Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
Sky isn't falling. One thing thats been reaffirmed this past yr is all you need to do is get to the dance. Anything goes after that. Roster clearly not being what it was just a few months ago, this team isn't that bad on paper. Would rather a 7/8 seed that wreaks havoc in the po's, than the historic reg season team fumbling the ball in the 1st round.

I've lowered any expectations I may have for this upcoming season. Shaping up to be an interesting one. Though it wouldn't surprise me, if this team surprises pleasantly on ice. (I.e I dont wear blinders..lol).

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
You act like he just signed that deal

Clearly no team valued him at a long term deal like that.

My guess is somewhere along the way, Bruins offered 3 or 4 years at 4.5/5 mil a year. Agent thought better was out there, and it wasn't.

Once they realized long term wasn't a thing, Bruins had used their space to fill out the roster.

Hard to fault Sweeney here.
Sweeney was the guy who signed Forbort and Reilly to those contracts, so it still accrues to him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Wally has repeatedly explained why they are not stuck with them
he was being tongue-in-cheek, ignoring that Bertuzzi got paid more than what we filled 4 slots with and that you can’t just bury 5.5

That said Bertuzzi won’t be washed up next year, the only risk with him for the leafs is injury. Good piece of business for both sides imo and I think the people slamming Bert’s agent are nuts. Even if he does get banged up next year he’ll still find offers with term in next years market with teams having more money. He just can’t have a catastrophic injury. That’s the only way it goes wrong for him and Toronto

Or covid comes back hard lol

Reactions: Gordoff

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Sweeeny has also lost in the 1st round 2 years in a row and hasnt won anything
Sweeney has been in a win now mode since he's taken over and he hasn't won. His time may of finally come where his Can is staying home no more kicking it down the road. In the last six years the Bruins have had 2 first round picks and next year they don't have any of their top 3 picks. He's also made some terrible Free Agent signings that just put the Bruins in Cap hell, but outside of these faults I think he's a Great GM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Bert should fit in well with Toronto's lack of interest in backchecking.
Oh he will get his points to increase next years contract negotiations , but Toronto's defense and goaltending will be even more challenged ..................Bruins lose Hall and looks like Toronto from the sounds of loses Nylander , both better players than Bertuzzi......

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Regardless of how you feel about the players they signed, they still needed to fill out a roster.

I like Bertuzzi, I like what he brought, and I wished they made it work.

There was no realistic way to make it work given how many roster spots they had to fill, while moving a few big salaries out, attaching picks they didn't have, or attaching even more futures putting them in a worse position.

Again, not sure what people expected here.
if you keep making sense like that people will block you....lol

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
QUOTE]
What has dubas trievling have done? I can list loads of Gm who haven't had a sniff of anything come playoff time. Donny has done a solid job but has bad luck you need hockey gods or a ryder glove save to win this yeti mug.

2019 was a favorable path for Boston but besides that Sweeney has never made it past the 2nd round.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Again, what do you expect the GM to do here?

They offered whatever they offered, agent says no we want more money/term. They go to UFA, don't find it, take best situation to try to cash in next year.

Sweeney smartly pivoted to actually fill out the rest of the roster.

This isnt playstation with the cap off.
Signing 34 year old JVR and 34 year old Shattenkirk along with 35 year old Lucic isn't smartly pivoting.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The only fan base that has seen more wins (regular season + playoffs) in the cap era than us is the Pens. Most regular season wins and third most playoff wins. Rival fan bases envy that the Bruins always find a way to get in the picture. This place always feels like we are fans of the Minnesota Wild or something.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
No, it didn't. But many of us have been hoping Sweeney would be axed for 8 years now. We've seen him long enough to know who he is, and unfortunately the moments of false hope disguised that for some people.

I'm not here to re-hash the past, but I've been counting down the hours since the night of June 26th, 2015 waiting for Jacobs to figure out what some of us knew all along.
The Lindholm and Ullmark deals along with #37\46 being incredibly unselfish will protect him for a couple of more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad