Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Oh so no longer Charlie Coyle at C?

And I'm the one being dishonest.
Lol ok whoever you want to call 1C or 2C your semantics do not matter to me- would you rather play on Toronto’s top line or Boston’s top line as a pending UFA?

You know the answer and that’s why you didn’t answer the question.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Oh yes Pavel Zacha as your center is very comparable to Auston Matthews in a contract year, of course.

Which line would you rather play on if you’re trying to get points- Bostons top line or Toronto’s? Be honest, no lying allowed

The check has come due! Happened to the Pats when Brady left and we had infinity dead money. People have to deal with it.
I think he didn't get his long term deal and then the leafs offer was his best one, so he took it. Playing with Mathews will be great but the Chemistry he and Pasta had you wont fine much better than that in such a short period of time.

Reactions: ylekot

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Felger said it was to sign Bertuzzi.

When you’ve got $13m to fill whatever it was, 10 roster spots, with some RFAs due a raise, you cannot afford one player accounting for half of that.

It just doesn’t work.
I mean it isn't hard to go back and look at the thread for when Hall was traded. Lots of people here are saying that was the plan, including people who are now saying the plan all along was to add min. salary old castoffs and hope for the best.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
the Hall move makes literally no sense now since most said it was to sign Bertuzzi.
Hall was traded due to previous horrible signings that put the team in this situation. Who would've thought that the regrettable signings of guys like Beleskey, Backes, Moore, Reilly and Forbort would haunt them? Not to mention the assets that were wasted in trying to get rid of most of those guys.

Bert walked because the Bruins can't afford him coupled with Toronto having a more enticing top 6 for him to rack up points and cash in on a higher deal next year. Can't blame him for not wanting to re-sign here when Charlie Coyle is the projected 1C next season.

The whole thing is comical.

Edit: I forgot to add the Foligno contract

Last edited:

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Now that you’ve burned up all your first and second round picks, where do you think you’re going to get them from? There is not a lot of talent on this team that you can ship out and get a first round pick. But it really doesn’t matter. Anyway, this team can’t draft very well. Really disappointing situation as a Bruins fan.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hall was traded due to previous horrible signings that put the team in this situation. Who would've thought that the regrettable signings of guys like Beleskey, Backes, Moore, Reilly and Forbort would haunt them? Not to mention the assets that were wasted in trying to get rid of most of those guys.

Bert walked because the Bruins can't afford him coupled with Toronto having a more enticing top 6 for him to rack up points and cash in on a higher deal next year. Can't blame him for not wanting to re-sign here when Charlie Coyle is the projected 1C next season.

The whole thing is comical.
Oh don’t say that about Coyle, apparently that dishonest lol

Zacha is the 1C. That totally changes things!

Reactions: Grimey

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
6 ×5.5 was the general consensus deal. now you lose this player for nothing
You act like he just signed that deal

Clearly no team valued him at a long term deal like that.

My guess is somewhere along the way, Bruins offered 3 or 4 years at 4.5/5 mil a year. Agent thought better was out there, and it wasn't.

Once they realized long term wasn't a thing, Bruins had used their space to fill out the roster.

Hard to fault Sweeney here.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Well, see, there's your problem: expecting Sweeney to be creative or thoughtful. They're in this mess because of him. At what point has it ever seemed like he's capable of getting them out of it?
Agreed. I never thought we'd see anything but the sweaty ass crack that we got yesterday.

But it didn't have to be this way. There was an avenue to something a little risky, but also exciting and sporting potential. My fault for maintaining a little hope

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
You act like he just signed that deal

Clearly no team valued him at a long term deal like that.

My guess is somewhere along the way, Bruins offered 3 or 4 years at 4.5/5 mil a year. Agent thought better was out there, and it wasn't.

Once they realized long term wasn't a thing, Bruins had used their space to fill out the roster.

Hard to fault Sweeney here.

so the #1 priority this offseaon goes to a hated rival and we cant fault sweeney for obliterating the top 6?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
honestly think it’s a great move for Tyler and Toronto, Toronto needs to go for it and Tyler has a better chance of winning and producing there so he can cash in

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY

bUt SwEeNeY

This place would've been f***ing insufferable if he waited to resign him, lost out, and all other options signed elsewhere

Pretty dumb move by Tyler IMO. Always take the guaranteed money. He could be one injury away from his career ending. Take the money.

Reactions: Gordoff

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
All these frustrations now are because the bill has come due for that awful UFA summer 2021.

14 mil spent on Grzelcyk Forbort Reilly Foligno, which then put us over-budget to face a 4.5 mil cap penalty.

Basically we are still attached to 10.5 million bloat from those decisions today.

So yes, Sweeney's "hands are tied" but the frustration is that he did it himself.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I will say, the offseason isn't over yet, and when Pagnotta and others are saying the Bruins would prefer to use their cap space on a center than Bertuzzi, let's see if the Bruins add a Scheifele, Lindholm, Backlund, etc.

There's no question the Bruins are in a really good position right now to make a trade because they have cap space and have a pretty full roster with just needing to sign Frederic, Swayman, and Lauko. The Leafs need to clear $5M+ in cap space and may get bent over since they are going to be dealing from a position of weakness needing to clear cap space to be compliant.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Don't see the problem here other than that he went to the leafs. He's not what the Bruins need right now. They need a center and I wouldn't want Bert for 5.5 at this point and time. The bruins need a Center and hopefully Sweeney counters treliving and goes out and gets one.

Treliving countered Sweeney with the Reeves move and now he goes out and signs Bert, time for Sweeney to counter him. Too funny though it wasn't Treliving but the leafs trade Rasmus Sandin to the Caps for the Bruins first round pick in this year draft. Its like that organization is taking all the ass whippings we've been giving them over the years seriously. lol

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
All these frustrations now are because the bill has come due for that awful UFA summer 2021.

14 mil spent on Grzelcyk Forbort Reilly Foligno, which then put us over-budget to face a 4.5 mil cap penalty.

Basically we are still attached to 14.5 million bloat from those decisions today.

So yes, Sweeney's "hands are tied" but the frustration is that he did it himself.
Agreed but seems like most of the frustration is that he didn’t get Bertuzzi to sign that deal today

If people wanna complain about bad free agent signings he’s made in the past have at it, some of those moves he’s made in the past have come back to sting a lot and that’s why I like the low-risk off-season he’s had. It literally can’t sting, unless you genuinely thought this team could contend for a cup (idk why anybody would after last years kick in the balls and Bergy’s disc)

They’ll *likely* be a playoff team but they’re not winning 4 rounds

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
so the #1 priority this offseaon goes to a hated rival and we cant fault sweeney for obliterating the top 6?
Again, what do you expect the GM to do here?

They offered whatever they offered, agent says no we want more money/term. They go to UFA, don't find it, take best situation to try to cash in next year.

Sweeney smartly pivoted to actually fill out the rest of the roster.

This isnt playstation with the cap off.

Reactions: shelbysdad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad