2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Slaf for Alex Turcotte.

You know, Turcotte is developping in the AHL so that means he still has potential. Slaf is done!
Slaf for Laf then Laf for KK then KK for Galchenyuk.

1st round forwards that are 6'4" or taller often take a few hundred games to break out. We just have to be patient and give him the time he needs to keep developing.
I’m in my 30s and only 5’11 and I still walk into furniture. I can’t imagine being that tall at his age. Everything is so awkward.

• Love
Reactions: junyab and SOLR

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Slaf for Laf then Laf for KK then KK for Galchenyuk.

I’m in my 30s and only 5’11 and I still walk into furniture. I can’t imagine being that tall at his age. Everything is so awkward.
My son is 9 and he towers over every child and one day during tennis lessons i heard a woman who was playing on the court alongside telling her friend how this 12 year old immature boy shouldn’t play with kids :laugh:

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I think Reinbacher is a more offensively polished Guhle (in his draft year).

Guhle might have a bit more upside but I think it’s damn close. Can’t discount him being close to josi’s ppg.

Him being polished could hurt his ultimate upside because you don’t know how much room there is for improvement. But that’s obviously a bit of a half truth. Definitely bodes we’ll for his floor though.

I think he’s my guy. He’s a safe pick but still high upside. I think people are turned off by the lack of flash which sometimes gets confused with upside. I think he’s just very efficient which is great for his offence translating.
I know we need RD depth. However that lack is not as bad as impact forwards. We HAVE TO draft offensive talent

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
I think Reinbacher is a more offensively polished Guhle (in his draft year).

Guhle might have a bit more upside but I think it’s damn close. Can’t discount him being close to josi’s ppg.

Him being polished could hurt his ultimate upside because you don’t know how much room there is for improvement. But that’s obviously a bit of a half truth. Definitely bodes we’ll for his floor though.

I think he’s my guy. He’s a safe pick but still high upside. I think people are turned off by the lack of flash which sometimes gets confused with upside. I think he’s just very efficient which is great for his offence translating.
There's no chance the habs pick a defence with their first pick.

Reactions: SlafySZN and Habnot

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
What do you mean? We literally have three to four impact forward (Cole, Nick, Dach and maybe Slaf) and only one impact D in Guhle.
Guhle yes. Maybe Mailloux. Maybe Hutson. Literally twice as many spots to fill upfront. We don’t have enough top 6 guys to be competitive in the long run. The high pick in one of the biggest drafts… for once let us get an impact forward with a top ten pick

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
BPA.

Reinbacher has a case at 5, even better at 7.

A top pair RD is worth an impact forward on the trade market.
I think at 7 you could make a case for Reinbacher, but you can bookmark this if you like, if someone like Benson or Leonard is still available there’s going to be a large portion of this fan base that’ll pan the pick.

At 5, we’re likely looking at one of Smith, Carlsson (if Smith to CBL rumors are true) or Michkov.

You don’t pass that up for a Reinbacher.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
BPA.

Reinbacher has a case at 5, even better at 7.

A top pair RD is worth an impact forward on the trade market.
I agrée that they do. Once they’ve proven that they can be offensive defensemen. It’s almost the only way Dmen get that kind of value these days. For forwards, if you produce, defensive shortcomings can be overlooked. Impact forwards can make an impact early. Dmen typically take longer exceptions aside.

That said, I loved Reinbacher in the U20s. Thought he really stood out. I’m just not convinced he beats out the top 7-8 guys. Just my opinion mate

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not this year to much talent for forwards.
Reinbacher is just as talented as the forwards and will probably be worth more when its all said and done.
Guhle yes. Maybe Mailloux. Maybe Hutson. Literally twice as many spots to fill upfront. We don’t have enough top 6 guys to be competitive in the long run. The high pick in one of the biggest drafts… for once let us get an impact forward with a top ten pick
Maybes everywhere.

Theres 3 spots to fill upfront with Slaf, Beck, Roy, Mesar, Farrel, RHP, Rohrer, Kidney, Heineman all looking at them and theres three spots to fill with Hutson and Engstrom looking like they wont be able to fill it.

This team needs talent everywhere.
I think at 7 you could make a case for Reinbacher, but you can bookmark this if you like, if someone like Benson or Leonard is still available there’s going to be a large portion of this fan base that’ll pan the pick.

At 5, we’re likely looking at one of Smith, Carlsson (if Smith to CBL rumors are true) or Michkov.

Picking Leonard ahead of DR would be dumb. Were talking MacAvoy vs Rakell as players. Nowhere near the same value.

Smith and Reinbacher are in the same ballpark, pick your poison IMO. I dont see Smith gelling with the team at all, hes too much of what the Habs already have IMO.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Earlier this year I speculated on the mainboards about how Michkov is using his contract as a way to influence where he will be drafted. Given the news about Miro I thought I'd repost it.

My theory is that Michkov has no interest in playing for the "less desirable" teams that frequent the top-5 on any given year and has signed the contract as a way to try and manipulate them into not drafting him similar to how Jagr did it in his draft year.

For those of you unfamiliar with the story, the oral history is that Jagr wanted to play with Mario. In Jagr's draft year Pittsburgh had the 5th pick. Jagr told teams 1-4 that he wouldn't come over for a few more years, but then told Pittsburgh he would show up tomorrow if they picked him. The rest is history.

I suspect that Michkov will tell teams he is not interested in playing for that he will honour the remainder of his contract, whereas teams he is interested for he will tell them in the interviews he's interested in exploring options to come over earlier.

For this to happen the following has to be true:

1. Michkov would have to be drafted by a team he is interested in joining
2. Michkov's contract would have to be low enough that he could buy it out without compromising his future financially.
3. The speculation I found on Twitter is that Michkov is making anywhere from $1M to $6M, but that was pre-sanctions, and the exchange rate has been volatile since then.
4. If it's at the lower end of that range, he could likely buy out his contract and come out ahead financially over the first 5 years of his career, but it does carry risk if he gets injured before his ELC is done.
5. He would need access to financial resources to do this, this could be a combination of savings or maybe a private loan, but I don't think the hurdle to this is a challenge given his reputation and projection, and depending on exchange rate fluctuations there may be an arbitrage element here.
6. He would have to not fear any repercussions to him or his family.

Also worth noting is the financial calculus changes on this every year for the remainder of his contract. So while the conditions above might not be met at the end of this season, it could be met at the end of next season for example.
I wasn’t aware of this story. Thanks for the history lesson!

Reactions: badfish

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Reinbacher is just as talented as the forwards and will probably be worth more when its all said and done.

Maybes everywhere.

Theres 3 spots to fill upfront with Slaf, Beck, Roy, Mesar, Farrel, RHP, Rohrer, Kidney, Heineman all looking at them and theres three spots to fill with Hutson and Engstrom looking like they wont be able to fill it.

This team needs talent everywhere.

Picking Leonard ahead of DR would be dumb. Were talking MacAvoy vs Rakell as players. Nowhere near the same value.

Smith and Reinbacher are in the same ballpark, pick your poison IMO. I dont see Smith gelling with the team at all, hes too much of what the Habs already have IMO.

I value DR rather highly but I’m also not blind to the fact that a lot of fans here want a forward.

The pick will be heavily debated and while I’m alright with DR at 7, I’ll have second guess at 5 or 6.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Anyone know how the payment works to buyout your contract in Russia? If, let's say Michkov was making 1 mill each season, would it take that equivalent to do so ?

Also, Canes tried to buy out Nikishin's contract. It became public knowledge and nothing was done about it.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

I would not pass on Smith and Carlsson and Dvorsky and Fantilli for Reinbacher.

But i would gladly pass on Benson and Leonard.

I would picked Reinbacher even if Michkov is still on board, but its really depending on the intel we can gather, obviously.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Anyone know how the payment works to buyout your contract in Russia? If, let's say Michkov was making 1 mill each season, would it take that equivalent to do so ?

Also, Canes tried to buy out Nikishin's contract. It became public knowledge and nothing was done about it.
Just saw it would cost approximately 600k us to buy Michkov out.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I agrée that they do. Once they’ve proven that they can be offensive defensemen. It’s almost the only way Dmen get that kind of value these days. For forwards, if you produce, defensive shortcomings can be overlooked. Impact forwards can make an impact early. Dmen typically take longer exceptions aside.

That said, I loved Reinbacher in the U20s. Thought he really stood out. I’m just not convinced he beats out the top 7-8 guys. Just my opinion mate
I agree with you on everything my friend.

Just concerning our opinion. Its really all what we do on here mate, giving our opinion. And you know, its free... And i doubt people would pay for it, much like you know, dog shit, and even then, maybe in certain context, people might pay for dog shit. I doubt people will pay for our opinions on here. Its really all that its worth. Some mates here tho think their -worth less than dog shit- opinion is the ultimate truth.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I really don't know whether or not the risk for Michkov is too great or not. I've read the arguments from both sides, and there are good points either way. But assuming that risk is low, I have to think that (unless we move up in the draft) another team will probably be willing to take him before us.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I really don't know whether or not the risk for Michkov is too great or not. I've read the arguments from both sides, and there are good points either way. But assuming that risk is low, I have to think that (unless we move up in the draft) another team will be will probably be willing to take him before us.

This is exactly what I think... if he's not gone then he will probably slip quite far down because the only reason you don't take a talent like that is for the other risk factors.

Reactions: Banjo Cat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad