8- Brad Lambert
9- Jonathan Lekkerimaki
10- Isaac Howard

Dang he did our boy Slaf dirty....

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Miroshnichenko coming over, putin must be asleep at the wheel!

Where did you see that?

Nevermind, found it. CapFriendly doesn't have a contract signing for Washington yet.

It should be noted that all players can terminate their contracts with KHL, but they have to pay the organization to do it. Basically, you buy yourself out of your contract. It can be a significant amount depending on length & cost of contract.

NHL teams are not allowed to buy out contracts of KHL players. This is a NHL stipulation, and organizations are fined heavily for trying it. I believe Carolina was fined $1.1m for attempting it, as they're trying to get Alexander Nikishin to come over.

Miroshnichenko had one year left on his contract.

Last edited:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Just for reference, here was Scott Wheeler's Top 10 before the 2022 NHL Draft

1- Shane Wright
2-Simon Nemec
3- Logan Cooley
4- Matthew Savoie
5- Juraj Slafkovsky
6- David Jiricek
7-Joakim Kemell
8- Brad Lambert
9- Jonathan Lekkerimaki
10- Isaac Howard

What a terrible list :laugh:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I didn't think Russian players were allowed to terminate their contracts with their respective KHL teams?

They are, but they owe the organization the balance of the contract. If Miroshnichenko was making $100,000 next year, the player pays some agreed portion of that amount up to full amount to his KHL organization.

Miro had one year left, and who knows how much he needed to pay. NHL teams are not allowed to buyout the contracts.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Scott Wheeler's top 10

1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Michkov
4. Carlsson
5. Smith
6. Benson
7. Moore
8. Perreault
9. Dvorsky
10. Wood

We need to stay in top 5. Pretty much explains why Arizona was so desperate to pass us they continuously played their worst goalie towards the end.

I've gone off Benson a bit as I'm concerned his play style just makes him injury prone at next level. I'm concerned his future maybe Fabbri-like.

Hopefully no one behind us wins the lottery.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I like Benson, he plays with such enthusiasm that he’s fun to watch.

Just think he’s a notch below the likes of Smith and Dvorsky.

Suddenly I’m feeling like we could be screwed lol could end up picking 7th and 30th instead of 5th and 17th.

I remember getting into so many arguments about KKs shot. People comparing him to Eli

I believe we'll have another mid round pick.

Dang he did our boy Slaf dirty....

Slaf was 4th overall for me too. I always believed in him, but knew it would take 4-5 years to connect.
I just don't like picking players who need 4-5 years in Montreal, very hard market to evolve slowly like this.

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
Agreed. First I had to cheer for the Bruins and now I have to cheer for the Leafs...I feel so dirty.

I will not ever cheer for the laffs, let the pick be bottom 4, it is worth it to see the leafs out of the playoffs, besides the meltdown at tsn and leafsnet is almost priceless, also the steve dangle reaction should be a yearly tradition.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Earlier this year I speculated on the mainboards about how Michkov is using his contract as a way to influence where he will be drafted. Given the news about Miro I thought I'd repost it.

My theory is that Michkov has no interest in playing for the "less desirable" teams that frequent the top-5 on any given year and has signed the contract as a way to try and manipulate them into not drafting him similar to how Jagr did it in his draft year.

For those of you unfamiliar with the story, the oral history is that Jagr wanted to play with Mario. In Jagr's draft year Pittsburgh had the 5th pick. Jagr told teams 1-4 that he wouldn't come over for a few more years, but then told Pittsburgh he would show up tomorrow if they picked him. The rest is history.

I suspect that Michkov will tell teams he is not interested in playing for that he will honour the remainder of his contract, whereas teams he is interested for he will tell them in the interviews he's interested in exploring options to come over earlier.

For this to happen the following has to be true:

1. Michkov would have to be drafted by a team he is interested in joining
2. Michkov's contract would have to be low enough that he could buy it out without compromising his future financially.
3. The speculation I found on Twitter is that Michkov is making anywhere from $1M to $6M, but that was pre-sanctions, and the exchange rate has been volatile since then.
4. If it's at the lower end of that range, he could likely buy out his contract and come out ahead financially over the first 5 years of his career, but it does carry risk if he gets injured before his ELC is done.
5. He would need access to financial resources to do this, this could be a combination of savings or maybe a private loan, but I don't think the hurdle to this is a challenge given his reputation and projection, and depending on exchange rate fluctuations there may be an arbitrage element here.
6. He would have to not fear any repercussions to him or his family.

Also worth noting is the financial calculus changes on this every year for the remainder of his contract. So while the conditions above might not be met at the end of this season, it could be met at the end of next season for example.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
They are, but they owe the organization the balance of the contract. If Miroshnichenko was making $100,000 next year, the player pays some agreed portion of that amount up to full amount to his KHL organization.

Miro had one year left, and who knows how much he needed to pay. NHL teams are not allowed to buyout the contracts.
Since he probably had a pretty small contact in the KHL, his NHL signing bonus probably covers the cost of buying out his contract.

Won't be the case for Michkov tho!

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Miro and his team had an agreement, that’s why he can come over before his contract ended. Not sure Michkov has this kind of agreement.

8BE4CCA4-1E0F-4050-A745-E2C90C575043.jpeg

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Miro and his team had an agreement, that’s why he can come over before his contract ended. Not sure Michkov has this kind of agreement.

View attachment 701004

He won't but the issues around Michkov isn't the 3 year contract (it might be for some) it's about whether he would be permitted to leave Russia when it is up.

Miro was permitted.. so that's a good news story.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I really don't get why some are so lukewarm on Slaf yet are drooling over the guys that are likely available to us with our pick.

I think some are too ensconced in the narratives that this year's so amazing for forwards and last year was the worst year ever to get a no.1

Do yourself a favour and look at Slaf's pre-draft highlights. He was doing more impressive things against men. Not the best of the best of the world because that would be INSANE lol. But damn fine players nonetheless.

I would be fairly shocked if we end up with a better player than Slaf with this pick.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I really don't get why some are so lukewarm on Slaf yet are drooling over the guys that are likely available to us with our pick.

I think some are too ensconced in the narratives that this year's so amazing for forwards and last year was the worst year ever to get a no.1

Do yourself a favour and look at Slaf's pre-draft highlights. He was doing more impressive things against men. Not the best of the best of the world because that would be INSANE lol. But damn fine players nonetheless.

I would be fairly shocked if we end up with a better player than Slaf with this pick.

Yes agree with you. Slafkovsky is a unique young player with impressive skillset. People need to see that we have picked a very very good one with Slaf. Already a great two-way ability and great protection of puck at 18 years old. He have always put great stats in Sloviakia junior and Finland junior aswell.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yes agree with you. Slafkovsky is a unique young player with impressive skillset. People need to see that we have picked a very very good one with Slaf. Already a great two-way ability and great protection of puck at 18 years old. He have always put great stats in Sloviakia junior and Finland junior aswell.
and he's still quite raw. Which makes it all the more impressive. He's far from a finished product. He'll need some time.

I should be a bit more precise though. I would be surprised if we get someone with more upside more so. Slaf could bottom out as a 50 pt guy. It's not impossible. He just has way too much going for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad