2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
You are right. Either Leafs are going out after one round,
or we get 17 pick. There is no down side.
Well it's a good way to look at it, and we have no impact on the outcome anyway, but this situation is the outcome of the least favorable results in the first round for Habs fans. We had to cheer for Panthers to lose that 1st round.

However, cheering for Boston felt unnatural too, so whatever.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Dvorsky is so steady, so a 200ft player, so a kind of player you can win with. When the chips are down, prospects like Dvorsky are there to try super, super hard with his ceiling of 0.85ppg.
Not all teams are built around superstars. Carolina doesn't really have a superstar. Aho and Svechnikov the closest offensively. Defensively, a really good unit of 6 with Slavin and Pesce being the best (but not prototypical superstars).

Yet they will be good for years to come because of their smart cap management and great depth. If they keep doing well at the draft on top of it, the jerks will be in the way for a long time.

If Have have strong depth at all positions and are led by not-quite-superstars Caufield and Suzuki along with solid defensemen like Guhle and good development from others around them, we may have a very good exciting team.

I would love to draft a superstar, but if that can't happen, a Dvorsky to complement other kind of players and give great depth would not be a bad scenario.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm kinda surprised to see so many of you invested on the Leafs as much. I personally couldn't care less if they win the Cup, good for them if it happens.

Go Leafs go if it means we get 17th, it's all that matters.
This is an insane take. I can’t turn on any Canadian sports channel without analysts talking about what type of juice Matthew Knies drinks just before taking his pregame nap.

I’ve never been to an NHL or CHL game without some asshole(s) wearing a Leafs jersey when the game has nothing to do with them.

Try growing up close to Toronto in the 90s and early 2000s. The level of entitlement of those fans is disgusting. And that’s without ever accomplishing anything other than beating the Sens every season.

Them winning anything is completely unbearable. I like the Raptors, but after winning, even their fans have become f***ing obnoxious to the point that I don’t give a shit about them. Toronto cannot win. Seriously, f*** the 17th pick. It’s all a crapshoot from 15-32.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Not all teams are built around superstars. Carolina doesn't really have a superstar. Aho and Svechnikov the closest offensively. Defensively, a really good unit of 6 with Slavin and Pesce being the best (but not prototypical superstars).

Yet they will be good for years to come because of their smart cap management and great depth. If they keep doing well at the draft on top of it, the jerks will be in the way for a long time.

If Have have strong depth at all positions and are led by not-quite-superstars Caufield and Suzuki along with solid defensemen like Guhle and good development from others around them, we may have a very good exciting team.

I would love to draft a superstar, but if that can't happen, a Dvorsky to complement other kind of players and give great depth would not be a bad scenario.
The Habs haven’t had a PPG player since that one season of Kovalev and haven’t drafted and enjoyed the services of a PPG player in even longer than that.

I respect the pragmatism and learned helplessness of Habs fans who have been made to expect the least from their players and their team but I think with the new regime we should also expect a new approach. If after two years of miserable tanking (and missing the playoffs in half of the last six years, or so) we will still find ourselves having ZERO prospects that we can reasonably expect to have PPG upside… I’m not sure what’s the point of all this. We don’t have a Aho or Svech! We need to swing for the biggest point producing upside, as a necessity.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
This is an insane take. I can’t turn on any Canadian sports channel without analysts talking about what type of juice Matthew Knies drinks just before taking his pregame nap.

I’ve never been to an NHL or CHL game without some asshole(s) wearing a Leafs jersey when the game has nothing to do with them.

Try growing up close to Toronto in the 90s and early 2000s. The level of entitlement of those fans is disgusting. And that’s without ever accomplishing anything other than beating the Sens every season.

Them winning anything is completely unbearable. I like the Raptors, but after winning, even their fans have become f***ing obnoxious to the point that I don’t give a shit about them. Toronto cannot win. Seriously, f*** the 17th pick. It’s all a crapshoot from 15-32.
Take a deep breath, the Leafs winning the Cup won't change a thing in your life I promise you.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Maybe I'm coping right now, but it feels like if someone knows what's up with Michkov, it will be Bobrov (through his connections). That makes me slightly more comfortable, whether we pick him or not.

If a Russian prospect taken in the 1st round gets out without a hitch and over to NA - then there is no Michkov situation. We are talking about being able to get players out of Russia during the Ukraine invasion.

Good sign.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
If a Russian prospect taken in the 1st round gets out without a hitch and over to NA - then there is no Michkov situation. We are talking about being able to get players out of Russia during the Ukraine invasion.

Good sign.
The difference is, Miro was playing 8 minutes per game, hence motivating him to leave for a better opportunity. Michkov will be given more icetime and better linemates, on the top KHL team. Where it gets interesting is, if after 2 years he's dominating the league, he could potentially come earlier.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

MICHKOV BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

WoW good news. Habs really need to stay in top 5. Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov or Smith. That's will be unreal to grab one of them. (Benson, Leonard, Dvorsky, Yager or Reinbacher) are still great consolation prize, for sure. But I want that top 5!!

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Honestly, after the U18s Reinbacher should not really be in the conversation anymore for our first pick, even if it's 7th OA.
So we need to put a player out of the conversation because he wasn't at the U18 ??

U18 is a 10 days tournament, on an international ice/rules with and only 4-5 teams that are competitive that you only face in semi final and in final. It's a cool tournament since you can see a lot of prospect tougher but It need to be a little piece of your evaluation. How the player played with his team all season long is way more important then how he played at the U18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad