Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off-Season - Red Sox-Yankees trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Please tell me we're talking Matt and not Aroldis. I am IN on Matt Chapman. I don't care about the current roster configuration. You put him at 3rd, Devers DH, Casas 1B. Try unloading Yoshida if it makes sense.

This is such a weird trade for a guy who sucked last year. I don't think I have ever heard of a 5 player swap for a middling reliver. What gives with this trade? Gotta be something I am missing.
Agreed, he has never impressed me and Soroka was decent when he began, and before he hurt his arm. Maybe the Braves want a lefty reliever and look at the rest as a salary dump/spring cleaning.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think a lot is Soroka has missed 2 straight seasons and did not look good in the majors upon return. Now, how much of that is who Soroka is now vs. just trying to shake off some rust?

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 3.58.58 PM.png

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think the deciding factor in where Ohtani ends up will be based on how he gets used as a pitcher. My guess is that Ohtani is going to want to continue to be a regular starting pitcher, and if I'm an owner/GM of a club spending 100s of millions of dollars to get him, I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable with putting him on the mound every 5th day and playing him at DH/OF the other 4.

Given his arm issues, and his workload, I'd want assurances that he'd be willing to agree to missing every other start and go on a 7-10 day schedule. I think you gotta manage his workload, but I'm not so sure he'd be willing to agree to that as a condition to signing him.
I don't know the baseball CBA too well, but I'm sure Shohei can leverage his pitching use into his contract so a team can't make him promises and then by year 2 decide to shut him down and make him only DH, whether it's inserting a certain minimum of innings pitched or games started per year from 2025 onward to trigger option years or something.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Urias we hardly knew ye, but getting an ok pitching prospect for the likes him is good. Woodruff is interesting. I am tired of talented but injured pitchers, but he is worth signing I think...It is almost the exact same situation as Paxton, but I am willing to take the chance. I am surprised the Tigers released Turnbull as well. It is going to be an interesting off season where pitching is concerned. We will see what Breslow and company can make of it. So far their target seems to be Jordan Montgomery. I don't care for that. He is out of shape and very average, but we shall see what happens.

Last edited:

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Urias we hardly knew ye, but getting an ok pitching prospect for the likes him is good. Woodruff is interesting. I am tired of talented but injured pitchers, but he is worth signing I think...It is almost the exact same situation as Paxton, but I am willing to take the chance. I am surprised the Tigers released Turnbull as well. It is going to be an interesting off season where pitching is concerned. We will see what Breslow and company can make of it. So far their target seems to be Jordan Montgomery. I don't care for that. He is out of shape and very average, but we shall see what happens.
Woodruff won’t be available for the 2024 season, but when healthy, he’s a legit ace. All depends on the prognosis from his surgery, but he’s definitely worth taking a chance on if a full recovery is expected.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Woodruff won’t be available for the 2024 season, but when healthy, he’s a legit ace. All depends on the prognosis from his surgery, but he’s definitely worth taking a chance on if a full recovery is expected.
I know an executive that would be salivating to sign someone for 2025 when the 2024 team needs all the help it can get!

I have been curious if Ohtani not being able to pitch this year and the overall uncertainty of him as a pitcher going forward would impact the contract he gets in a significant way. Of course baseball has gotten free agency all wrong as nothing happens and things just linger forever. Maybe we'll find out a day before spring training.

As for Woodruff, what type of contract is he expected to get now? And what type of team is gonna go for the guy who is out for the season? I am fascinated to see what happens there. It would seem that the current good teams would be best suited to take that gamble. He's from Mississippi. Maybe teams like the Astros, Rangers and Braves would make sense.

Reactions: quietbruinfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad