Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Tampa Bay's Kucherov, Point and Vasilevskiy all make 9.5 M each. You really think McAvoy is as good as any of those three? I'm not upset. He's just a little overpaid, considering he doesn't have much of an NHL shot.

He certainly wasn't the solution in the playoffs.
Kucherov is a top 5 forward, Vas is a top 5 goalie, McAvoy is a top 5 defenseman in the league. Very fair deal and will only get better as he matures and the cap goes up.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Fair value? Absolutely. Team friendly, I'd say not exactly. It is what it is.

But gone are the days of their best players on discounts, so any boneheaded moves on the bottom of the roster can't be disguised as easy this time around.
Good players get paid, just because we’ve had some guys take less in the past doesn’t mean others are selfish for taking what they deserve.

Those are the exception not the rule

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i still love my bruins. its the only sport i watch or care about.
hoping they are in the mix at black friday.
then see where we are around trade deadline.
after this past season no need to give any shits about watching all 82 games.
just hope we make the playoffs and our goalie stands on his head.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I think it has much more to do with the terrible asset management by Sweeney than where they actually drafted. Having to give up extra capital to move backes, Moore and beleskey, missing on Rick Nash.

Of course there are draft misses like Beecher, zboril and senyshyn.

On top of that like Anthony said there were only a few other available players each draft, but those do end up adding up and the bruins seemed to miss just about every time.

They need lorhei and lysell to be solid players for sure or else it gets very ugly because then we are looking at nothing from the draft pool for a few more years.

Bottom line a big reason they have been in cap trouble is that since 2017, swayman is the only nhl regular. No matter how you slice it that’s not a good formula.

6 years worth of drafts without an NHL regular forward or defender is about as bad as it gets.

Swayman is the saving grace in this.
I've got poitras and locmelis being big time in a few years.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Good players get paid, just because we’ve had some guys take less in the past doesn’t mean others are selfish for taking what they deserve.

Those are the exception not the rule
Ignoring the point I was making.

Bruins were able to bumble their cap in other places because of those discount contracts.

When our star players are making market value (which absolutely nothing wrong with that, I'm not calling them selfish, everyone should advocate for themselves if that's what they want), but it means our management can't afford to bring in players every other year that becomes negative value within a year of the player signing. Which was my point.

Reactions: Boston Bruno

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
If they don't push for him, to me that is an absolute failure of management. The amount of futures given up for Bert, nevertheless Orlov/Hathaway and to not walk away with the younger/better one of the three is insane.
They would have to move pieces to get the cap space to sign him maybe they don’t have any interest in who they are willing to move.

Reactions: nasero

Fair Warning

Nov 15, 2006
Grafton, MA
If they don't push for him, to me that is an absolute failure of management. The amount of futures given up for Bert, nevertheless Orlov/Hathaway and to not walk away with the younger/better one of the three is insane.

That’s the risk of “going all in,” unfortunately. Just another twist in the knife of how bad this year is going to continue to hurt for a long time…

Reactions: nasero

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Ignoring the point I was making.

Bruins were able to bumble their cap in other places because of those discount contracts.

When our star players are making market value (which absolutely nothing wrong with that, I'm not calling them selfish, everyone should advocate for themselves if that's what they want), but it means our management can't afford to bring in players every other year that becomes negative value within a year of the player signing. Which was my point.
That's fair. Sweeney can't afford to sign guys like Forbort anymore, which could end up being a good thing anyway.

Reactions: WhalerTurnedBruin55

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Did you completely skip over the first part of my post where I said I think it has to do much more with the terrible asset management by Sweeney than the draft?

Because you pretty much just agreed with me. I’m putting much more blame on Sweeney having to give up assets to move guys like backes, Moore, beleskey and any others than I am on the draft. There would probably be better drafted players(hopefully) if we actually had those draft picks instead of having to trade away the picks to move out Sweeney’s bad FA signings
Sorry, I was just agreeing and saying the story was a little biased

Reactions: UncleRico

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
For sure dude I can’t believe one of the finalists for MVP who scored 60+ goals got paid.

What are we even doing here?
Here? For sure dude, we are in cap hell. We had to dump a former actual winner of the MVP just to create 6M in cap space. I was reacting to the chart from Dom that showed all the salaries in relation to each other. On that chart, 11.25M hurts my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad