Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Ok so you think Boston’s top line production is no different than Toronto’s top line. That is certainly an opinion, it’s not one I agree with but nonetheless you’re entitled to it!

I will be shocked if Pastrnak is short of 50 goals again due to the roster this season. His linemates will be drowning in assists this season, whoever it ends up being.

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
They had to pay their top defenseman and top winger fair market value.

They have nobody on this roster that’s been drafted and developed that slots to be an impactful contributor on at or near minimum salary.

They’ve had how long to plan for the succession at the center position?

This is what you get.

Scotch tape and spare parts.
This to the max. But people will laugh at your post and think CC and PV will lead us to a playoff spot..::

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
No one is debating how screwed the bruins are in cap. I’ve posted many times already saying that no matter what we did it wasn’t going to make us cup contenders going into this next year. What’s gross is signing the trash that we did and watching someone you gave multiple picks to acquire sign with the leafs. Are centers are so so bad. I’m next year will be very hard.
Regardless of how you feel about the players they signed, they still needed to fill out a roster.

I like Bertuzzi, I like what he brought, and I wished they made it work.

There was no realistic way to make it work given how many roster spots they had to fill, while moving a few big salaries out, attaching picks they didn't have, or attaching even more futures putting them in a worse position.

Again, not sure what people expected here.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
I think keeping Hall or Bertuzzi should have been a priority over our RFAs.

Trade Frederic and Swayman to recover draft capital. (Blues and Jets had interest)

JVR/Geekie replaces Frederic and Bussi is backup for Ullmark -- and our top 6 wouldn't look depressing.

Oh well, it's all what-ifs now.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Regardless of how you feel about the players they signed, they still needed to fill out a roster.

I like Bertuzzi, I like what he brought, and I wished they made it work.

There was no realistic way to make it work given how many roster spots they had to fill, while moving a few big salaries out, attaching picks they didn't have, or attaching even more futures putting them in a worse position.

Again, not sure what people expected here.

Sweeney could’ve easily made it work. Trade Gryz for a 3rd and boom done. Hell even for future considerations. He clearly isn’t trusted to play in the games that matter most so why keep him.

Reactions: G Backup

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I will be shocked if Pastrnak is short of 50 goals again due to the roster this season. His linemates will be drowning in assists this season, whoever it ends up being.
Matthews has scored even more goals the last 3 years and they are deeper in offensive talent. Just my opinion.

Reactions: hurdemz

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I love that Detroit owns our first round draft pick this year in exchange for a guy who will be scoring 35 goals for the Toronto Maple Leafs

C'est la vie
And the Bruins did cap gymnastics to bring him in in the first place putting Hall on IR.

This organization mortgaged everything on last season. Had it worked, it would have all been worth it.

Probably still was for a kick at the can.

However, I do find it hypocritical when some try to diminish the value of Tampa’s Cups when they bent the rules of the cap.

Reactions: NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Ok so did you want him back for significant term? Because he was never coming back here for a year if Toronto was another option. Unless you topped Toronto’s offer, which they are in no position to be doing. Because that would require them to move assets to accommodate him on a 1 year deal. And that 1 yr deal will be pointless because we ain’t winning the cup next year and he’ll cash out and go to the highest bidder when teams have way more space next summer. So you lose assets for nothing. Haven’t we had enough of that?
IMO this point is 100% it. You aren't going to move Ullmark/Gryz/Frederic/Swayman to sign Bert to one year. Would be ridiculous, then this place would burn once he leaves next offseason for nothing.

He obviously thinks this 1 year deal will turn into a longer term deal next year and more money, otherwise he would have been here for the reported 4 years at similar money.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Fan is short for fanatic and hope springs eternal.

There are some who believe in this team no matter who is wearing the sweater.

In a way, I envy them.
I use to be one of them, back when I was 12.

Don't get me wrong I'll always bleed black and Gold and route for whoever wears the sweater, but I wont and cant always agree or defend every move the Organization makes, but Id never let a Canadien fan or Leaf fan bad mouth the Bruins, never!!. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Should have dumped Carlo and his salary for a bag of pucks, then signed Bertuzzi. They already gave Hall away for nothing. What a massive friggin L

Reactions: ylekot

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
How did Sweeney not Match that?
In what world would moving out one or more of Sway/Ullmark/Gryz/Frederic or attaching an asset to move Forbort to sign Bert for one year make sense? What if he bolts next offseason and now you don't have him plus Sway/Freddy/Ullmark? This place would burn down....

Don't get me wrong I would do it to have him for the reported 4 years they offered, but he turned that down.

Reactions: 13Hockey

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The NYI GM was creative signing every player for a decade to keep salary manageable. It will be someone else's problem no doubt as GM by then and possibly irritating for fans. In the short term, it improves the roster and lines up with whatever playoff window they may have.

I simply cannot get on board thinking this roster is ready to contend minus Hall, Bertuzzi, etc. Be creative/bold. Decide if Swayman is our next Rask or not and trade Ullmark? Trade Gryz? Forbort? This Cassidy/Montgomery hybrid system can perhaps support lesser defenseman but I cannot see it supporting the current forward group.

This offseason reminds of Chiarelli trading Boychuk to add depth. At some point, the top tier of the roster also must be able to carry the team as important as depth is.

With so few legitimate high end prospects to speak of, each season going by is a more challenging path to a Cup run. A playoff contender certainly, with McAvoy/Lindholm/Pastrnak/Swayman, but a challenge to understand how "wise" Sweeney's apparent plan to wait for next offseason might not be overthinking it all. Every GM will have a similar plan.

Reactions: G Backup

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
And the Bruins did cap gymnastics to bring him in in the first place putting Hall on IR.

This organization mortgaged everything on last season. Had it worked, it would have all been worth it.

Probably still was for a kick at the can.

However, I do find it hypocritical when some try to diminish the value of Tampa’s Cups when they bent the rules of the cap.
Eh big difference using LTIR in the season, and doing it the way TB did it with Kucherov.

Either way, it's the rules, smart teams take advantage of it.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I think keeping Hall or Bertuzzi should have been a priority over our RFAs.

Trade Frederic and Swayman to recover draft capital. (Blues and Jets had interest)

JVR/Geekie replaces Frederic and Bussi is backup for Ullmark -- and our top 6 wouldn't look depressing.

Oh well, it's all what-ifs now.
Exactly!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad