Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
This trade was an eerie reminder that this past season was an outlier success for Sweeney. Back to smartest man in the room syndrome. The next move will be telling.
This is the kind of move that every team pressed against the cap does. Has nothing to do with being “the smartest guys in the room”. The Knights gave Pacioretty away when he was a ppg for them and then won the cup the next year. Was that them trying to be the smartest guys in the room or was that them trying to find cap space to maneuver their way into building a SC team?

Hate to break it to y’all but buying out Reilly isn’t nearly enough and do you really want them trading MORE futures for a team to take on Forbort?

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Reading some of the comments on here we should remember that until last season (IMO) Sweeney sucked, why do we think one good regular season would change that? Because of his ineptitude in signing guys like Reilly, Forbort, Grizz, Coyle and John Moore to stupid contracts he is now having to let very good players like Bertuzzi and Hall walk for nothing or next to nothing.

Also playing into this mess is his drafting, Jack Studnicka, Urho Vaakanainen, Axel Andersson, Zachary Senyshyn, JFK and others have put them in a position of having a weak prospect pool and no one to take top 6, or lower, forward minutes or any D being ready to replace Grizz, Forbort, Reilly, Clifton.

This rests on Sweengenius and if he goes into next year with Zacha, Coyle, Merkalov and Frederic as his top 4 center the only good that will come of it will be his time in Boston finally ending.
The genius had to rely on Bergeron and Krejci basically being paid like 4th liners to make this happen too. He got damn lucky these guys wanted to do that

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Zero chance Orlov is back. They can't possibly afford him unless they're planning on having Charlie Coyle as their #1 center
I loved his offense but he was a defensive nightmare through most of his games as a Bruin. Wouldn’t really miss him that much imo.

Reactions: bbfan419

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
If they are under the impression they are done and won't be back but will leave a spot open for both, that leads me to believe we aren't going to be in the market for a true center and Coyle and Zacha are our 1-2C

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If we have a cheaper 3C it makes it easier to afford a 1C

Coyle isn't a 1 or a 2C IMO--not enough offensive impact, especially as it relates to enabling wingers.
Also if you have 0 centers on the roster anybody you sign is technically a #1 center, that may be how we acquire the 1C this off-season after all! Trade Coyle, move Zacha to wing. Sign Vlad Namestnikov to be 1C

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Blackwood went for a 6th
Hall goes for mitchell regula
Johannsen goes for alex g

At this rate ullmark will be worth a 3rd round pick maybe a 2nd. No value for players. It's all about cap this sucks dung.

Blackwood should have fetched nothing. He's been awful the last 3yrs with a .897 SV% and a -22.1 GSAA. He had a $3.4 million QO which NJD wasn't going to give him. I'm amazed that NJD got some kind of asset for him since he was likely going to be a UFA

Reactions: neelynugs

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Did you want Hall on our team? He had similar attitude/leadership concerns.

I'm not sure that was the case. Yes, he had "baggage."

Being selected first overall by the Edmonton Oilers and expected to be an immediate miracle worker by their crazy fans and media might have something to do with that.

He's traded to NJ, where he becomes league MVP.

I can't say why Hall was traded to AZ, except as a "salary dump." The numbers in his final NJ season, and in AZ, were poor.

Then he's traded to a chronically mismanaged, putrid Buffalo Sabres team so lousy with a losing culture it isn't true, loses his confidence, and can't score to save his life.

These are not excuses but they are legitimate reasons why some tagged Hall as a problem.

My sense is that even back in 2010, Hall would have much preferred playing for the Bruins rather than under the crushing microscope of Edmonton.

He signed with Boston for 6 million, when it's at least possible he could have received more elsewhere. He wanted to come to Boston.

And after a creaky start, Hall produced and became a valued member of the team.

He accepted third line, defense first duty without complaint and excelled in that role. His regular season numbers, while unspectacular, were respectable. He trailed only Bertuzzi for most first round playoff points (5-3-8).

Other players with charcter questions, notably Marc Savard and Nathan Horton, have joined the Bruins, fit in, and preformed quite well.

I don't place Taylor in that category and wish him nothing but the best. He was a good soldier for the Bruins, and a valuable player.

Scheifele -- supposedly a member of the Jets "leadership group," on a club known for locker room backbiting and bitching, is another matter,

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I don't believe for one second that the Bruins don't know what Bergeron and Krejci are planning by now. Neither would leave them hanging.

Bruins just don't want to show their hand before the draft and free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad