Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off-Season - Red Sox-Yankees trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
If the Sox had dipped below the threshold, they would have received picks 70 and 71 in the 2023 draft for Bogey and Nate. Since they were over, they received 133 and 134. That's the equivalent of about two rounds of players. They also lost out on $1 million in bonus pool money.
Understood. And I'm not saying those criticisms weren't valid.

I just think it's hypocritical for fans to criticize them for not spending enough, then turn around and also criticize them for going over the threshhold.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

I just think it's hypocritical for fans to criticize them for not spending enough, then turn around and also criticize them for going over the threshhold.
Absolutely agree. I was adding to your point that there are more considerations than simply the reluctance of going over the CBT than money.

Reactions: GatorMike

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Was watching college hockey last night and never checked after I saw Arizona was up 5-3 in the 8th. Winning a game like the Rangers did is very anti Texas Rangers. Historically you'd expect them to be the ones to gag the 5-3 lead. Wish I saw it live now!

Are we talking about the completely bungled deadline which caused them to stay over the tax? Were we supposed to be happy that they middled it and stayed above the tax during a lost season?

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Were we supposed to be happy that they middled it and stayed above the tax during a lost season?
I don't care if people are happy or not. I just want them to be consistent.

If you're banging the drum about how ownership isn't spending enough money to win, then you can't also complain about the compensatory draft picks and the loss of bonus pool money, because that's what you're advocating for.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

If you're banging the drum about how ownership isn't spending enough money to win, then you can't also complain about the compensatory draft picks and the loss of bonus pool money, because that's what you're advocating for.
Sorry but it's not hypocritical to get on them for being over the tax when they had a chance to avoid it at a trade deadline. That's different than going into a season. They could have added pieces but to middle it, stay above the tax and not add anything...that was a debacle.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I need this dude to throw a complete game. Just to show that it is still possible for a starting pitcher to do it and in the WS.

Reactions: Mione134

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Kelley pitched a gem tonight. On to Arizona.

This Diamondback team reminds me a lot of those 1980s Whitey Herzog Cardinal teams..

I’ve seen more SAC bunts these past 2 games than I’ve seen in the past 2 years…..and I think that’s a good thing.

Last edited:

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

I think it's fair criticism because it looks that the Red Sox are a rudderless organization at the moment. They can't pick a direction. They want to have their cake and eat it too because they want to justify their high ticket prices while not spending to the capability everyone knows they can given the resources that ownership has.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I think it's fair criticism because it looks that the Red Sox are a rudderless organization at the moment. They can't pick a direction. They want to have their cake and eat it too because they want to justify their high ticket prices while not spending to the capability everyone knows they can given the resources that ownership has.
My issue in this discussion was this idea that Red Sox fans can't complain about them staying above the tax in a season where they were like a .500 team and added nothing at the deadline/traded Vazquez. If that's gonna be your approach in a lost season why are you staying above the tax? They could have and should have gotten under the tax if they made a determination that they weren't going to add anything. It's perfectly reasonable to evaluate every situation differently.

But in general if they want to keep charging the most in baseball and increasing prices then that should be reflected in the payroll. It should be a top 5 payroll team. Not in the 10-15 range like we saw this year. But that is also going into a season. If the team stinks then by all means trade off whatever salary you can at the trade deadline.

Reactions: Mr Cartmenez

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Kelley pitched a gem tonight. On to Arizona.

This Diamondback team reminds me a lot of those 1980s Whitey Herzog Cardinal teams..

I’ve seen more SAC bunts these past 2 games than I’ve seen in the past 2 years…..and I think that’s a good thing.
Here I thought Kelly was some youngish guy the DBacks developed but this morning I read he's a 35 year old "nobody" who was pitching in South Korea at one point. What a story.

Reactions: sarge88

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

I feel you think things through before you post.

I just really struggle trying to understand what you are defending

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 3.54.18 PM.png

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
MLB local market ratings for 2023 regular-season*
TEAMRSNMARKET20232022% +/-
RangersBally Sports SouthwestDallas-Ft. Worth1.410.7199%
PiratesAT&T SportsNet
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh4.212.4572%
OriolesMASNBaltimore4.232.5665%
RedsBally Sports OhioCincinnati4.742.8765%
CubsMarquee Sports
Network
Chicago2.161.6134%
TwinsBally Sports NorthMinneapolis-
St. Paul
3.312.4734%
PhilliesNBC Sports PhiladelphiaPhiladelphia5.494.2330%
D-backsMLB**Phoenix1.251.0025%
RaysBally Sports SunTampa-St. Pete3.182.5525%
BravesBally Sports
South/Southeast
Atlanta3.432.9018%
MarinersRoot Sports NorthwestSeattle-Tacoma3.663.1417%
MarlinsBally Sports FloridaMiami-
Ft. Lauderdale
0.750.6614%
BrewersBally Sports WisconsinMilwaukee5.194.6512%
AngelsBally Sports WestL.A.0.900.838%
RockiesAT&T SportsNet
Rocky Mountain
Denver0.900.856%
NationalsMASND.C.0.850.815%
TigersBally Sports DetroitDetroit2.562.522%
Red SoxNESNBoston2.672.670%
GuardiansBally Sports Great LakesCleveland-Akron3.853.87-1%
PadresMLB**San Diego4.134.45-7%
AstrosAT&T SportsNet
Southwest
Houston3.794.20-10%
GiantsNBC Sports Bay AreaS.F.-Oakland-
San Jose
2.102.47-15%
DodgersSportsNet L.A.L.A.1.772.12-17%
A'sNBC Sports CaliforniaS.F.-Oakland-
San Jose
0.360.47-23%
YankeesYES NetworkN.Y.2.232.99-25%
MetsSNYN.Y.1.732.36-27%
CardinalsBally Sports MidwestSt. Louis5.307.28-27%
RoyalsBally Sports
Kansas City
K.C.2.603.72-30%
White SoxNBC Sports ChicagoChicago0.991.69-41%
NOTES: * = Toronto market not measured for the Blue Jays. Games this season are measured through Sept. 25, with comparisons to the same number of games in 2022. ** = Game inventory reverted to MLB, which negotiated local TV deals for the teams.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Clear cache/cookies to access.

I am not a baseball fan, and used to resent the primacy of the Red Sox among Boston's "three sport media," but rooting for the impressive and intriguing Breslow,

Reactions: Mione134
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad