2023 NHL Entry Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Damn it lol, secretly wanted Smith all along
I could kill Bob lol

Don't shoot the messenger as McKenzie only relay the information he had from some NHL scouts.
Having said that, Smith looked incredible in the U18, so it's perfectly normal that his stock rises.

Let's wait for Monday first.......cause we might be able to draft Smith and don't even want at all.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Konecny is a great player and would be very popular here with his tenacity. Great trade target.

If Leonard upside is higher he's an easy pick at 6-7.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Watch us come out of this draft with Dvorsky and the #29-32 pick from Florida.

The rebuild will be in serious trouble.
Not sure they would be that interested in Dvorsky.

I know we shouldn’t draft by need but we already have players like Suzuki and Dach. Pretty sure Hughes and Gorton wants an dynamic offensive kind of player.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
There is a reason why he is no longer a scout.

He was an enormous failure and much like Button had to go to television to find a job because they were outed as being incompetent.
At some point, all the 'good' scouts are employed by teams according to your own logic, so all the scouting opinions the general public has access to comes from such 'incompetents' as Button, who, despite their incompetence, know a lot more about the inner workings of an NHL scouting department than everyone on this board combined. What more do you want if you're looking for draft content? You think Bobrov will write a blog about his favorite prospects?

So anyways I do think the list and write up holds weight though the ranking out of 10 scale seems an inaccurate way to represent things.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
At some point, all the 'good' scouts are employed by teams according to your own logic, so all the scouting opinions the general public has access to comes from such 'incompetents' as Button, who, despite their incompetence, know a lot more about the inner workings of an NHL scouting department than everyone on this board combined. What more do you want if you're looking for draft content? You think Bobrov will write a blog about his favorite prospects?

So anyways I do think the list and write up holds weight though the ranking out of 10 scale seems an inaccurate way to represent things.
I’m surprised he even has time to post all day about prospects and online scouts when he’s so busy with his own NHL scouting job

• Haha
Reactions: Mrb1p

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Who are some interesting picks for the 3rd and 4th round? Also is there any overagers rated highly for this draft ?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I'm rooting for this kid. Rare player on the US team that wasn't handed everything and competed hard in local tournaments to get recognized.

Yeah, ranked in that 50-62 range. Kid can really skate, and loves the inside game. He was always at the net, or slot. Really stood out in good ways for Team US. One of their best players outside of Smith, Leonard & Moore.

He's not there at our 3rd pick, I don't think.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Who are some interesting picks for the 3rd and 4th round? Also is there any overagers rated highly for this draft ?
Hard to secure players but:

Jacob Fowler, Damian Clara, Adam Gajan, Yegor Yegorov For Gs.

Sidorov,Lind, Barkey, Suniev, Nadeau, Cataford, Nelson, Pinelli, fink, Myatovic, Whitelaw.

Mania, Sotheran, Lindstein, Minnetian, Dvorak, Bonk, Akey, Gibson, Strathmann, Allen, Mann

Hard to know any order, really.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

When a "scout" makes an absurd assertion like Benson is a better goal scorer than Michkov he outs himself as a clown.....there is no way around it.

We can debate all day long about which prospects are better and much of that is subjective but when a scout says things like Kaiden Guhle is not a strong skater, or Romanov is not physical or the Michkov/Benson comparison in this case there is simply no debate to be had. The scouting community has plenty of clowns who gain employment through nepotism but they are almost always exposed and kicked to the curb.

I know for a fact that these tv personalities are ridiculed by real scouts, including scouting failures like Button and this buffoon. A guy like McCagg is another example of someone who gained employment through nepotism but very quickly was exposed and discarded as he has little to no knowledge of skating/shooting mechanics and is entirely unable to identify nuances in teenagers games that indicate a high IQ ceiling.

There isn't a degree that can be attained and there isn't any way to objectively measure a prospective scouts acumen other than to give them a shot so just because someone has worked as a scout doesn't exclude them from being entirely incompetent. The Panthers were a corrupt/toxic organization full of nepotism and buffoonery as was witnessed with the Gallant situation and certain ties that we won't mention that the former owner/president? had.

I am not a scout (clearly lol) as I do not have nearly enough time/support to do the research that is required to come to an informed decision (nor does anyone else on this site). I can say with 100% confidence that I could scout in the OHL next season if I choose to and that is just a fact, but I will not, just like I have chose not to do for the last decade as it just doesn't make financial sense for me. This doesn't mean that I think I am going pick the right player more often than more casual fans. I have made more than my share of poor selections and without interviews and detailed background info combined with multiple live viewings over multiple years of each prospect it is just a crapshoot and the aspiring scouts on here with their over the top declarations are just blowing smoke up each others *** as they only have a small sample of the required data to make an informed decision.

There is a small group of posters who cry and bawl every time I point out their false prophets but it is of no consequence and matters not to myself.

I would be happy if posters just simply took the time to learn how to evaluate skating/shooting/IQ and offered more constructive observations instead of quoting people who have either proven themselves to be terrible at it or are just clearly fans pushing for clicks on their cutesy little sites and using their grossly flawed analysis as a form of empirical evidence.

Reactions: ReHabs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I love that MacKenzie's panel has Perreault, Wood and Barlow in the top 12, these guys have NHL written all over them. All three can really shoot the puck and project as potential impact players. I love Perreault's and Wood's IQ and expect them to improve their skating (Perreault has already shown improvement). Barlow gets some weird hate on here, reminds me a little of the strange Brady Tkachuk hate but I think he is going to be good as has good instincts, a great shot and the drive/leadership/tenacity/physicality to make a real difference in big games.

I am not saying they will all be better than Benson but I like all 3 of them in a Habs jersey more than I like Benson.

Now I fully expect Benson to make me look foolish lol....bookmark this one haters as it might be gold!

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Don't know if this was posted but...

Habs won't pick Michkov even if he's still available at 5 according to what Leroux has heard "from the people making decisions".

"de ce que j'ai pu jaser avec ceux qui vont prendre les décisions..."

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
If Mitchov is available at #5 and the Habs don't want him for some reason. *Leroux*
Could we use him for a trade bait ?
That means Smith is allready gone.
Like Wash probably wants him bad.
Drop to #8 and get a nice other piece from WAS.
At #8 one of Reinbacher, Dvorsky, Leonard, Benson will be there.

Don't know it this was posted but...

Leroux is really well connected , he knows more that he can say.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Don't know if this was posted but...

Habs won't pick Michkov even if he's still available at 5 according to what Leroux has heard "from the people making decisions".

Bobrov leaked this to him because the Habs are high on Michkov.

They know other scouting departments will steer clear of Michkov if they think even Bobrov doesn't want to touch him. That's when we snatch him up 🤩

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
5th truly is the sweet spot for Michkov.

I understand the reasoning of passing on him until that point. But from that point on, the other options don't project as star players or players that truly take us to the next level.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrom

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
When a "scout" makes an absurd assertion like Benson is a better goal scorer than Michkov he outs himself as a clown.....there is no way around it.
You can disagree with him and on this one perhaps everyone on the internet would agree with you but I think the essence of scouting is that it is a very imperfect science. Everyone has their own view and that's the beauty of it. If going against the grain is equated to being a clown then there's no point to the exercise of giving one's opinion.
There isn't a degree that can be attained and there isn't any way to objectively measure a prospective scouts acumen other than to give them a shot so just because someone has worked as a scout doesn't exclude them from being entirely incompetent.
You think a director of scouting is hired just to give him a shot? Any kid with a TV set can record his scouting opinions and come to a batting average. Scouts have records, they are accountable for their opinions and build resumes based off that. I believe you belittle their job to make yourself feel safer about the fact that you are a no-name pseudonymous poster on a public hockey forum.

II can say with 100% confidence that I could scout in the OHL next season if I choose to and that is just a fact, but I will not, just like I have chose not to do for the last decade as it just doesn't make financial sense for me.
Lol, please. We are all wasting time on this board and you are only kidding yourself if you do not believe given the opportunity you would not trade that (very large) amount of time spent here discussing hockey for a job in a field that evidently is a passion of yours. I believe everyone on Hfboards would accept a hockey scouting job because our very presence here is proof that we dream of it.
This doesn't mean that I think I am going pick the right player more often than more casual fans. I have made more than my share of poor selections and without interviews and detailed background info combined with multiple live viewings over multiple years of each prospect it is just a crapshoot and the aspiring scouts on here with their over the top declarations are just blowing smoke up each others *** as they only have a small sample of the required data to make an informed decision.
But that is the whole entire point of sports talk. Nobody knows anything. This is the pulp of every sports talk show ever. Meaningless but passionate babbling about things that will or will not happen, arguing for hours about whether the coin will fall head or tails. Everyone is talking out of its ass with ridiculous conviction. It's entertaining, it doesn't mean anything, it allows you to forget about your job for half an hour. This is how the media (this website included) makes money, they sell your eyeballs.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
You can disagree with him and on this one perhaps everyone on the internet would agree with you but I think the essence of scouting is that it is a very imperfect science. Everyone has their own view and that's the beauty of it. If going against the grain is equated to being a clown then there's no point to the exercise of giving one's opinion.

You think a director of scouting is hired just to give him a shot? Any kid with a TV set can record his scouting opinions and come to a batting average. Scouts have records, they are accountable for their opinions and build resumes based off that. I believe you belittle their job to make yourself feel safer about the fact that you are a no-name pseudonymous poster on a public hockey forum.

Lol, please. We are all wasting time on this board and you are only kidding yourself if you do not believe given the opportunity you would not trade that (very large) amount of time spent here discussing hockey for a job in a field that evidently is a passion of yours. I believe everyone on Hfboards would accept a hockey scouting job because our very presence here is proof that we dream of it.

But that is the whole entire point of sports talk. Nobody knows anything. This is the pulp of every sports talk show ever. Meaningless but passionate babbling about things that will or will not happen, arguing for hours about whether the coin will fall head or tails. Everyone is talking out of its ass with ridiculous conviction. It's entertaining, it doesn't mean anything, it allows you to forget about your job for half an hour. This is how the media (this website included) makes money, they sell your eyeballs.
To be fair it is pretty easy to get a job scouting in the OHL if you grew up playing with guys connected in the league. Its not really a real job for most OHL scouts. Its more of a stepping stone for people who are dedicated enough to work their way up the ranks to scout for higher levels, or a retirement/part-time gig. I used to shadow with the Guelph Storm head scout before he passed away just for fun and could have pursued it if I wasnt already working a full time career. Hockey jobs are like 95 percent nepotism. Theres plenty of NHL scouts who are total dummies too. Who's the one in charge of Boston's 2015 draft picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad