Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Legitimate question to everyone who is mad at Sweeney about Bertuzzi. If he had signed him at one year and moved out several people to fit him in, do you think this team is a cup contender? Playoff contender? I think the main appeal of signing Bertuzzi was that he would help them after this year when the cap opens up for us.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
If Hall doesn't get hurt, we don't go after Bert in the first place.

We trade Hall in hopes to re-sign Bert, and we lose both.

Yeah. That sucks. Oh well.

Reactions: shelbysdad

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Should have dumped Carlo and his salary for a bag of pucks, then signed Bertuzzi. They already gave Hall away for nothing. What a massive friggin L
That's bad asset management. Who replaces Carlo at his salary or less? Hall was playing on the Bruins' third line, made $6M, and the Bruins were lucky to fully get out of his cap hit without any retention or anything else going to Chicago. Some teams so far haven't been as lucky. A 50pt player in Smith returned a 4th. Bruins at least got two defensemen that have had some NHL experience. It's easier to replace someone on the 3rd line than it is replacing the team's third best defenseman.

Some fans need to understand the Bruins went all-in last season. It was expected the Bruins were going to take a step back in some form.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Again, it’s much easier to dump your guys that are a little bit overpaid on the middle of the roster if you have up-and-coming players that are knocking on the doorstep that make significantly less money.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Regardless of how you feel about the players they signed, they still needed to fill out a roster.

I like Bertuzzi, I like what he brought, and I wished they made it work.

There was no realistic way to make it work given how many roster spots they had to fill, while moving a few big salaries out, attaching picks they didn't have, or attaching even more futures putting them in a worse position.

Again, not sure what people expected here.
I'm not sure that it's people not realizing this as much as it is that people are angry with the reason why this team had to trade Hall and weren't able to sign Bertuzzi. Why was it that the Bruins had to fill out a lot of roster spots with limited cap space? Bad free agent signings, attaching assets to move said bad signings, and poor drafting leading to very very few quality prospects making the jump - all big reasons why this team had to go dumpster-diving on a very small budget. There was no realistic way to make it work because this team made more bad decisions than good since 2015.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
What if he’s hurt again? Then you’re just f***ed! For no reason!

They are going in a different direction and next season will look for that centre .They just lost with them guys
Right, but Hall and Bertuzzi were at the bottom of the list on the blame pie. Can't believe people think they are making the PO after losing Hall, Bertuzzi, Bergeron and Krejci.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If Hall doesn't get hurt, we don't go after Bert in the first place.

We trade Hall in hopes to re-sign Bert, and we lose both.

Yeah. That sucks. Oh well.
Its kind of fun thou don't U think ?. I mean i see it that way any ways. I mean Treliving has came in and is laying his ground work to bring the cup to Toronto and he's trying to go through Boston first and foremost. He brings Reaves in after the Bruins bring Looch back and now he signs x bruin Bertuzzi who the Bruins gave up next years first for. Without question he has made the leafs better but its too bad they still have no one who can stop the puck. Sweeney hopefully is sitting back and saying "Game On !" Because its his move !

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'm not sure that it's people not realizing this as much as it is that people are angry with the reason why this team had to trade Hall and weren't able to sign Bertuzzi. Why was it that the Bruins had to fill out a lot of roster spots with limited cap space? Bad free agent signings, attaching assets to move said bad signings, and poor drafting leading to very very few quality prospects making the jump - all big reasons why this team had to go dumpster-diving on a very small budget. There was no realistic way to make it work because this team made more bad decisions than good since 2015.
See, this is a fair and warranted critique.

You're giving the usual suspects of the "rah rah Sweeney bad" crowd way too much credit though.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That's bad asset management. Who replaces Carlo at his salary or less? Hall was playing on the Bruins' third line, made $6M, and the Bruins were lucky to fully get out of his cap hit without any retention or anything else going to Chicago. Some teams so far haven't been as lucky. A 50pt player in Smith returned a 4th. Bruins at least got two defensemen that have had some NHL experience. It's easier to replace someone on the 3rd line than it is replacing the team's third best defenseman.

Some fans need to understand the Bruins went all-in last season. It was expected the Bruins were going to take a step back in some form.

Well, if Sweeney can't go all in every year, stay under the Cap and keep all his draft picks then he deserves to be fired.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Right, but Hall and Bertuzzi were at the bottom of the list on the blame pie. Can't believe people think they are making the PO after losing Hall, Bertuzzi, Bergeron and Krejci.
For sure, they were very good in the playoffs (Hall 2 Ways, Bert 1 way)

I think the playoffs are possible but to be a true contender? f*** no

Picks for 28 games of Bertuzzi and 30 games of Orlov:

1st 2023
1st 2024
2nd 2025
3rd 2024
4th 2025
5th 2023

Prettty steep for 2 rentals. Donny boy is a pure gift.
If they didn’t go all-in last year people would have thrown a bitch fit. They should have and did. They just choked. Sucks but thems the breaks

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Here’s the kicker.

This past week is just the first of several dominoes to fall.

The coffers are still bare and they have no first round pick next draft either.

It’ll get worse before it gets better, folks.
I'm convinced that if Sweemey magically brought last years team back, people would still complain.
After that epic choke I sure would have.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

1st 2023
1st 2024
2nd 2025
3rd 2024
4th 2025
5th 2023

When trading premium assets for rentals I expect the GM to have in place an idea at least one will return. Similar to Nash - no one predicted the concussion from Pacquette however so that was out of Bruins control.

Again, Toronto has the same issue where each rental left, but it is not so wise. 2011, both Kelly/Peverley remained. Last season, Bruins retained Lindholm. This makes the rental prices easier to justify even if some leave, as Kaberle did.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Do some of you get erect at the mere possibility of misery

The sad part of this joke is we can teach ourselves to like it.
If it is something we adapt and become accustomed to it can feel comfortable and safer than something unknown. Even if that unknown is better.

Reactions: NeelyDan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Its kind of fun thou don't U think ?. I mean i see it that way any ways. I mean Treliving has came in and is laying his ground work to bring the cup to Toronto and he's trying to go through Boston first and foremost. He brings Reaves in after the Bruins bring Looch back and now he signs x bruin Bertuzzi who the Bruins gave up next years first for. Without question he has made the leafs better but its too bad they still have no one who can stop the puck. Sweeney hopefully is sitting back and saying "Game On !" Because its his move !

Has he really made them better?

Screenshot_20230702_184629_Chrome.png

That bottom 6 isn't anything special and Jarnkrok isn't really a top 6 forward.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015

1st 2023
1st 2024
2nd 2025
3rd 2024
4th 2025
5th 2023

The worst part is they paid these picks to essentially scratch Grzelcyk and Frederic. (Why it wasn't Forbort and Foligno instead I still have no idea)

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
IMO this point is 100% it. You aren't going to move Ullmark/Gryz/Frederic/Swayman to sign Bert to one year. Would be ridiculous, then this place would burn once he leaves next offseason for nothing.

He obviously thinks this 1 year deal will turn into a longer term deal next year and more money, otherwise he would have been here for the reported 4 years at similar money.
Exactly. Would’ve been crucified.

I wonder what the HF consensus would be if I ran a “who would you rather play with to build up your UFA value?” poll between Zacha/Pasta and Matthews/Marner? I may just do that.

My logic is that even if you want to call Pasta/Matthews a wash production-wise…Zacha/Marner sure ain’t

Reactions: NDiesel

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
See, this is a fair and warranted critique.

You're giving the usual suspects of the "rah rah Sweeney bad" crowd way too much credit though.
Sweeney's good decisions were very good. It's just his bad decisions were very bad, and there were more of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad