Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off-Season - Red Sox-Yankees trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I mean, I guess that's one way of looking at things.

Another way is that he gave $175 million guaranteed to a nearly 31 year-old pitcher who just posted near career lows in fastball velocity, exit velocity, FIP, ERA+, and OPS allowed.
And he wouldn't have gotten it elsewhere? This is my only real problem with people who look at it like you. These guys are gonna be overpaid regardless.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I mean, I guess that's one way of looking at things.

Another way is that he gave $175 million guaranteed to a nearly 31 year-old pitcher who just posted near career lows in fastball velocity, exit velocity, FIP, ERA+, and OPS allowed.
I am aware he has been declining for two years, but is still a very good pitcher. Dave D does not miss much. My prediction is that the Sox sign Montgomery and trade Verdugo for another pitcher. I am not going out on the limb with either prediction. I don't love it, but that's the lay of the land.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
And he wouldn't have gotten it elsewhere? This is my only real problem with people who look at it like you. These guys are gonna be overpaid regardless.
The fact that there are several teams that are willing to commit hundreds of millions of dollars to a 30+ year old pitcher with multiple red flags doesn't suddenly make it a good idea.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
This will be an important week for the Red Sox.
We need to land at least one 1-3 guy in the rotation, lets gets AV or JD traded as we do not need both, get another SP.
Sign Garver to a deal.
Sign a right handed hitting OF with power.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

I mean other teams were apparently talking to Nola and offering him more money then he ended up signing for. Hardly think that Nola choosing to stay in Philly makes Dombrowski some genius that's purposefully setting the market early.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 11.25.37 AM.png

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The fact that there are several teams that are willing to commit hundreds of millions of dollars to a 30+ year old pitcher with multiple red flags doesn't suddenly make it a good idea.
To you it doesn't. But again that is how things work in professional sports. When multiple teams are interested in the payer the cost goes up and most times it ends up being a "bad" contract. You can still put together a good team and win. I'm sure you will look at whatever Ohtani gets and say it's a bad contract.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I mean other teams were apparently talking to Nola and offering him more money then he ended up signing for. Hardly think that Nola choosing to stay in Philly makes Dombrowski some genius that's purposefully setting the market early.
I wish Boston was a place where star players took less money to stay with the Red Sox

Reactions: quietbruinfan

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
FWIW, reports out of Japan indicate that Yamamoto received 10-15 offers in the hours after he was posted.

Article says he does not have a West Coast preference, but that he does want to play on a team with fellow Japanese players. He expects to make a decision after the December 3rd GM meetings.

As for Shota Imanaga...

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

Brockstar is one of the guests in this episode and he's great. Some of his gems ...

"That's right, I was traded by the Pirates. I forgot I played for the Pirates."

"DeGrom throws hard, but it's easy. I hit a home run off of him, so it couldn't have been that hard."

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
FWIW, reports out of Japan indicate that Yamamoto received 10-15 offers in the hours after he was posted.

Article says he does not have a West Coast preference, but that he does want to play on a team with fellow Japanese players. He expects to make a decision after the December 3rd GM meetings.

As for Shota Imanaga...

Here's the link for those who are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad