2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
and he's still quite raw. Which makes it all the more impressive. He's far from a finished product. He'll need some time.

I should be a bit more precise though. I would be surprised if we get someone with more upside more so. Slaf could bottom out as a 50 pt guy. It's not impossible. He just has way too much going for him.

Slaf and Dach have similar trajectory of their career. Dach put only 24 points in 64 games and Slaf 10 points in 39 games (16 points race in 64 games).

They are both big, they are both have good two-way game, they are both good at protection of puck, they are both great playmaker. Slafkovsky have better shot.

This year, Dach produce like a 3rd overall pick, 38 points in 58 games. 54 points race over 82 games. So Slafkovsky have 2-3 years to development all his talent and can produce at 21-22 years old...

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I really don't get why some are so lukewarm on Slaf yet are drooling over the guys that are likely available to us with our pick.

I think some are too ensconced in the narratives that this year's so amazing for forwards and last year was the worst year ever to get a no.1

Do yourself a favour and look at Slaf's pre-draft highlights. He was doing more impressive things against men. Not the best of the best of the world because that would be INSANE lol. But damn fine players nonetheless.

I would be fairly shocked if we end up with a better player than Slaf with this pick.

We just watched him play in the NHL though?

• Haha
Reactions: ReHabs

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
He won't but the issues around Michkov isn't the 3 year contract (it might be for some) it's about whether he would be permitted to leave Russia when it is up.

Miro was permitted.. so that's a good news story.
Yeah I have zero risk associated to Michkov wanting to come here or him busting.

The only issue is really political reasons going forward , it sucks. Nobody can predict the state of things 3 years down the line

Reactions: WinterLion

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Slaf and Dach have similar trajectory of their career. Dach put only 24 points in 64 games and Slaf 10 points in 39 games (16 points race in 64 games).

They are both big, they are both have good two-way game, they are both good at protection of puck, they are both great playmaker. Slafkovsky have better shot.

This year, Dach produce like a 3rd overall pick, 38 points in 58 games. 54 points race over 82 games. So Slafkovsky have 2-3 years to development all his talent and can produce at 21-22 years old...
yeah and I don't think I would've took Dach over Slaf in the same draft. I think his upside is massive but he might take awhile to get there.

I think the AHL is the right move. I don't think it'll ruin him being in the NHL but I still like the safer route. Kid HAS to keep his head up though.

Reactions: Doublechin

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
We just watched him play in the NHL though?
and he struggled but showed some positive things. I think he was too raw to start there doesn't mean the experience will cripple him. It might it might not. His rawness is what makes it hard to evaluate at this point. But it does bode well for his upside. if he puts it together he'll be a monster. I can say that with a ton of confidence.

I don't see many of the guys we could possibly get even getting a sniff at the NHL in their D+1.

But NHL readiness isn't even my main point. Its ultimate upside. Plenty of players have looked better initially only to be eclipsed by another young kid who just took longer. It only happens all the time. I'm guaranteeing nothing. I'm just saying that I'm not seeing the same upside from many of these names who people want. At the VERY least, these guys sure as hell aren't a tier ahead of him.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I didn't get to see a ton near the end of his season. What did you see from your side of things?

You can just see the athletic profile is certainly unique and what I particularly found encouraging was how he is able to, already at 18, take pucks off the wall, protect the puck and put the puck into places for his linemates to get a scoring chance.

I think his playmaking is underrated and will come around when he gets used to pace of the league and stops with the hope plays that most young players learn to eliminate from their repertoire.

His hands are really good for a big guy and even at 18 with games without points, he was testing the limits and trying defenseman to see what he could get away with and what will work.

We know he has a good shot and needs to shoot more. The overall package is super intriguing and while he may never be an elite level processor, what he will be able to bring to the skilled players we do have will make the lines better.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
You can just see the athletic profile is certainly unique and what I particularly found encouraging was how he is able to, already at 18, take pucks off the wall, protect the puck and put the puck into places for his linemates to get a scoring chance.

I think his playmaking is underrated and will come around when he gets used to pace of the league and stops with the hope plays that most young players learn to eliminate from their repertoire.

His hands are really good for a big guy and even at 18 with games without points, he was testing the limits and trying defenseman to see what he could get away with and what will work.

We know he has a good shot and needs to shoot more. The overall package is super intriguing and while he may never be an elite level processor, what he will be able to bring to the skilled players we do have will make the lines better.
yeah that's what I was seeing. I seen him make plenty of deft passes. Hell when I first saw him I thought he was a playmaker without a shot and I was a bit worried lol. Then I saw that he's got a damn good one and I was like 'f*** me he's well rounded'.

I don't see elite IQ but if he had it we'd be looking at a potential phenom. I think the IQ is good enough where we can still be looking at an incredible player. Like he said himself he has such a varied tool kit that he has to work on a LOT of different things. Which will likely try fans' patience but man if he puts it together you have power, finesse and swagger. Lot to like.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
It’s almost like they have more important things to worry about then hockey players?
I don't get it. Surely Putin will assassinate half of Miro's family before he ever lets him come over???

I swear some of the anti-Russian hysteria on here and within the hockey media over Michkov last few weeks was unreal. Of course they've always had more important things to worry about lol. Glad some of us stayed sane and pushed back on the dumb rhetoric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad