Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Let me apologize in advance for the long winded response. I will try and keep it short.

1) I think Walsh has the best chance at an NHL future. Regula I'm not completely sold on but I haven't written him off just yet. Mitchell is the least likeliest of the three IMO. But you have to remember, outside of Boston they had one right shot d-man under contract with zero pro experience and Sweeney has two rosters to fill, Boston and Providence.

As for recouping picks, I have to breakdown how trades work. Don Sweeney does not call every GM himself. In fact, most deals are initiated between the AGM's and Director of Player Personnel before the GM's get involved. Most teams, including the Bruins designate people in the organization to be responsible for initiating conversations with specific teams. For example: Evan Gold may be responsible for the Atlantic division, Scott Bradley for the Pacific and so on. So they've had the conversations and as you know, some teams would not be able to make it work because of the cap, or needed the Bruins to take back salary and they couldn't... a bunch of different reasons, but they had the discussions. No one was offering what the fans wanted. Again, it's the cost of doing business. Does it suck? Probably, but everyone operates under the same rules.

2) Gryz's value. I've maintained my stance that the Bruins could get a second round pick for Gryz going back to the last trade deadline. Does it still hold true? I'm told yes. But I raised the question because it does hold some merit in past negotiations/trades around the league: Gryz's actual money owed is $4.2 million with only a $3.6 million cap hit. Yes, it may be peanuts, but history has shown that when a player's actual money owed is higher then his cap hit, it de-values him on the trade market. So, to answer your question I'm not sure how much an opposing GM is going to look at that.

Finally, I apologize if I said to trust Sweeney. I never want to force my opinion on anyone. Everyone here needs to make up their own minds. All I know is he is an NHL GM and I am not and only time will tell if he makes the right move or not.
Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

As for the process, that stuff is very interesting, but also makes me wonder if any parts of that cog are not pulling their weight. I'd imagine they did their due diligence and moving Hall + Foligno for what sounds like C prospects at best, if that was the best deal, so be it. But it wouldn't be the first time after the fact you heard another GM say, "wow, I didn't know player x was available" and/or the price.

Gryz's value, I hope you are right, I still do think they need to recoup picks, but it's looking more and more likely we aren't going to be picking in the first 2 rounds. I mean if Hall gets table scraps (even with his cap hit)... just less optimistic about the return of other players.

I wasn't insinuating you were forcing your opinion at all! Everyone has a right to their own. I'm just a little more cautious with my trust. The success he's had hasn't resulted in a cup, (which most GM's can say), he's had his hits, he's had his misses. But overall, from a strictly asset point of view, Sweeney has sent A LOT of assets out over the years, with very little tangible roster players as of TODAY or and the future.

Hence, even getting the throw-in 4-7th round pick can turn into something, but if we couldn't even grab those?

In terms of roster, I felt like it was odd to move Hall for C level defense prospects when we already have so limited forwards signed. I know we are after centers, and room to sign forward depth. Sweeney's overfocus on D, especially LD has put us in a bad cap spot. I mean, easy to say as an arm-chair GM, but moving Hall for 2 NHL ready forward prospects (even with less upside) would have made a little more sense given the roster needs.

Anyways, that's just my two cents, and I appreciate your contribution/sharing either way!

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
If Coyle is in the top 6 they should blow it up, that 2024 1st is top 10 protected, right?
I think you are getting what you wish for in spades.
My guess is Neely, who is a realist if nothing else, went to JJ and said no contention this year and JJ gave the order for a nuclear summer. Huge mistake as there is still talent here.

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
Dumping Hall and not signing Bertuzzi? Must be something in the works here that I don't see. Maybe they have collected a bunch of RD fodder to move one out? Figured they would have enough cap space with gryz traded and buyout of Reilly, Forbort To cover Freddy and sway while bringing kids up from Providence to fill out rest of roster.

Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I think you are getting what you wish for in spades.
My guess is Neely, who is a realist if nothing else, went to JJ and said no contention this year and JJ gave the order for a nuclear summer. Huge mistake as there is still talent here.
Yea Their too good for that to happen Imo. Hall's gone, I think Grizz will be gone for sure and there's 9 mil to go and make a hockey trade and bring in a true number 1 center +.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Dumping Hall and not signing Bertuzzi? Must be something in the works here that I don't see. Maybe they have collected a bunch of RD fodder to move one out? Figured they would have enough cap space with gryz traded and buyout of Reilly, Forbort To cover Freddy and sway while bringing kids up from Providence to fill out rest of roster.
By Kids you mean Lauko, singular.?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I don't believe for one second that the Bruins don't know what Bergeron and Krejci are planning by now. Neither would leave them hanging.

Bruins just don't want to show their hand before the draft and free agency.
There's one thing showing your hand... and another thing to hide the obvious.

Bruins CANNOT play wait and see with Bergeron/Krejci. Even if they know, Bruins need a long term center. Everyone knows that. Bergeron and/or Krejci coming back for the Swan Song part 3 shouldn't and wouldn't change that they need a long term center. Not making a move because of that, seems like playing with fire.

I think last season was great up until game 5 of the playoffs, but to expect that again, even if BOTH came back, the positional need is there regardless.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
Gosh there are so many holes in our roster right now - I don't have any idea what this team may look like.

Which of our prospects do we think we can pencil into the starting lineup?

I think I am comfortable penciling in Lauko as a full-timer. Outside of that....not sure there are any that are ready for the big show, or at least, on a permanent basis.

From what I read, Walsh sounds promising so I'll chuck him on the third pairing. Guess I'll give the nod to Merkulov and McLaughlin as well. Screw it - Lohrei going to pair with McAvoy cause frankly we have too many holes.

Trade Gryz + Ullmark for Scheifele and a pick
Sign Hathaway
Sign Domi
Sign Frederic
Buy out Reilly

Marchand - Schiefele - Debrusk
Domi - Zacha - Pastrnak
Frederic - Coyle - Lauko
Merkulov - McLaughlin - Hathaway

Lohrei- McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Forbort - Walsh