Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
The anti Bergeron lol

I'd take a chance on him, his skill level is off the charts. Get him out of that toxic atmosphere where everyone and the brother seems to want out and see what a real Hockey environment does for him.
Yeah, sometimes a change of scenery energizes a guy and maybe a guy like Marchand on his line cranks him up and forces him to play 200 feet. But, man, I don't like the way he plays. Not many 1C options out there, so maybe they roll the dice. They've got to do something in the top 6.

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
From an outsider's perspective (not closely following either team) if the choices are Lindholm or Scheifele, i sort of see them as two paths. Lindholm feels more of a continuation of the current makeup, taking the place of either Bergy or Krejci. Scheifele is the "new direction" with a little more edge to him.

Regarding Scheifele's reputation and rumored attitude issues, a lot can go into that (teammates, coaches, team culture, etc...). Just as with Savard he could be completely different in a new situation. That'll be the risk with him. If it worked out that Bergy plays and he has that direct day-to-day experience with him I'd be ok.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
So, If the Bruins have communicated all along that they are interested in signing Bertuzzi like Strickland says then who the F*** have they "communicated" that to if not Tyler Bertuzzi and Todd Reynolds?

"Hey Andy, we want to sign Bertuzzi but we don't want to talk to him. Can you Tweet that in hopes Tyler and his agent read it and they get back to us?"

Panthers have significant interest?

"Hey Andy, we can't express any interest in signing Tyler Bertuzzi because that's tampering. Can you tweet it out in hopes that he sees it and doesn't sign with Boston before July 1 so that we can talk to him?"

I really hate this time of year. Not really. It's the time of year when I know who I should and shouldn't be following on Twitter.

I hate Twitter and usually avoid it like the plague -- but if you could list 3-4 people we should follow, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Reactions: Gordoff

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I hate Twitter and usually avoid it like the plague -- but if you could list 3-4 people we should follow, I'd greatly appreciate it!
I avoid needing to use twitter, because most of the useful info gets filtered through or at least curated through our boards opinion.

Reactions: Gordoff

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
From an outsider's perspective (not closely following either team) if the choices are Lindholm or Scheifele, i sort of see them as two paths. Lindholm feels more of a continuation of the current makeup, taking the place of either Bergy or Krejci. Scheifele is the "new direction" with a little more edge to him.

Regarding Scheifele's reputation and rumored attitude issues, a lot can go into that (teammates, coaches, team culture, etc...). Just as with Savard he could be completely different in a new situation. That'll be the risk with him. If it worked out that Bergy plays and he has that direct day-to-day experience with him I'd be ok.
I was a 100% no on Scheifele at the beginning. But then I started taking a dive into some of his career stats. For a few years there his faceoff percentage was coming up and was a valued member of their PK. He was a consistent plus player. The last few seasons his defensive play has tailed off. His face off percentage is better than I thought it would be. What changed the last few years in Winnipeg? It’s weird his non offensive numbers tailed off when they acquired Dubois. I don’t remember hearing stories of his attitude or anything in Winnipeg until they acquired Dubois.

I know the beginning of this year some Winnipeg fans said he committed to improving his play without the puck and was doing ok with it. He will never be a PK wizard. We are spoiled to watch the greatest defensive forward to ever play the game. But I think getting him out of that environment and putting him in a place like Boston could do wonders for him.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Kinda bummed we didnt get a 2nd for hall. Happy 6 million aav opened up but pissed we didnt even get a 3rd or 4th. Chicago had sweeney cornered.

I was a 100% no on Scheifele at the beginning. But then I started taking a dive into some of his career stats. For a few years there his faceoff percentage was coming up and was a valued member of their PK. He was a consistent plus player. The last few seasons his defensive play has tailed off. His face off percentage is better than I thought it would be. What changed the last few years in Winnipeg? It’s weird his non offensive numbers tailed off when they acquired Dubois. I don’t remember hearing stories of his attitude or anything in Winnipeg until they acquired Dubois.

I know the beginning of this year some Winnipeg fans said he committed to improving his play without the puck and was doing ok with it. He will never be a PK wizard. We are spoiled to watch the greatest defensive forward to ever play the game. But I think getting him out of that environment and putting him in a place like Boston could do wonders for him.
Would love it and what price ? Donny just gave hall basically for free . We better get a good deal here.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Yeah adding him to go along with Tkachuk, Bennett and Ekblad would be great for Boston, we wouldn't have to worry about getting out of the second round for years to come.

I understand hating players, I have quite a list with the likes of Heinen, Janney, Spooner, Kokolachev, Milbury, plenty to name. Your hate for Bertuzzi is similar to mine for those players, I personally don't see it but I understand it.
You can like a player and not want to sign him to a long term deal. 4 years, sign me up. 6 years major pass.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
No, a player that would be overrated is somebody who gets way more credit than there skill and production justifies. With analytics this has become an epidemic.

An overpaid player is a good player who teams overpaid for what they bring. In recent Bruins memory this includes Grzelcyk and Coyle as perfect examples. Both are good players, I may not like eiter of them but they are good but they are overpaid for what they bring. Coyle should be paid as a good third line 40 point center, between 2-3.5 million. Grzelyk as a third pair D 1.5 to 2 million.

Krug is overpaid but runs a power play well, is physical for his size, plays with heart and is a team leader. At 50% retained he would be a good addition. At tis point they may be able to get a third team involved to eat more of the contract
Get ready to be surprised...Gryz had more hits than Krug last year, albeit in more games. Outscored him at 5 on 5 as well...Krug has been cooked for a while, I dont miss having to heavily shelter him at 5 on 5.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Would love to know what Strickland's definition of formal discussions is.

I'll stick with the info from our own @DominicT
In absolute fairness. The words Don Sweeney and good communication haven't really been used together in the same sentence during his whole time as GM. For better or worse...

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You can like a player and not want to sign him to a long term deal. 4 years, sign me up. 6 years major pass.
What if they sign him for 6 and trade him after 4? Unless they give him a full NMC they don't have to keep players for the entirety of the contract.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
So, If the Bruins have communicated all along that they are interested in signing Bertuzzi like Strickland says then who the F*** have they "communicated" that to if not Tyler Bertuzzi and Todd Reynolds?

"Hey Andy, we want to sign Bertuzzi but we don't want to talk to him. Can you Tweet that in hopes Tyler and his agent read it and they get back to us?"

Panthers have significant interest?

"Hey Andy, we can't express any interest in signing Tyler Bertuzzi because that's tampering. Can you tweet it out in hopes that he sees it and doesn't sign with Boston before July 1 so that we can talk to him?"

I really hate this time of year. Not really. It's the time of year when I know who I should and shouldn't be following on Twitter.
Dude share a list with your friends this is exhausting

What if they sign him for 6 and trade him after 4? Unless they give him a full NMC they don't have to keep players for the entirety of the contract.
Yeah good point as long as it doesn't cost them assets to do so.

Reactions: NDiesel

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Twitter is a great source once you learn how to filter out the noise. Strickland and I went nose to nose going back to the Bruins going after Brayden Schenn when he called me some not pleasant names, so of course, he wasn't a follow to me. Turns out in the end, I was right. The only reason I saw the tweet is because @Alicat sent it to me.

Anyway, it depends on the info you want to get. I think you're better off following the National writers but the local writers are great for Bruins only news. Again, depends on the info you want.

Secondly, I turn off re-tweets that way, I only see what I want to see and not some garbage retweeted by someone else. I also set my timeline to show only tweets of people I follow and not what Twitter calls "for you" because it's not always for me.

Thirdly, whenever a Twitter ad comes across my timeline, I immediately block who it's from, never to see their ads again. It doesn't eliminate them altogether, but in time, it greatly reduces the ads I see.

Fourth, I never, ever check my notifications unless I am doing a mailbag and ask people to send in their questions. It's never worth the engagements with the people that respond.

Finally, if I do tweet something out, I never, ever read the replies. If there is a reply worth reading, it usually comes from someone I follow and it will show up in my timeline anyway and I will see it.

These things have made Twitter a much happier place for me. I use to get literally thousands of tweets across my timeline a day. Now, i get maybe a hundred. It works for me.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

The whole reason Laine wanted out of Winnipeg and the Jets made that trade for Dubois is cause the veteran leadership there (Scheifele and Wheeler) were really shitty to him and pushed him out. He's not a good leader or locker room guy. It's part of the package that your trading for if you acquire him.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
The whole reason Laine wanted out of Winnipeg and the Jets made that trade for Dubois is cause the veteran leadership there (Scheifele and Wheeler) were really shitty to him and pushed him out. He's not a good leader or locker room guy. It's part of the package that your trading for if you acquire him.
Really? I remember that Laine wanted to be the next Phil Kessel and not play anything but offense, so his coach drop him from the top line and benched him several times. I have no doubt leadership talked to him about it and he had a fit and wanted out. He has not exactly exploded as a player in Columbus....

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Did you say rumor(our) or fact?

Well no team is going to come out and say a guy is the problem because it wouldn't look good to other teams. Although after Laine was traded it was reported that part of why he wanted out was because of Wheeler and Scheifele. Lets be honest here if the environment in Winnipeg locker room is toxic and Scheifele has been a leader in WPG (wearing the A) for the last 7 years.....Either he's part of the problem or he's a really bad leader. Scheifele was the very first pick for the Jets when they returned, he's been the face of their franchise and yet they're looking to trade him? He hasn't requested a trade and he's been one of your top producing players. Apparently he's beloved by fans in WPG, so why would WPG not want to re-sign him and make him a Jet for life?

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
This. We go through the same thing year after year with Gryz. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. The forum hypes him up with his analytics and +/- , then the dude plays AHL level at best in the playoffs
Did he “play” AHL level at best or did he just not get played by his coach?

Florida beat us with an aggressive forecheck. I submit if the coach didn’t overthink everything and played Gryz we’d have been far better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad