias's throw that was slightly up the line, allowing it to go into the dugout and advance Gomes to second. Then he flat out dropped a foul pop-up at the lip of the stands on Saltalamacchia's AB, tried to protest for fan interference but replays showed he just boxed it up. Salty proceeded to knock Gomes in on a single after a wild pitch moved him to third
- Future Red Sox starter Rick Porcello was the tough luck loser in the game, basically giving up two dinky infield singles compounded by Fielder's defense
- At one point Tim McCarver suggests that Dave Dombrowski was on the shortlist to succeed Bud Selig as commissioner
- Joe Buck repeatedly makes reference to the Patriots game earlier that day where Tom Brady found Kenbrell Thompkins for a game winning touchdown with 5 seconds left against New Orleans. What a difference ten years makes in terms of the Pats vs. Saints...
- 10 years doesn't seem like that long ago but the Fox overlay graphics look really outdated

I'll have to re-watch games 3 and 6 later. That was a great series of baseball tbqh.

Reactions: dabid

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Ten years ago today was game 2 of the 2013 ALCS with Papi's grand slam

I just skim-watched the game on youtube. Things I totally forgot:
- Mike Carp started that game at first and batted behind Papi (announcers were saying Napoli had bad numbers against Scherzer)
- Scherzer had a no hitter broken up with two out in the 6th
- That Tigers lineup was great, like legit one of the most fearsome of the decade. Maybe the best core to not win a title in like 30 years.
- Farrell left Buchholz out there way too long to get tagged for homers by Miggy and Avila when he was gassed after 5 innings
- Jim Leyland used four pitchers in that 8th inning, which is striking considering I'm used to the new 3 batter rule
- TBQH, Torii should've caught that. He overran the ball on his way to the bullpen.
- Koji might be my favorite Red Sox reliever of all time
- Prince Fielder made two piss poor defensive efforts in the 9th inning that probably cost the Tigers the game - first he made no effort to get a glove on Iglesias's throw that was slightly up the line, allowing it to go into the dugout and advance Gomes to second. Then he flat out dropped a foul pop-up at the lip of the stands on Saltalamacchia's AB, tried to protest for fan interference but replays showed he just boxed it up. Salty proceeded to knock Gomes in on a single after a wild pitch moved him to third
- Future Red Sox starter Rick Porcello was the tough luck loser in the game, basically giving up two dinky infield singles compounded by Fielder's defense
- At one point Tim McCarver suggests that Dave Dombrowski was on the shortlist to succeed Bud Selig as commissioner
- Joe Buck repeatedly makes reference to the Patriots game earlier that day where Tom Brady found Kenbrell Thompkins for a game winning touchdown with 5 seconds left against New Orleans. What a difference ten years makes in terms of the Pats vs. Saints...
- 10 years doesn't seem like that long ago but the Fox overlay graphics look really outdated

I'll have to re-watch games 3 and 6 later. That was a great series of baseball tbqh.
We had no business beating that tigers team. Not only was that lineup great but that rotation was money too. Bullpen was their weak spot and it’s what killed them.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
We had no business beating that tigers team. Not only was that lineup great but that rotation was money too. Bullpen was their weak spot and it’s what killed them.

I'd say the 90s Indians are the only non WS winning line up with a claim of being better...Baerga, Thome, Belle, Murray, Lofton, Manny

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
All the Red Sox can do is go in-house and regain some of the reputation they used to have.

I think what's giving other executives pause is how they handled the Dombrowski-situation (not Bloom). The guy did everything he was asked to do (and on top had one of the best seasons in RS-history), but was immediately fired after making a few mistakes. If I was a GM, I'd prefer job security over any specific job as well.

Again: The best solution would be going with someone who knows the team, system and has ties with Cora. Eddie Romero works.

If the Red Sox don't spend this off-season, I am going to pretend that I am done with them until Spring Training comes around and I'll be back. Seriously, they have lots of work to do to become a legit player in Boston. The other franchises are ahead. It's not an impossible feat, MLB ratings and audience was up by about 10% on average, only the Red Sox and one or two other teams regressed.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah at this point Eddie Romero is my guy too

That's not necessarily a bad thing....
the rangers had a pretty good stretch under him, he’d have more money to play with here

Not that he’d be a dynamite A+ hire or anything, I’d have been ok with him though

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
You might know this, but who is actually leading the search from the Red Sox? I can't see John Henry and Tom Werner doing the leg work on that. I can see them interviewing/signing off on a guy. Is Cora leading the search? Sam Kennedy? To call this job unattractive given the state of the farm system, money to spend and the fact fans are simply looking for you to not come in last place/have consecutive losing seasons something is not right here. So if John Henry woke up from his afternoon nap and concluded Alex Cora is doing us more harm than good than move on from Cora today. The Red Sox will be just fine without Alex Cora as the manager.
My understanding is that Sam Kennedy is spearheading the search.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
My understanding is that Sam Kennedy is spearheading the search.
If this is the case then maybe ownership should be looking at Cora AND Sam Kennedy. Blow them both out if you have to. If Sam Kennedy is running the Red Sox he has done a piss poor job of it.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Why would they?

This org can't pick a direction. They don't stick with guys they've hired. They're forcing the incoming GM to inherit all of baseball ops, and a manager.
I know. It's just sad to see how much this franchise has fallen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad