Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

NASHVILLE — Don Sweeney, a pretty good golfer when he takes the rare chance to escape the Bruins’ executive offices, staged his own version of Moving Day on Monday when he moved Taylor Hall’s $6 million cap hit on the Chicago Blackhawks.

Don’t expect the offloading to end there. There is more to come from the Bruins general manager, out of sheer financial necessity. Sweeney arrived in town ahead of Monday night’s NHL Awards ceremony and the draft that starts Wednesday in need of carving a minimum $10 million off his payroll in order to fit his 2023-’24 roster within the league’s $83.5 million salary cap max.

Next to move? The buzz, amid the hubbub of the awards ceremony, was that Matt Grzelcyk (cap hit $3.7 million) was being offered around the league — with perhaps Chicago the suitor.

Sweeney is scheduled to meet with the Boston media prior to 1 p.m. Tuesday, and perhaps will disclose some of his plans leading up to the start of the draft. Typically, he divulges little.

The math alone all but speaks for Sweeney. Even with the 31-year-old Hall’s hefty salary whisked off to the Windy City, the GM still needs to take a full-blown Awaken 180º approach to trimming off his payroll fat prior to the season’s October start.

Some quick math, per puckpedia.com: As of Monday night, Sweeney was $10.9 million under the cap, but factoring in only 14 roster players. One of those 14, by the way, included Mike Reilly (cap hit: $3 million), the blue liner kept in AHL Providence cold storage virtually all season to free up capital used to accommodate other varsity roster members. It is highly likely that Reilly will be bought out this week. If so, he would have to be paid only $2 million, and his new cap hit would reduce to $1 million for each of the next two seasons.

Factoring a complete varsity roster of 23, Sweeney must find a way to tie up nine or 10 more players with his $10.9 million, possibly $12.9 million, in spending money. Ideally, one of those players would be goalie Jeremy Swayman, a restricted free agent whose market value today is in the range of $3 million to $5 million per season, depending on term length.

The forces at play could force Sweeney ultimately to move Ullmark — likely for prospects only — and essentially hand Swayman the $5 million per season currently allotted to Ullmark. In that scenario, second-year pro Brandon Bussi would become the No. 1 candidate to be Swayman’s partner.

The speedy Hall, though a streak scorer, will be missed. His moving on also indicates that Sweeney would like to retain Tyler Bertuzzi, the cagier, slightly younger (28) left winger picked up from Detroit at the trade deadline.

Only one problem: money (surprise!)

Bertuzzi probably will draw offers upward of $7 million per season as an unrestricted free agent, which would represent all the money clawed back in the Hall deal, plus another $1 million. Cruel math. High stakes whack-a-mole.

Sweeney would need all of his $10.9 million just to secure Bertuzzi and Swayman, and that might not be enough.

Sweeney, if out of options, can top off the roster tank with a bunch of kids or older UFAs, all of whom would be around $1 million-a-year stocking stuffers. The math would work, but coach Jim Montgomery, fully prepared to work with a less talented lineup in 2023-24, would have half a lineup fit for a Stanley Cup run, half a lineup fit for a Calder Cup run.

So hold on, Bruins fans, the cutting is expected to continue, especially if Sweeney’s desire is to retain the likes of Bertuzzi and Hathaway. If so, he’ll have to consider culling out Jake DeBrusk ($4 million) and/or Charlie Coyle ($5.25 million) among the forwards. In back, if not Grzelcyk, then either Brandon Carlo ($4.1 million) and/or Derek Forbort ($3 million) might have to go.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
They beat Florida
I thought you were on point in another post related to acquiring Lindholm where you said that Stanley Cups are won with 26 year old first line centers, not over 30 guys.

I don't see acquiring a center as a must have. I saw this team play well enough (and win!) against Florida without Bergeron or Krejci. We should keep the structure of that lineup as much as possible, and supplement with young talent in the bottom six/ bottom pair where they belong.

I did the rough math and I think the follow lineup squeaks under the cap.

Marchand/Coyle/DeBrusk
Bertuzzi/Zacha/Pastrnak
Lauko/Frederic/Merkulov
Greer/Beecher/McLaughlin

Forbort - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Zboril - Regula

Ullmark
Swayman

There's also an option here to move out Ullmark for a 1st that can be used to make a big acquisition at the deadline. Potentially that top six center or an impactful 3rd line forward.
They beat Florida G3\4 in large part due to Ullmark's tending and Florida's lack of finish.
From the last ten minutes of G3 thru first half of G4 Boston was out shot something like 18-3. Winning 2 PO games is way to small a sample size being comfortable with Zacha\Coyle being your #1\2 C

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
How about…

Ullmark to Pit for a 1st
DeBrusk, Frederic and a 1st for Lindholm and Hanifin @50%
Grzelcyk (now expendable due to Hanifin) to Chi for a 2nd
B’s sign Bert to 6/$36m
B’s sign Wood to 2/$4m
B’s sign Hathaway to 2/$3m
B’s sign Lucic to 1/$1m

March Lindholm Bertuzzi
Lauko* Zacha Pastrnak
Wood Coyle McLaughlin
Lucic Beecher Hathaway
X:Greer

Hanifin McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Forbert Mitchell
Zboril Regula

Swayman Bussi

$2.6m in cap space (over $12.5 at the deadline to upgrade top6 wing). And a 2nd round pick in this year’s draft.

*Or Merkulov/Lysell or flip with Bertuzzi

**Also could potentially move Ullmark and Gryz to Chi for a 1st and 2nd. They have two 1sts and four 2nds.

I don't think that's enough for both Lindholm & Hanfin. Its likely good enough to land one of them, but not both. What you're offering is similar (maybe slightly more) than what Vancouver got for Horvat this year, so it should cover Lindholm. To add Hanifin I think you're looking at something similar to what we gave up for Lindholm. So you're looking at adding roughly another 1st + 2nd + prospect.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
They beat Florida

They beat Florida G3\4 in large part due to Ullmark's tending and Florida's lack of finish.
From the last ten minutes of G3 thru first half of G4 Boston was out shot something like 18-3. Winning 2 PO games is way to small a sample size being comfortable with Zacha\Coyle being your #1\2 C

There were more than a few regular season games without Bergeron/Krejci where the Bruins steamrolled opponents. I would rather give 26 year old Zacha the chance to develop into the next late-bloomer ala Lindholm/Zibanejad/JT Miller than acquire an over 30 center at top dollar to plug a hole. This roster should be getting younger, not older. If we bring in a legit veteran top six center, Charlie Coyle should be moving out as part of the transaction.

Reactions: Fenian24

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
There were more than a few regular season games without Bergeron/Krejci where the Bruins steamrolled opponents. I would rather give 26 year old Zacha the chance to develop into the next late-bloomer ala Lindholm/Zibanejad/JT Miller than acquire an over 30 center at top dollar to plug a hole. This roster should be getting younger, not older. If we bring in a legit veteran top six center, Charlie Coyle should be moving out as part of the transaction.
Bergeron only missed 4 games this year so that's not true.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don't know enough about it. But what I have heard is that entire leadership group in winnipeg, including Blake wheeler, has been a mess. Terrible. Which is why they want to get rid of all of them. I don't want a guy like that on my team.

Fair.

But sometimes combinations of people are toxic, but the individuals themselves aren’t.

Who knows his role in it all?
Giving the Leafs a competent goaltender sounds like a bad idea.

Until April.

Last edited:
Reactions: GordonHowe and TCB

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I don't think that's enough for both Lindholm & Hanfin. Its likely good enough to land one of them, but not both. What you're offering is similar (maybe slightly more) than what Vancouver got for Horvat this year, so it should cover Lindholm. To add Hanifin I think you're looking at something similar to what we gave up for Lindholm. So you're looking at adding roughly another 1st + 2nd + prospect.
Fair point. I wonder if Lohrei gets it done. Like PLD for Vilardi, Hanifin for Lohrei.

I hate to lose Lohrei but if the Bruins are going to have Hanifin/Lindholm on the left side for the next 6-8 years, then maybe he’s expendable.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I thought you were on point in another post related to acquiring Lindholm where you said that Stanley Cups are won with 26 year old first line centers, not over 30 guys.

I don't see acquiring a center as a must have. I saw this team play well enough (and win!) against Florida without Bergeron or Krejci. We should keep the structure of that lineup as much as possible, and supplement with young talent in the bottom six/ bottom pair where they belong.

I did the rough math and I think the follow lineup squeaks under the cap.

Marchand/Coyle/DeBrusk
Bertuzzi/Zacha/Pastrnak
Lauko/Frederic/Merkulov
Greer/Beecher/McLaughlin

Forbort - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Zboril - Regula

Ullmark
Swayman

There's also an option here to move out Ullmark for a 1st that can be used to make a big acquisition at the deadline. Potentially that top six center or an impactful 3rd line forward.
Lindholm is on the upper edge of that Cup winning age-window. That team that I posted had 18 guys in their mid-20’s.

I agree that the B’s could get by with Coyle and Zacha. I think management considers that an option, just not Option A. I don’t think they’d ice a team with Forbort in the top pair, or two rookies on one line, or two inconsistent, unproven defensemen in the same pair.

I think Sweeney intends to contend, Neely intends to contend. I fully expect them to try to build a winner around Pasta and McAvoy.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
The obsession with PLD is cringey. Sorry don't want a guy like him in the locker room.
It’s been like this for a bit around here for basically any center not saying this guy isn’t better but the Strome love and before that Dvorak :whaaa?:

Reactions: Alicat

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Krug is not needed........

I guess it depends if they move forward without Orlov or a plan to replace him in a trade, otherwise one of forbort/zboril/reilly becomes your 2LD. You could had a third retaining team that STL needs to pay for but the idea was to get a first and additional picks to take the contract. chemistry with carlo was always there.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I guess it depends if they move forward without Orlov or a plan to replace him in a trade, otherwise one of forbort/zboril/reilly becomes your 2LD. You could had a third retaining team that STL needs to pay for but the idea was to get a first and additional picks to take the contract. chemistry with carlo was always there.
Krug is overpaid and overrated ......sorry

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
If STL retained 50% on Krug and threw in a 1st and a 3rd for Gryz and Frédéric it would be okay in my book.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Fair point. I wonder if Lohrei gets it done. Like PLD for Vilardi, Hanifin for Lohrei.

I hate to lose Lohrei but if the Bruins are going to have Hanifin/Lindholm on the left side for the next 6-8 years, then maybe he’s expendable.

As part of a package, I don't see why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad