Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off-Season - Red Sox-Yankees trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Two exciting young teams, new blood going to the sseries. It should be good, but honestly given the markets, the lack of identifiable superstars, the aesthetics of the indoor ballparks, the nature of broadcasting and streaming entertainment, etc., I'm 100% sure this is going to be the lowest rated World Series in recorded history. I'll still follow it. I'd like Texas to win, they deserve it for what they went through in 2011.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA

Good stuff from The Athletic's Chad Jennings on Breslow:

According to multiple people with knowledge of the process, Breslow was the only candidate to receive a second interview. He’s been described as a favorite of Red Sox ownership from the very beginning, and — perhaps not coincidentally — also a favorite of former Red Sox GM Theo Epstein, whose opinion still carries weight in the organization and who has long touted Breslow’s potential as an executive...
...He’s never run a baseball operations department, which leaves some elements of his leadership style unknown, though people in the Cubs organization have noted that Breslow was involved in aspects beyond pitching. He worked with their farm system, their draft room, their big-league coaching staff, and helped with free-agent negotiations.

Reactions: Gordoff

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Good stuff from The Athletic's Chad Jennings on Breslow:

According to multiple people with knowledge of the process, Breslow was the only candidate to receive a second interview. He’s been described as a favorite of Red Sox ownership from the very beginning, and — perhaps not coincidentally — also a favorite of former Red Sox GM Theo Epstein, whose opinion still carries weight in the organization and who has long touted Breslow’s potential as an executive...
...He’s never run a baseball operations department, which leaves some elements of his leadership style unknown, though people in the Cubs organization have noted that Breslow was involved in aspects beyond pitching. He worked with their farm system, their draft room, their big-league coaching staff, and helped with free-agent negotiations.
"Breslow was the only candidate to receive a second interview."

Because everyone else turned them down! :laugh:

Who in the front office handed Chad Jennings this prewritten puff piece?

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Says a lot about an ownership when they are a big market team, get turned down by multiple candidates and now have to settle for someone who hasn’t agreed yet

And none of it is good.

Baseball execs should be pounding down the door wanting to run this franchise- a big market team with an amazing history playing in an iconic venue that draws fans from the 6 New England states & beyond. Instead because of lousy ownership this is what happens.

:(

I wish the new guy every success but he's got his work cut out for him having to contend with Henry, Werner & Co plus the most demanding fan base in sports breathing down his neck to field a winning team. He should buy stock in Maalox, he's going to need lots of it.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
In the end I don't really care if it's Craig Breslow or Harry Schmedlap. If you have half a clue it's not a difficult job. You have more resources than most teams and if the hyped farm system is legit you should be able to turn this team into a contender within two years. No, I don't want to hear any more garbage about how it's ok if the Red Sox endure a 5 year rebuild on the path to sustainability. The two teams in the WS lost over 100 games each in 2021. This extended grace period sanctimonious people in the baseball industry think Chaim Bloom should have gotten is not reality.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I was underwhelmed by all the candidates being tossed around so pretty happy if it’s Breslow. Played here and played in general. Will shake things up and be aggressive.

I hate Philly let’s go d bags!

I wish Curt Schilling was less of an ahole and could be calling games between his former teams.

Go to 08: seconds in.
David Justise:
"I've never seen a GM talk to players like that"

Billy Bean: "you've never seen a GM who was a player."

Reactions: sarge88

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
l
And none of it is good.

Baseball execs should be pounding down the door wanting to run this franchise- a big market team with an amazing history playing in an iconic venue that draws fans from the 6 New England states & beyond. Instead because of lousy ownership this is what happens.

I wish the new guy every success but he's got his work cut out for him having to contend with Henry, Werner & Co plus the most demanding fan base in sports breathing down his neck to field a winning team. He should buy stock in Maalox, he's going to need lots of it.
Maybe this job has become a 'stepping stone?'

Reactions: BMC

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
In the end I don't really care if it's Craig Breslow or Harry Schmedlap. If you have half a clue it's not a difficult job. You have more resources than most teams and if the hyped farm system is legit you should be able to turn this team into a contender within two years. No, I don't want to hear any more garbage about how it's ok if the Red Sox endure a 5 year rebuild on the path to sustainability. The two teams in the WS lost over 100 games each in 2021. This extended grace period sanctimonious people in the baseball industry think haveHarry Schmedlap gotten is not reality.
Harry Schmedlap told them where to stick their job.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
So, more than one thing can be true here.

1. More people should have been interested in the job, and ownership has no one to blame but themselves for the fact that they weren't.​
2. Ownership really liked Craig Breslow, and had him in mind as a potential candidate from the beginning.​
3. The fact that Breslow is moving from the Cubs' #3 chair to the Red Sox #1 chair is concerning, because that's a big jump.​
4. Breslow might just be smart enough to pull it off.​

So, I guess I'll wait and see. Some of what I've read about him is really encouraging, I would hope that he'll be allowed to hire a GM with some experience who can serve as a sounding board.

Reactions: pemulis

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
And none of it is good.

Honestly FSG are good owners they had a long run being right next to Man C in the prem and the current Bruins and Celtics are serial chokers at the moment. At least their teams took down some championships. And we do need to wait out the AL east being good.

Bring in Breslow spend some money I hope he has connections to Showtime. I bet he wants to come here.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

IMG_2180.jpeg

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
So, more than one thing can be true here.

1. More people should have been interested in the job, and ownership has no one to blame but themselves for the fact that they weren't.​
2. Ownership really liked Craig Breslow, and had him in mind as a potential candidate from the beginning.​
3. The fact that Breslow is moving from the Cubs' #3 chair to the Red Sox #1 chair is concerning, because that's a big jump.​
4. Breslow might just be smart enough to pull it off.​

So, I guess I'll wait and see. Some of what I've read about him is really encouraging, I would hope that he'll be allowed to hire a GM with some experience who can serve as a sounding board.
FWIW, I think Breslow was a good hire. The guy knows pitching, and the Sox desperately need that right now.

I hate the Cubs, but he did a really good job retooling their pitching prospects and developing talent. And believe me, if you think the Sox pitching prospect pool is thin, you should have seen Chicago's 5 years ago.....It was atrocious. They hadn't developed an arm since Kerry Wood/Mark Prior.

Now, they've developed a Cy Young candidate (Steele), developed Alzolay into a solid closer, and have 2 solid top-half rotation prospects ready to make the step up (Wicks & Horton). If he can replicate that in Boston, he'll be fine.

People are getting a little too bent out of shape because he's a relative unknown and this is his first gig. It was Chris Young's first gig in Texas as well. Both were players/pitchers, which I think is a plus.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
FWIW, I think Breslow was a good hire. The guy knows pitching, and the Sox desperately need that right now.

I hate the Cubs, but he did a really good job retooling their pitching prospects and developing talent. And believe me, if you think the Sox pitching prospect pool is thin, you should have seen Chicago's 5 years ago.....It was atrocious. They hadn't developed an arm since Kerry Wood/Mark Prior.

Now, they've developed a Cy Young candidate (Steele), developed Alzolay into a solid closer, and have 2 solid top-half rotation prospects ready to make the step up (Wicks & Horton). If he can replicate that in Boston, he'll be fine.

People are getting a little too bent out of shape because he's a relative unknown and this is his first gig. It was Chris Young's first gig in Texas as well. Both were players/pitchers, which I think is a plus.
Theo's stamp of approval for Breslow carries weight, too. I have to think that his visit to Fenway gave Breslow a significant boost.

Your point about Breslow being relatively unknown is spot on. While Breslow's front-office abilities and experience are relatively unknown to fans, and to a lesser extent, the media, it's well-known within MLB. We shouldn't discount his 12 years of experience as a player. A player like him learns a lot from seven organizations about how players should be evaluated and developed.

In the same vein as your point about Chris Young, we should also remember that the Sox were Theo's first GM gig, too. That doesn't mean that Breslow will be a success, but it also isn't necessarily a recipe for failure.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I see someone like Bruce Bochy and I think ok maybe the manager still matters. I then see a team let their manager leave for a division rival and think ok maybe the manager doesn't matter. Ultimately I don't think the manager matters that much until the playoffs.

I hate the Cubs, but he did a really good job retooling their pitching prospects and developing talent. And believe me, if you think the Sox pitching prospect pool is thin, you should have seen Chicago's
This is interesting to me. I am sure Theo is beloved in Chicago but is he getting the heat for that? Or has he been gone long enough where they blame Jed Hoyer?

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
I see someone like Bruce Bochy and I think ok maybe the manager still matters. I then see a team let their manager leave for a division rival and think ok maybe the manager doesn't matter. Ultimately I don't think the manager matters that much until the playoffs.
A good manager can elevate a team, while a poor one can sink it. Poor player management can be detrimental. Zimmer is maligned in many circles for exhausting the '78 Red Sox positional players, leading to the team's collapse down the stretch. The players and coaches turned against Valentine early in the 2012 season for generally being a jerk. To be fair, the 1980 U.S. Hockey Team didn't like Herb Brooks; however, one difference between him and Valentine is the players respected him. On the other hand, Francona is considered a players' manager. There were a lot of strong personalities that he had to manage. Some argue he didn't have to do much during a game. I wish Grady Little did a little more when managing Pedro in 2003 and McNamara when managing Buckner in 1986.

Melvin is an interesting case. While in Oakland, he was generally perceived as a manager who gets a lot out of his players. That perception was torpedoed in San Diego.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad